What you need to know about yescomusa kits

wesnewell

100 GW
Can't beat the price performance. Their are now some comparable 1000W kits with more bang for the buck.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=48v+1000w&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1
Free shipping in US from a US company Located in CA. Normally takes a week or less to arrive.
Motor is Goldenmotor or clone. The 3 I bought all had GM part numbers on them.
Controller is 30A max. Can be increased or deceased with shunt mod to ~15-45A without beefing up traces.
48V controllers have a low voltage cutoff (LVC) of 42V. Perfect for 12s rc lipo.
500W kits come with 12 fet controller. 1000W kits come with 15 fet controller. 63V caps and 68-75V fets. So 63V max power.
Wheels don't have rim tape. You MUST install some if you don't want flats.
Tires are 1.75". Decent quality, but way too small by a long shot IMO. I'd recommend 2.125-2.4".
Rims are good quality 25mm ID. A good width, but not wide enough for tires over 2.4" imo.
Check spokes. They may need tightening. They also appear to be cheap. They are 12G 158mm, but I'd replace them with up to 160mm for their rim.
Battery wiring and fuse holder works but sucks imo. Replace with something better.
Top speed on 48V for 48v500W kit is ~25mph, and ~30mph for 48V1000W kit. 26" wheel. Don't know about others.
Update:
The newer kits come with disc brake disc and a 26A controller. The new rim is narrower also and has different length spokes. Motors have the same specs.

Depends on kit. 48V500W rear is 380rpm/ Front is 360rpm. Front and rear 48V1000W are 470rpm. Have no clue about the others.

My best guess is that a 1000w kit is wound similar to a 2806 nine continent. That, plus the 30 amps controller makes it reach 30 mph.

I've never been quite clear on one thing, Are these motors brake disk ready? Or do they use the screw on disk adapters?

I think your pretty close about the 1000W being about the same wind as the 9C 2806. The rear wheels have screw on for disc brake adapters. Fronts have no provision for disc brakes.

I've used these kits in the past.

The kits sometimes come trued and sometimes don't.
The charger that comes with the kit is worthless.
The kit definitely handles some power but I wouldn't recommend anything other than the 48V 1000watt. The wired are beefed up and controller handles a good amount of power.
Don't bother buying a rear disc adapters just use V brakes and avoid ordering the adapter which seems to be overpriced for what you get and sometimes you need to use spacers which add to the cost.

Other than that I think it is a good entry level kit with lots of room to overvolt. I've run this sensored and sensorless and it works well with both.

The price recently went up on these kits making it comparable to cell_mans kit at the same price I'd choose cell_mans anyday just because of the quality.

That's why I asked, the bikes I have with the screw on disk are a pain to fit to the bike, get it centered etc. Disk the front, and just use a v brake on the rear.

Any dishing issues with these motors?

IIRC that became non-issue when I got one of these (9C?) from eBike Kit 2010:Photo on 4-28-13 at 8.52 AM #2.jpg

Anybody know if you can pickup kits from their address? My wife's folks live nearby....

migueralliart said:
The price recently went up on these kits making it comparable to cell_mans kit at the same price I'd choose cell_mans anyday just because of the quality.
Hmmm... $284.95 for a 48V 1000W DD kit shipped to your door within a week. Please advise of any comparable kit cell man sales shipped to your door for that price. No can do so why even say it? BTW, I haven't seen a price increase on the yescomusa website. It listed at the same price3 it was 2 years ago. So why even say that?
http://www.yescomusa.com/Electric_Bicycle_Engine/?page=2

Ykick said:
Any dishing issues with these motors?
Anybody know if you can pickup kits from their address? My wife's folks live nearby....
Several have bought them at their location. I've not had any dishing problems.

Lots of similar controllers on ebay. For those running smaller lifepo4 packs, you likely want to replace the controller with a 20 amps one. Or snip a shunt and make it less than 30 amps.

One thing I liked about the newer 9c design with the disk ready hub covers was that they eliminated or at least minimized the dishing on the wheel So you get a slightly stronger wheel.

Dishing is an issue of course, if it's not dished correctly. There have been cases in the past of rear hub kits that were dished for a specific ebike frame in china. Then put them on a regular bike, and they are dished wrong. I haven't heard this complaint about the Yes kits.

There have been millions if not billions of bikes running fine on dished rear wheels. So it's not that much of a consideration, unless you want a rear disk brake, or will go out and try like hell to bend a wheel.

