Frockfest

I have emailed tech support to have ebikes included as a bike category, only so we don't pollute the purists rides, but no joy yet. You don't really need to find tracks just ride around they are everywhere ;)

Hyena said:
Animalector said:
Many lycras.. I make most of my rides private because I don't want to muss with peoples king-of-mountains... One ride I did there was a 3 km section and on the electric I got kom by about 2 seconds, next thing I get an email from the prior kom telling me I was a cheat before he even knew what I was riding and before I had a chance to make the ride private. So some riders get very stroppy..very quickly
I think I've just found my new favourite past time, sign up, find said routes in my local area and then going for a brisk ride :twisted:
I shall call myself Lance2356 or something :p

Noob
You gotta practice the art of trolling, slowly start with times that are close, then slight improvements until you are equal. Then slightly nudge past, wait for them to try and improve then bait them into a game they can't win.

Trololololololo

Several local tracks at 59kph. I suspect bogans in cars. Time for offroad...

In what felt like a 10 straight hours of Kenny's lack of QC ripping me a new one with no lubrication I've gotten somewhat closer to having a bike for next race.

2013-04-14 18.30.51.jpg

Nearly had it, but the oscillation due to *list of things* is making the rear brake a frocking nightmare, so incredibly frustrated that I need to cool off.

Frock I can't wait to rip this thing off and get my BF CST on.

Frustratingly none of my controllers have re-gen, which would have been a nice short term solution......

Should have bough a stealth.....

full-throttle said:
Got a 12- and 18-FET, both 72V programmable w/ regen. Wich one do you want? PM me wire length and connectors you're using.

nooooooooooooo, I should focus on getting it right...... (will most likely cave and take you up on the offer)

Unfortunately I think correcting the issue involves machining the case :shock: because both it and maybe a bearing/axle are off.

For the race I can run 20S 8Ah front saddle bags and use a brake with cut out to trigger the re-gen.

I have minimal to no experience riding with regen :( no idea how it will handle.

It will handle like a rear brake with no modulation or feel. Regen certainly slows me down, but I feel it would not be adequate as the only rear option.. For that race track it would be fine however...

Andy

What's the motors actual symptoms ?
And did you paint the hub and not the covers (or vise versa) or is it a hybrid of 2 xlyte motors ?

t3sla said:
I have minimal to no experience riding with regen :( no idea how it will handle.
It'll be the same as when you rode my fighter. Hold a button (or ebrake lever) and after a split second delay the bike pulls up with a set amount of force. On loose gravel like sections of the goat track it'll work like ABS to not skid the wheel which is handy.
Personally I wouldn't use regen in a race situation though. I use it all the time in general riding but when I'm really riding hard like on fast tight single track I just use the mechanical brakes as I need instant response and also that modulation, with the ability to lock the back wheel momentarily to skid steer too.

I'm with Hyena on regen-only braking not really being ideal on a racetrack... I only currrently have regen on one bike, Adrian-sm's giant build, and ultimately I didn't like regen only so much that I modded up a single pivot rim brake mount to give me SOME mechanical braking as well, and truth be known it works out ok with regen and vintage road bike rim-brake...

Also, re rotor/sidecover not being true... Kudos came across a similar problem in his II Build thread... see page 3, about 12 posts down for how he "partially" resolved his issue
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38218&hilit=kudos&start=50

Joe

Hyena said:
What's the motors actual symptoms ?
This is me menstruating about it
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24593&start=1325#p727479

Hyena said:
And did you paint the hub and not the covers (or vise versa) or is it a hybrid of 2 xlyte motors ?
Paint, specifically 'plastidip' rubberized spray (you know to trap all the heat in the motor...)

twotones.jpg

Lined the edge with tape, so that just the center and spokes get sprayed, gives it a unique look :wink:

This is my attempt at the front rim, two cans used :shock:

plastidipwhiterim.jpg

Came up great.

Hyena said:
It'll be the same as when you rode my fighter. Hold a button (or ebrake lever) and after a split second delay the bike pulls up with a set amount of force. On loose gravel like sections of the goat track it'll work like ABS to not skid the wheel which is handy.
Personally I wouldn't use regen in a race situation though. I use it all the time in general riding but when I'm really riding hard like on fast tight single track I just use the mechanical brakes as I need instant response and also that modulation, with the ability to lock the back wheel momentarily to skid steer too.

Yeaarrrh, I know but see what happen to your fighter when I used regen, blew the front tire! :roll:

Yeah I've ridden bikes with it a few times, but not for extended periods or around a track.
My synopsis is it slows you down and heats your motor, but the fact that I would trigger regen using my front brake cut out leaves some questioning over ride control. I can just have something like this so that I'm that front and rear are independent.
View attachment 1

Even when everything is perfect, the oscillation it just impossible to overcome....

Thinking I just spec the bike for the race considering I'm scheduled to fly out a few days later, I'll deal with it when I return and have a CST to toy with.
Will be the third motor on this bike :oops: lol

The underside of that frame is begging for a set of hanging liPo strapons. Seriously.
(A return to innuendo).

