GCinDC's Giant DH Comp

finally some trimming
20130518_182558.jpg

20130518_182750.jpg

added some lines for the good saw, but gonna wait till the morning in case there's still goo in there:
20130518_184054.jpg

5" between lines. i need 4.25 for the lipos as i laid 'em out, but won't do less than 4.5 for good measure...

craft tape and tin foil to cover the giant holes.. once i've got a shape.

carved it up a bit and coaxed it out of the frame:
20130518_211636.jpg

found that the underside hadn't cured:
20130518_211805.jpg

20130518_211809.jpg

20130518_211905.jpg

so i gave it the night to cure. i considered putting it back on the frame, but there was a tiny hole and figured that'd mean spew mess on the frame...

so this morning the bottom had mostly cured, leaving me with a top end precision form of the frame:
20130519_085229.jpg

good to get the first failure out of the way, and while it took time curing, it all required very little effort, considering my genius.. :p

back to carving the pink stuff in the table saw.

oh, and after viewing my lopsided shape, i realized i hate how it looks, nevermind how snug it might end up being. making a stopper out of the entire left side would be add weight where another method could work just as well.

i hope the pros find this entertaining... :lol:

Hyena said:
What a mess. I'd set it on fire again to tidy all that up :p

LOL!!!

Really enjoyed reading and watching your thread over the past few days i saw you often on the forum but did not have time to watch and now that i had problems with my hs3540 i had to look for ways to help and you are the most documented and interesting one ...i hope you are getting enough from the insurance to cover your losses (prob. not)

if i we re you in the end i would stick with a box and fabrics with velcro to cover the batteries ...maybe just brazing some plates of aluminium with durafix in a couple of strategic places on your frame and then cover them with fabric and velcro it looks easy enough i don t know never tried it but i may do that on my bike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiThO-UQIWE

slayer said:
if i we re you in the end i would stick with a box and fabrics with velcro to cover the batteries ...
funny, i missed this.. bit of a story tho:

i went back to the foam and added some strips got widen my pack to 4.5":
20130524_173129.jpg

20130524_173307.jpg

but i realized i'd just be cutting a box out of the middle, so why not just add the hollow box first and build foam around that? but i'd gotten rather attached to the notion of doing a tight little battery config, which left little room around the edges. so i found some thin aluminum that would stiffen up when built, a gutter:
20130526_161113.jpg

i wasn't really thinking anymore, just playing with ideas:
20130526_170746.jpg

i was thinking about glassing one side and wrapping the frame, sorta like this:
20130526_155921.jpg

then somehow i went in this direction, realizing the plugs should be inset:
20130527_085003.jpg

i want to be able to see the batts, in case they start to puff, so put some thin plexi walls on it, and tightened up the shape, such that i could bolt a handle on the top, and inset the plugs on the front:
20130527_164249.jpg

what's cool about this plan is easy access from the top to the loose stuff:
20130527_163732.jpg

not pretty, but it'd make a good template if i flattened it and recut on some nicer material.

then a game changer! i decided to get the adaptto mini-E when it was explained to me that it'd run nearly as fast at 18s as the infineon at 24s, making it possible for me to go to from 24s2p to 18s3p!

i imagine it'll look something like this, from FullThrottle's pic of his ealry model:
file.php

and what could be better battery protection then more capacity! :idea: (at least if i don't use it all up.. )

so then it's time to redesign the enclosure for 9 packs.... oh, and cause it's a dh comp, that's not too much of a problem... :p
20130528_204021.jpg

so here we go again:
20130528_211842.jpg

20130528_214246.jpg

20130528_220742.jpg

20130528_221928.jpg

20130528_221939.jpg

20130528_221952.jpg

but i'd run out of material and had some problems that would make a bad ridge on the inside bottom of the enclosure:
20130528_223350.jpg

and the tin foil wasn't masking it, so i cut out the foil:
20130528_223721.jpg

and used some joint compound to smooth her out:
20130528_223835.jpg

should just need a bit of sanding after it dries out, if not another coat:
20130528_224357.jpg

so then can i use vaseline as a release agent? PAM? lol. maybe just more foil?

then thinking through connection locations, latches, mounts, etc..

fun, fun, but it's some progress..