Not an issue with the yes com kits though, since you'd want a different type motor for extreme off road riding. For street use, or easy dirt roads, you don't need a stronger wheel or rear disk brakes that much.

sk8norcal said:
one review here,
he says does not fit standard 135mm dropout spacing??
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=41170
I've mounted their rear kits in 4 different bikes. Had to spread rear dropouts a little on all 4, but it wasn't a problem. Just took my calipers and measured my current install and it appears to be ~145mm. Now you could get them into 135mm dropouts, but you'd need to shorten the left side spacer, This would throw the center of the wheel off, so you may have to dish it to the left. I found it easier just to spread the dropouts.
wes, doesn't seem like they carry any spare parts,
good source for replacement controller?
someone i know recently bought just the wheel off CL...
This all they sell.
http://www.yescomusa.com/Bicycle_Accessories/
However, replacement parts are generic and can be found on ebay, amazon, and probably hundreds of other places.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=48v+brushless+controller&_sacat=0&_from=R40
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=48v+brushless+controller&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20130429073724

wesnewell said:
migueralliart said:
Hmmm... $284.95 for a 48V 1000W DD kit shipped to your door within a week. Please advise of any comparable kit cell man sales shipped to your door for that price. No can do so why even say it? BTW, I haven't seen a price increase on the yescomusa website. It listed at the same price3 it was 2 years ago. So why even say that?

Cell_mans DD kit comes to about $322 shipped to the states.

Considering a DD kit from cell man comes disc ready and also truly TRUED. It will make it comparable to the yescomusa kit.

I'd choose cell_man over the yescomusa kit any day just because of the quality.

migueralliart said:
wesnewell said:
migueralliart said:

Cell_mans DD kit comes to about $322 shipped to the states.

Considering a DD kit from cell man comes disc ready and also truly TRUED. It will make it comparable to the yescomusa kit.

I'd choose cell_man over the yescomusa kit any day just because of the quality.
That's a 500W kit, minus tire, charger, rear rack. battery bag, straps, freewheel, etc. By the time you add all the missing parts it will come to over $400 while you can get a 500W kit with 12 fet controller and all the parts for $230 shipped to your door. Like I said, there's no comparison.

wesnewell said:
That's a 500W kit, minus tire, charger, rear rack. battery bag, straps, freewheel, etc. By the time you add all the missing parts it will come to over $400 while you can get a 500W kit with 12 fet controller and all the parts for $230 shipped to your door. Like I said, there's no comparison.
But lets get real, who wants their cheap tire, incompatible (SLA?) charger, and low quality bag+rack+straps. should get a cellman kit (outfitted with a 12fet 4110 for +60), schwalbe tires with DH tube, LiPo, and make up a quality rack+bag+strap, or go for a frame bag. Plus, Cellmans wheel builds are almost top notch.

Some people just want a kit with everything ready to go to start with. As for quality. The tire is good quality for it's size. Just too small for my liking. The rear rack is solid steel. Able to hold my 125lb wife bouncing up and down on it. Most $50 racks would break with half that weight or less. Poor quality my ass. I don't mind pointing out the weaknesses of the kit as I've done, but at least keep it honest.

wesnewell said:
Some people just want a kit with everything ready to go to start with. As for quality. The tire is good quality for it's size. Just too small for my liking. The rear rack is solid steel. Able to hold my 125lb wife bouncing up and down on it. Most $50 racks would break with half that weight or less. Poor quality my ass. I don't mind pointing out the weaknesses of the kit as I've done, but at least keep it honest.
Ok so it has a good bike rack. Doesn't change the fact that cellman wheels are better, motors have the same stator as "1000W" hubs, and the controller can be upped to 72V 40A stock.

ian.mich said:
wesnewell said:
But lets get real, who wants their cheap tire, incompatible (SLA?) charger, and low quality bag+rack+straps. should get a cellman kit (outfitted with a 12fet 4110 for +60), schwalbe tires with DH tube, LiPo, and make up a quality rack+bag+strap, or go for a frame bag. Plus, Cellmans wheel builds are almost top notch.

Precisely !

Half of the parts on that kit aren't used. Even the tire looks like a cheap tire. The freewheel is noisy and almost disposable.

Don't get me wrong I own one of those kits so I know about the quality. Even if cell mans kit ends up 100$ more it is still hands down way better quality.

One other thing to add about them - their 14 tooth low gear freewheel is not very good. It is noisy and makes some other sounds under load. Hasn't failed, but you may want to put a better one on.

Wires come out on the derailleur side.

yescomusa is an importer of all kinds of things and ebikes are a small portion of their entire merchandise stream. It seems like there wouldn't be any help in case of problem. What happens if a part fails?

veloman said:
One other thing to add about them - their 14 tooth low gear freewheel is not very good. It is noisy and makes some other sounds under load. Hasn't failed, but you may want to put a better one on.

Wires come out on the derailleur side.
If you don't want a noisy freewheel, then oil the damn thing. Just that simple as I found out a while back when it was really noisy after more than a year and 4000 miles on it. Should have oiled it from the start. 90W gear oil works great.
Wires come out the freewheel side on the 1000W kit. Came out the left side on the 500W kit. Does that really matter? Not to me.

Back