Should I lube my izip motor?

I have a United Motor MY1018Z 450W 24V mounted on my 2007 Izip.
$T2eC16d,!)!E9s2fDIO6BRSO9z5ge!~~48_20.JPG
P1060896.JPG
Iknow it has a gear reduction system built into it. Should I be opening it up and adding lubricant, or is it maintenance free?

You can read up on some of the previous threads about such motors (lots of posts and threads for them) but basically evertying eventually needs maintenance. How often? I dunno on that one, but if none of the other threads or posts say, you could open it up to see what it looks like when you know it's good, then periodically do the same to see if it is either altering color of lube (age, heat, etc) or losing it (leak, etc).

I lube the gear reduction (planetary gear) section twice annually.
Wheel bearing grease, coating the teeth plus a small gob where gears mesh.
About every 1000 - 2000 miles, or if motor sound different.

I have separate eZips with 6000 miles, ~4000 miles, 2 with ~3500 miles all in good motor condition.
I've run 3500+ miles, overvolted as 36V -(42V full charge), motor still running great.
You can get the newer XYD-16 motor if you prefer a quieter ride.
Also capable or regearing for 20+ mph etc. See - eZip - iZip re-gearing mods - 13T simplest

DrkAngel said:

I have separate eZips with 6000 miles, ~4000 miles, 2 with ~3500 miles all in good motor condition.
I've run 3500+ miles, overvolted as 36V -(42V full charge), motor still running great.
Also capable or regearing for 20+ mph etc. See - eZip - iZip re-gearing mods - 13T simplest

I have some multi-purpose lithium grease that should do the job?

Can i access planetary gear section by just taking off the front face plate? Or do I have to remove the motor?

Also I don’t have to remove any of the gears correct?

its_me_jason said:
DrkAngel said:

I have some multi-purpose lithium grease that should do the job?

Can i access planetary gear section by just taking off the front face plate? Or do I have to remove the motor?

Also I don’t have to remove any of the gears correct?

"multi-purpose lithium grease" should be just fine.

You must remove motor from mounting plate.
This might be all necessary screws.
Pry off cover around gear, be gentle with gasket.
There should be a thin, bowed washer under internal bearing, don't lose it, it usually falls out.

I worked grease deeply into all teeth, with a moderate excess near the motor shaft.
Grease3.JPG

Back