dbaker said:
What are the details on the Mini e that give you the same speed 18s vs 24s?
sworn guarantee 50pp confidential contract from adaptto inc. lol. just kidding. i'll let the adaptto rep answer any technical questions before i get my paws on it. :p

i wonder if the warranty is void if it gets painted black? :lol:

or maybe it's time for the bike to get painted green.. :mrgreen:

i should probably shut up until i get a tracking number tho!

for those who have no idea what this thing is, here's an older and enticing post, from here:
Adaptto E-Drives Lab said:
Hello all the members of the E-S forum.
We are a team of enthusiasts based in Moscow, Russia. Over year ago we established a start-up – Adaptto E-drives Lab. Ltd. - to develop e-drive systems for LEVs.
Presently, we are finalizing our first products (some of you might have read about MaxController in AndreyM build thread http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27911&hilit=andreyM+E+drive), namely sets of all the necessary electronics to get your vehicle going, and would like to present them to you for your evaluation and valuable feedback as well as advertise them, of course.
Once all the in-house testing is over (in around three weeks) we’ll distribute a number of pre-production prototype sets among the reputable power maniacs of the E-S for beta-testing and independent reviews.
The sets were developed with the goal of creating a complete, integrated, adjustable and reliable solution in mind.
The sets will be composed of:
1. Mini-E or Max-E controller:
Specs.jpg

2. 2,8” monochrome graphic LCD as standard or a 2,8” full colour transflective display as an option (will be available in July 2012);
display2.jpg

*these are the early versions of the case and color display interface – the case will mostly remain the same, but the interface will graphics are revised.
3. Proprietary half-twist throttle with 6 buttons as an option (will be available in July 2012);
4. Fully adjustable BMS (option);
5. DC-DC converter (option)
Controllers major features:
 Sine wave motor power control & intelligent adapting logics higher efficiency , less heat, silent motor operation, all sorts of protection
 Very compact for the power they are pumping through
 Display to show you everything from ride statistics and “dynamics” to voltage sag on each cell (should you opt for our BMS) and allow PC-free adjustability for you to play with the settings right on spot
 Built-in wattmeter
 Fully adjustable regen, analogue (not pre-set) regen power control given you use our throttle
 Traction control
 Cruise-control
 Possibility to set range - controller will limit the power to the necessary level
 Automatic phase/halls wires combo selection = no pain with finding the right combination just make sure the +&- of the halls are connected right the rest will be done by you but electronically through the menu on the display
 Protection motor/controller overheating – there’s a thermosensor the in controller and a thermosensor port to monitor motor’s temperature and manage the power accordingly (first the display will show you an alarm warning that you are reaching a certain temperature and once it gets to high the power will be automatically limited until the motor/controller cools down)
 Square wave, and sensorless (besides sine wave (vectored) motor control modes (if halls fail -which shouldn’t happen due to overheating protection - the controller will automatically switch to sensorless mode, so you might not even notice the halls are dead until you start on a hill)
 Automatic hibernation of the system in the time you set
 Motor and battery health monitor
 Integration with BMS – you can monitor your battery or each cell, set LVC/HVC to manage your battery’s ‘life expectancy’
 Advanced controller settings:
- adjustable PWM frequency (10-30 KHz) for even better efficiency tune
- halls angle correction
- timing tune
- etc
 3 fully adjustable power modes allowing you to switch between them by a push of a button and change your power settings, including regen and speed limits
 Auxiliary devices connection bus to enable BMS or DC-DC converter control through the display
 The throttle will control the power, not the speed of the motor
 The whole set will be completely waterproof - for example, the groove where the edges of the display case parts will meet will have a layer of rubber molded in
case.jpg

Prototype's pic, not the best colour combo though, will post more pics of different color combos when all the prototypes arrive next week
BMS major features:
 For batteries upto 100V & 32 cells in series
 BMS will consist of the main board and auxiliary balancing boards for up to 4S6P each with standard JSTXH connectors, so no more pain with rewiring the Li-Po packs
 Adjustable overcharge/overdischarge cell cut-off voltages for use on any battery type and
 BUS interface between the BMS and controller
 LVC compatibility with most of the existing controllers
 May also be used without the controller set, but with factory presets at your request
Throttle major features:
 Will enable “analogue” regen power management by either turning the throttle away from you or by simply pulling the rear brakes lever
 Will have a kick-down to activate max power mode (even when you are in eco mode) without pushing any buttons only by turning the throttle harder
 Will have 6 ‘appointable’ buttons
DC-DC converter major features:
 input voltage 20-100V
 output voltage 10-90V
 output current 10-25 Amps depending on the input V
 voltage and current limits are adjustable through display