Oh yeah heat is the other big reason you wouldnt use regen in a race, it seems to really heat things up in general riding, let alone when you're caining it.

Nice work on the paint. No drilling ?
Or had you done enough drilling on all the side cover screws after they rounded out :roll: (I'm guessing you encountered this little gift from crystalyte?) I bought a box of good quality stainless screws that I replace all mine with now.

Oh back to strava, I was sitting around a doctors surgery bored this morning so signed up and then recorded the rest of my commute to work. I rode in my usually fairly easy morning commute fashion (avg speed 33km/hr) and earned 3rd and 4th place for 2 flattish segments of my trip and 2 KOMs for the hills. Oops :lol:
1.04 time beaten by a 1.02 which is kinda close, and a and 0.30 steep hill climb beaten by a 0.28.
The calculated wattage is interesting, anyone know how that works ? Mine has and several others do too but some don't. The steep hill climb guy was supposedly doing 671w to my 711w. I'm guessing he's gonna be pissed :lol:
edit: found the setting to make it private. I might just log my afternoon pedal-heavy commutes. For now :twisted:

Jay, I'm thinking the wattage is why they get you to enter your weight, then it derives your required wattage to maintain your speed from kinematics with some assumptions around rolling/wind resistance. Try jacking your weight up to 250kg for a laugh and see what it says about your wattage after a run. :twisted:
Could be fun in itself....

Orright Kiddies!

Enuff of the idle chit chat...

Last Frockfest race really exhibited that we need better marshalling... We got anyone willing to perform this task for the 28th? Or someone who can be dragged along to do it?

Ultimately I will cover it if no-one else can step up, there do seem to be a few who might not have rides for the day so...

Anyone willing to volounteer?

We got any stopwatches available?

Carry on

Joe

Hah no you stooge, that was on my mac commuter, on medium speed setting, riding casually in a collar and tie :p
I happily cruise along about 35-40km/hr so while impatient lycras will pass by on the flat I become king of the mountain when there's a hill and I maintain that same speed.

Stooge?
Who's the one all excited about "stealing candy from the kids" here?

I might find this funny knowing you, but I'm not the only one reading this. One more reason for lycra to call us cheaters. That's just great.. :roll:

haha chill out Kim Jong Throttle :p
As I said I promptly made it private so Mr Horse Legs retains his title.
We can discuss it in my build thread if you like, lets keep this on topic

Hyena said:
lets keep this on topic
This has turned into one hell of a frockfest :lol:

Kim Jong 'Susan' Throttle
Well he made the lap pvt so no foul.

I'll acknowledge joe before he rages (and thank you for that link, made me happy to see that it's not all in my head....kinda of hard to believe a hub isn't 'true')
Ultimately I will cover it if no-one else can step up, there do seem to be a few who might not have rides for the day so...

I'll ask a mate who is rather 'German' about such matters, NEIN pedal lap. SNELL! SNELL!

Or had you done enough drilling on all the side cover screws after they rounded out (I'm guessing you encountered this little gift from crystalyte?) I bought a box of good quality stainless screws that I replace all mine with now.

Free prostate exam via Dr Kenny.

Rahhhhhhhhhhhh!
Joe Caniptions All Over The Floor!!!!! :shock:

Thanks for the acknowledgemet T!

Dammit... I just realised it is not next weekend but the following... somehow I am a week a head of myself, so I'll be chill, promise

(And I gotta remember to cancel the van I booked for next weekend... Eff!)

Joe

You found a use for that 84 V pack yet Joe? Sounds like a well suspended build would be just the ticket for the circuit. I'm regretting putting the 12 gauge wire on it now... You should be OK for 100 A bursts and 45 A continuous though.

jonescg said:
You found a use for that 84 V pack yet Joe? Sounds like a well suspended build would be just the ticket for the circuit. I'm regretting putting the 12 gauge wire on it now... You should be OK for 100 A bursts and 45 A continuous though.

For anyone interested,
14s, 3p battery made from the 5 Ah 40C cells.
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=38252&start=150#p702544

Joe has a nice 300A Kelly controller..hmmmm do I smell a super beast coming :?:

If a build using this pack is still sometime off remember to store at 50/60% SOC to avoid damage.
Anyone have an official store figure for RC lipo?

3.85 V seems to be what the bare cells arrive at. I think I sent it off as a half-charged pack, or at about 4 V maybe, so yeah, probably best you run it down a bit.

Hey Mr Jones :D

yah thanks for the tips on storage, it is holding it's voltage fine, but will drop it down a little on advice...

Kinda hoping a controller will drop from the sky that I can run the pack on but prolly need to get of my arse and source one... Got my eye on some of the smaller Kelly's

I have a frame set aside, an older e-bike with the built in battery holder beneath the seat, and a longer wheel base than the average... primarily looking to run a road build on it... looking to push around the 80kn/hr if I can...

Another plan is to get a premade road registered e-scooter, one of the ones that runs off 60 volts, and rice it up :D

Joe

Back