Custom frame, full suspension cargo bike thread

agniusm said:
Got some grips for two projects. They feel rubbery and nice:
20130228_181501

Where did you get those and a what price? They look better than the typical china throttles.

Adam

I got these localy from the guy who sells e-bike stuff. He got it from China but it is more expensive for me to ship for myself.

So i have build remote steering using arm made from tube. As was pointed out here it does have slight movement when fork travels but i dont like flex in that arm so will be rethinking my steering method. I have this idea of using hydraulics. One cylinder for steering column and the other goes on wheel connected with hose.
Would it work or would it have some looseness? Your thoughts

don't know if you're near a coast, but have a look at
the steering systems used on speed boats with outboard
motors. Could be they have too much slop though

I think mechanical like you are doing it should be fine, if you just move the pivot from the fork leg to the crown. A number of bakfiets I've seen do it this way.

Optionally you could use dual-cable steering, with pulleys to redirect it around corners, and a tensioner on each one to adjust for centering/etc.

sk8norcal said:
sick!

seen this,
lit motors,
http://gigaom.com/2011/06/01/green-overdrive-lit-motors-electric-folding-scooter/

timthumb-1223.jpeg

I liked that ebike the first time I saw it. The problem is that is no standard box size. They'd do much better with some semi-hard sides that enclose a slightly larger volume with a video of someone like a UPS guy packing the ebike that works better than his truck. There's no shortage of people in the world, and I guarantee that 2 of those could outperform a typical UPS truck with faster and more economical deliveries of the same packages.

Have finally assembled my battery pack, connected to FP 24S BMS, all looks good and working:
20130512_165342

20130512_165348

20130512_180452

20130512_180455

[youtube]BVld53jco7A[/youtube]

Hey Agnius
Were you able to get that BMS working?
otherDoc

Hi mate. No i didn't yet. I was waiting for Eason to come back to me with details about those resistors but he never did so i ordered some of ebay as i cant get them locally. Its not a problem as i still wait on my battery box and need to sort out the steering + folding scooter is in making + i started small electric boat outboard:) Most of the time i am over my head:D

Some update on this. I have made steel cable steering on the bike. so far it looks functional. Need to adjust clearances and make a tension/front wheel adjustment bolts:
[youtube]LnO_LwRrqxk[/youtube]
20130731_185513.jpg

20130731_185508.jpg

20130731_185459.jpg

I like this system as it looks clean. In the end it will be mostly hidden.

Finally after 1 years slow progress i got the chance to test the bike. So far so good. I have measured unloaded speed of 96kmh. On the test run GPS returned 70kmh:
[youtube]cNu9a3fAh_o[/youtube]
On board cam:
[youtube]iX8tD0Dq_50[/youtube]

My old Linear recumbent LWB had cable steering through pulleys and turnbuckles to tighten the cables. Worked fine. Was almost as long as your bike, Agnius. obviously not as wide.
otherdoc

http://www.linearrecumbent.com/

I had the yellow one.

Smoking kills lots of people.

I actually plan to use cane creek cloud 9 for rear suspension in some of my bike builds, lots of good reviews for it. I hope it works out well for you. I've never seen cable steering before, seems kind of crazy in my mind. I think if I was making something that large, and probably heavy, I'd probably be using motorcycle parts for things like forks and suspension.

bowlofsalad said:
Smoking kills lots of people.

I actually plan to use cane creek cloud 9 for rear suspension in some of my bike builds, lots of good reviews for it. I hope it works out well for you. I've never seem cable steering before, seems kind of crazy in my mind. I think if I was making something that large, and probably heavy, I'd probably be using motorcycle parts for things like forks and suspension.

That is what i think. Easy swap :D

I just noticed that they changed the steering design in the Linear to a single Bowden type shielded cable. Definitely not as good as the 2 cable system on my old one, similar to what you are using, Agnius. Pull-pull cables have been used on power speedboats for years on the rudder or outboard with excellent success.
otherDoc

Thanks. i am really exited about this project now. The steering feels right, not to responsive as it was prior head tube angle adjustment. Seating is good and with the seat and foot rests none will be comfortable. The concept works, now going to start fine tuning little bits.

I really dont know :) This is on hold. i dont like cable steering method and fork at the front all together so i need the time to work out center hub steering. The tested HS3540 is just, just OK, so i need more power.

Hi @agniusm , Very nice and somewhat detailed buildlog!

I wanted to ask - Could you give out more details about the BMS you use?

From which place / source did you get it?

Do you know if the manufacturer also makes 10-12S BMS modules with the same screen / software output you have?

Seems pretty cool someone is actually incorporating such feature.

--

Otherwise, nice to find out you are from Lithuania :)

Im myself from Latvia only I live on the other side (west part) of it, so our chance to meet would be a bit difficult but not impossible :)

Hope to see you soon, nice battery module idea by the way ;)

Back