These products are mainly addressed to DIYers, so comments/suggestions are welcome.

and here's the beginning of scenes of the Max-E in action: Avanti D8 + Cromotor + Adaptto MAX-E controller

Ack Greg, that brown metal box looks like punctured cells waiting to happen!
I guess it's too late now as you already have the lipo but the new zippy compacts are worth a look too. As the name suggests they're a really nice form factor. They make 9S ones which is kind of an odd number but makes for an easy 18S pack and they're not a much bigger than the standard 6S ones

dbaker said:
Yeah that sounds a little bit sus to me too, that's a 30% increase in speed which sounds a little too much like a free lunch.
Though I guess there's the 120% speed mode in the infineons, but the real world top speed difference isnt that much.

These controllers, interface etc DO look cool though and I hope to get my hands on one too

edit: wow that video is cool! I can't imagine many practical uses other than getting back on your bike in style after being clipped by a car, but cool just the same :lol:

Hyena said:
dbaker said:
Yeah that sounds a little bit sus to me too, that's a 30% increase in speed which sounds a little too much like a free lunch.
i read somewhere :p that someone's using it "at 18s lipo and max speed is around 85-90 kph with cro-motor in 24inch wheel."

last i checked, 85 to 90kph = 52 to 55 mph

but you know me. i'm not too hung up on speed. most of my streets in 30mph zones anyway. you speed demons out there should have a look at the maxE. :twisted:

Hyena said:
These controllers, interface etc DO look cool though and I hope to get my hands on one too
finally, it seems i get something before you? you should see my grin... :p

pics i'm allowed to share:

i'm psyched to see the mounting brackets and screws! (tho i'm not sure they'll fit the dh comp. still, i'll find a way) looks like bracket are screwed into the threaded holes on ends:
IMG_4603.JPG

i like the connectors too:
IMG_4602.JPG

GCinDC said:
finally, it seems i get something before you?
You know I contemplated burning my garage down earlier in the year but I'm just not that competitive :mrgreen:

I am sitting on some new goodies but I'll let you have your moment in the sun :p
Nah I look forward to you posts about it. Did you get the colour screen one ?
Why green though guys ?? Surely all black would suit the majority of builds. Or is the green colour some sort of environmental statement ?

doc007 said:
are you allowed to share how much u paid?

why the secrecy regarding pics?
it costss $450 for mini-e and $750 for max-e.

no secrecy, i just hadn't asked permission to share. they're andrey's pics. i'm getting a display model. i was trying to be discreet cause i'm not sure where they are in production but y'all might have to wait a bit more. :mrgreen:

it might be a bit early for the marketing splash... :lol:

Well they sure sold it to the right person to do the quality assurance. Looks like it has a lot of potential. Cant wait to see it all set up and running.

I guess you wont need a balancer anymore. Just a nice psu. Maybe modified server psu's if you dont already have something.

doc007 said:
Well they sure sold it to the right person to do the quality assurance.
nah, i'm rarely on bleeding edge. i usually tend to wait a year or two before taking the leap on something...

in this case it's had tons of QA, just mostly by russians as far as i can tell. check out those threads

andrey may be selling it to the right guy for marketing tho! i could possibly make a vid or two... :mrgreen:

Nice! I am looking forward buy Max-E from Russian guy so I can run 12kw on my cromotor for burst limit few seconds. I cant wait see your Mini-E controller treat you and I remember Russian guy said that you can just using the bulk charger, Mini-E controller take care of LiPo balance and had awesome features on it.

Cant wait see your video again.

I have the Max-E and i plan on installing it on my E-trike very soon. :p

This is probably the most sophisticated Controller-BMS kit i have ever seen for an ebike!

I will take time to review it as well :wink:

Doc

Doctorbass said:
I have the Max-E and i plan on installing it on my E-trike very soon. :p

This is probably the most sophisticated Controller-BMS kit i have ever seen for an ebike!

I will take time to review it as well :wink:

Doc

There are other controller BMS kits? It's the first one I ever heard/seen of.

Looks good man. I thought you would be getting the founding power BMS for some strange and odd reason. What's the wait time for the mini-E: is that all you need now?

Back