13T Drive Sprocket - Currie, eZip, iZip

DrkAngel

1 GW
Great simple upgrade for eZip - iZip external non-hub motor.
13T Sprocket Upgrade - $18 includes shipping
Plug-n-Play - except you will need longer chain
click on picture - Updated Link

Good fit, good alignment, just lengthen chain and all set to go!
OEM eZip top speed @24V w/9T sprocket = 15mph.
15mph / 9T x 13T = 21.66mph (20mph USA "legal" - reasonable expectation)

I emailed "Jon", "Contact us", requesting a quantity purchase with shipping discount.
Was sent PayPal Invoice.
Very good shipping discount on quantity = 4.
$50 for 4 = $12.50 each shipping included!

EvoBikeShop said:
Just an fyi. I had one installed on my bike with a 16t wheel sprocket on a 20in wheel. In this configuration the motor will get very hot in stop and go riding.

EBS
Yeah ... 16T + 13T ... not recommended ... unless you intend on cruising at 20-25mph, or with substantial pedal assist getting up to speed.

16T ? see - Re-Gearing the eZips -Simple Mods

Hi Dark Angel

I just noticed on the bottom of the AFT website they have a new mid drive conversion kit for the currie EZIP ebikes:

http://www.af-tech.com.au/Products_Ebikes.html

Seems to be a bolt on kit to convert and they say no wirieng changes needed.

Does anyone know how to cut and paste the pictures and text to here ?

eZip Mid-drive pics.jpg

Parts list:
Chain for motor to freewheel
14T DICTA motor Freewheel and custom sprocket adaptor
Motor Mounting Bracket with all spacers, nuts & Bolts
Left and right crank arms and bolts
2 X Low friction chain guides
44T&44T&24T Tooth DICTA Freewheeling front Chainwheel
Cartridge Bottom Bracket
Detailed colour step by step installation instructions

Add $349,

Would be nice ... but cost more than any of my complete eZips ...

Now you guys have confused me. Should I go with the 13T or the 16T. I can peddle no problem from the get go. I'm in shape. I bought this because it just looked like I could have some fun with it. I have a brand new Skyline, and am can do roughly 17mph as it stands. I'm a lightweinght, and this is the Florida flatlands. I want more top end without burning burning the motor out prematurely.

Finally got around to trying the 13T mod on an eZip.
13T motor sprocket replaces the 9T oem sprocket.
A partial disassembly was necessary ... only because I wanted to use an intact chain rather than using a repair link.
(Repair link usage would merely require loosening adjustments, but repair link degrades chain consistency! durability? )
Required a chain length of 15 - 2 T links - 30 tooth holes.

9T - 20T requires 14 - 2T links (OEM)
9T - 16T requires 13 - 2T links (16T mod)
13T - 20T requires 15 - 2T links (13T mod)

(16T combined with 13T might use OEM chain?)

Results ...
Sprocket alignment is excellent!
21-22mph motor only w/25.9V Li-ion battery, 24mph with moderate pedaling.
Acceleration seems improved 15 - 20mph.

16T mod leaves eZips in the <20mph "legal" range, while the 13T mod provide a motor only >20mph speed and assist past 25mph!

Comparative Speed vs Torque - OEM vs 20T vs 13T

24V - 20T vs 16T vs 13T.jpg

So 16T for a "legal" 20mph, 13T for a cheaper, simpler, easier faster mod.
Might be able to pass a 20mph speed limit test with a 1/2 empty battery or low tire pressure?

Any speed increase mod would greatly benefit from enhanced pedal speed assist.
14T is winding out at 20 mph.
13T high end on the 7 speed would help but 11T is recommended for higher speeds and a higher pedal assist function.

Simple and elegant 13T mod.

file.php

Newb to board, hello all. I've just ordered a new Trailz (on Woot.com for $399). I'd like to mod it to the 13T for the higher end speed increase. Where do I purchase it? Do I still need the SPA-1 tool? I'm pretty handy, but am a computer guy, not a bike guy. Is all this pretty straightforward? Any other special tools? Youtube video maybe showing start to finish of mod. Sounds like if you know what you're doing it could be accomplished in about an hour? Thanks...

So this is a sprocket for the motor, NOT a freewheel that fits on the wheel hub? Still learning the bike lingo so pardon moi if I sound like a newb...cause I AM! :shock:

Does the sprocket fit on the motor without any mods? Just remove the stock one, and replace with this one? Thanks again...

Welcome to ES. Yes the 13t is a motor sprocket. You just need regular tools to get it off. If my memory serves me right its either a 10mm or 12mm bolt that holds on the sprocket. You can get the sprocket at gngebike.com under the parts section.

EBS

So I just received my new Trailz today, waiting on the sprocket to arrive from China.

What is the actual tested speed with this new sprocket after installing on a stock Trailz?

