Endless Sphere Burning Man Presence

salty9

1 kW
Burning Man, I understand is supposed to be about a community effort to improve mankind. I was wondering if the Sphere could present a program explaining the benefits of our preferred transportation to the Burning Man gathering. I do not have the slightest idea of what should be shown but I do believe that the Sphere does have a message.

I am not an organizer and believe that a gathering of more than three people is a mob but if the Sphere decides it to be worthwhile I would donate to the cause.

Comments are invited.

I've never been, but I always heard it talked about as being like those art nights a city might hold. I was reading a few years back about I think Toronto having an annual event where women run around naked overnight, etc. This one is just out in the desert at the height of summer so they can be sunburned.

If you'd prefer it all compressed into 24 hours in the city, there's always Toronto and the 'Scotiabank Nuit Blanche.' Wild photos and video to be found online, such as the legendary 'Sorry Dad I'm Naked' girl. Some disagreement just what the event was, but all claims point to Toronto. Oh, the NSFW stuff I could have hooked you up with in this post, for Burning Man and for Nuit Blanche.

Naked is ok, but it would not be the same without fire.

Who's got a tesla coil? A longtail with a tesla coil or Jacobs ladder on it would be cool.

I've wanted to go to the burn for years, but spent my vacations playing with fire while 1000 feet in the air instead. Never flew the balloon naked, but kind of wanted to go fly the cloudhopper naked at the man.

My gf's friend who is the burning man type and has been there, says my ebikes would fit in well. I don't have plans to go though.

I don't go to BM for my own reasons - mainly cos I go to the desert to get away from people, etc. My M.O. when I was doing it was off-road riding with my cousins, and drinking beer - in any order. Our favorite haunt was not too far away at Sand Mountain, NV. There's a dry lake there as well. The unique thing at the BM site is the playa - or talc as it is better known, is very fine grained, and appears like dust. Sand Mountain has some of the finest sand I have ever seen and it too resembles dust.

This dust will get into EVERYTHING. Once I took a radio/tape player out there - and from then on, that was the only radio I took because the player was ruined.

So if you have a vented hub motor out at BM, you will be washing it out when you get home.

Whatever you drive out there will have dust in it until you junk it. I can only think of one other material more permeating than desert dust - and that's animal hair :lol:

- - -

I have some pals that go regularly out to BM; they run the Quinine vehicle; mixed drinks with Quinine, water with Quinine, whatever else you can have with Quinine - they have it.

Have fun in the sun; stay hydrated! KF

[youtube]FY-AS13fl30[/youtube]

dogman said:
Who's got a tesla coil? A longtail with a tesla coil or Jacobs ladder on it would be cool.

NOW yer talkin'. Except not one longtail, TWO longtails. Working together in unity. Or, dare I say. . .

tesla-coil-fight.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FpjcOWwiI4&t=1m40s

. . . .OVERUNITY. (oh, come on, you KNEW I'd say that.)

http://hacknmod.com/hack/how-to-build-your-own-tesla-coil/

Tesla-coil_1388417i.jpg

I've wanted to go to the burn for years, but spent my vacations playing with fire while 1000 feet in the air instead. Never flew the balloon naked, but kind of wanted to go fly the cloudhopper naked at the man.

Well, even if you don't have a tesla coil up there, someone will have to play the tripendicular music.

(Already saving up stuff for the next post.)

We now return control of your internet community to you. Until next time, when the control boys will take you to. . . .

[youtube]wcV_QiuiK_Y[/youtube]

You guys are just taking too long to respond. Waiting to post this is just KILLING me. I'm almost throwing sparks myself.

[youtube]uH6_Al-_-ps[/youtube]

[youtube]pY745NxZwsY[/youtube]

[youtube]V3DpCMUTPZg[/youtube]

[youtube]oWsBpSSP3Os[/youtube]

Two longtails, with a couch suspended between them? Or maybe a two power wheelchairs to run it?

The dust is one reason I could never get my wife to consider going. Going alone, hmm, maybe a good idea only if I wasn't coming back home.

But the real reason we never went was our favorite party is closer in Albuquerque, also lasts a full week, and burns more propane in one morning that burning man does all week. 800 balloons launching at one time is like 12,000,000,000 btu's at one time going off.

Now that's real playing with fire. God only knows how much tequila consumed at one moment an hour later.

BURP

... so, two years later and BM 2015 coming up. Gonna talk up Toronto folks about going "Hippy-style" and cost sharing via rental of Big Yellow Schoolbus, or double-decker. All shapes and sizes of "bus" available from local bus rental outfit. (Sadly, none yet Bettery-Electric.)

Came up recently in ES thread "Keepers of the Blue Flame" (re Bonneville):
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=68416

I want to put that on my bucket list, but the dust and long lines to get in are a major deterrent.

Wow, didn't think it costed that much. Might not be on my bucket list after all. It sure seems more commercialized.

Hard to even get tickets to the man these days. But ticket holders sure do buy a lot of electric bike kits the month before the burn. We had a real run on the Trike kits last August. Shitloads of bikes at the man, and each year more of them are solar charged electric bikes.

LockH said:
Oooops. News re last year:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/burning-man-sellout-tickets-44-minutes-article-1.1707268

On March 1 reported "Burning Man is a sellout, tickets gone in 44 minutes". :cry:
BM has morphed into a bunch of smaller local BM styled events, including http://unifierfestival.com/. The Heartbeat Collective is a bunch of BM reject Bostonites that are doing a better job at changing the world with an artsy styled fun in the woods gathering of the minds. And yea, eBikes amidst the crowd is a good reason to go for those of us with a messiah complex. Multi-hued dream-coat and reefer-pack.

There are also various project threads. At least two of them are for this year's:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=%22burning+man%22&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=firstpost&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
(Not all of them may show up in the above search)

Back