(side note: man. date is from August of 2012, is that bad that the battery has set in the box 8 months?)

I'm looking into various options for upgrading my current electric assist (DD hub motor) and bumped into this thread. This looks like it might be an option for me. Do these motors freewheel when not under power, or is this an always-on setup? Also, is it possible to buy just the motor with associated electronics, and add your own wheel and battery?

wayover13 said:
I'm looking into various options for upgrading my current electric assist (DD hub motor) and bumped into this thread. This looks like it might be an option for me. Do these motors freewheel when not under power, or is this an always-on setup? Also, is it possible to buy just the motor with associated electronics, and add your own wheel and battery?
Freewheel on motor side so no drag for pedal only.
Requires a wheel-hub with a LHS (Left Hand Screw) threaded left side.
Kit available - Currie - IZip ebike Kit-I-Continuous Price Tracking

Strangely ... sometimes the complete eBike is cheaper than the kit!
eZip Trailz - Continuous Price Tracking

"Kit" is IZip - better quality components than EZip.

Drkangel,

Is it even necessary to remove the motor mount, just eyeballing it looks like the motor sprocket could be removed without loosening anything? Not much space between sprocket and spokes, but enough? Thanks. (still waiting on part from China)

ChiefGeek said:
Drkangel,

Is it even necessary to remove the motor mount, just eyeballing it looks like the motor sprocket could be removed without loosening anything? Not much space between sprocket and spokes, but enough? Thanks. (still waiting on part from China)

You also have to lengthen the chain so I think you would still have to take it off

DISCLAIMER: I'm real new to biking, particularly on my new eZip Trailz. So please bear with me....

I have received my 13T sprocket and wanted to know what size chain I need to get to support it. Do I use a normal bike chain? A 1/8 industrial for the drive motor? I do I get a length of chain, count x spots and use a chain breaker and a new master link to put it on?

My thoughts on this are to go to Walmart and get a length of chain, a chain breaker, and a master link (if not already in the bag with the length of chain). Try to wrap this around the new gear and the other one, and figure out what link I need to punch to put the master on and get me running.

Or should I just take the bike to a local shop and have them put the new chain on the motor, et al?

Thanks.

DrkAngel said:
Finally got around to trying the 13T mod on an eZip.
13T motor sprocket replaces the 9T oem sprocket.
A partial disassembly was necessary ... only because I wanted to use an intact chain rather than using a repair link.
(Repair link usage would merely require loosening adjustments, but repair link degrades chain consistency! durability? )
Required a chain length of 15 - 2 T links - 30 tooth holes.

9T - 20T requires 14 - 2T links (OEM)
9T - 16T requires 13 - 2T links (16T mod)
13T - 20T requires 15 - 2T links (13T mod)

(16T combined with 13T might use OEM chain?)

Results ...
Sprocket alignment is excellent!
21-22mph motor only w/25.9V Li-ion battery, 24mph with moderate pedaling.
Acceleration seems improved 15 - 20mph.

16T mod leaves eZips in the <20mph "legal" range, while the 13T mod provide a motor only >20mph speed and assist past 25mph!
1/2" x 1/8" - single speed (410) chain

"15 - 2 T links - 30 tooth holes" ... ?
The existence of the "half link" has me being tentative about calling a 1 tooth segment a "link".

I used a Walmart "chainbreaker" to build proper length chain.
Chainbreaker will put chain back together without using master link-repair link.
As mentioned previously, this requires some disassembly, but produces a "better job".
Bell chain, from Walmart includes repair-link-master link, if you want to go that way.
Plenty of chain left if you want to try a single "solid" chain later ...

Finally getting this sprocket swapped out. Uses a 10mm wrench, but what do you use to keep the sprocket from spinning when trying to remove the nut? Thanks. :)

ChiefGeek said:
Finally getting this sprocket swapped out. Uses a 10mm wrench, but what do you use to keep the sprocket from spinning when trying to remove the nut? Thanks. :)
You could purchase a chain whip ...
Much cheaper to back a small block of wood between chain and sprocket.
If chain already removed, a pair of pliers, in "wide" position, should hold sprocket.

Since this will be your 1st eZip rear wheel work ... as you are disassembling and reassembling, consider the advisability of installing a quick motor disconnect!

file.php

Attachments

• XYD-16 Bracket.JPG
    XYD-16 Bracket.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 9,088
ChiefGeek said:
Got the nut off, now the sprocket still will not come loose. Does this require some special tool? Thanks. :?:
You could purchase a gear puller ...
Much cheaper to pry with block of wood, under one side of gear then the other ... rocking from one side to another.
or
Partially loosen nut,
lift and hold by fingers under sprocket,
tap gently on nut with block of wood, screwdriver handle etc.

Oh golly, got the old sprocket off, new sprocket has two sides (obviously), one side has a taller lip than the other. Which side goes down! :roll:

Back