Farfle's electromotard. Mk. 4

Farfle said:
We had a pretty competitive rider take it for a spin, he was a little doubtfull riding onto the track but after the first lap he was on the hunt catching up and passing a few of the other bikes. 9 laps later when we were finally able to flag him off the track (he went in with a half full battery), he was grinning from ear to ear, the first words out of his mouth, were how much he could get one for, and that that was the most fun he has had on a bike in a long time. (I think we have a convert :mrgreen: :twisted: )

Quote of the year so far! All we have to do is let them experience it. Well, we have to build a great ebike for them to ride like you did.

Did a quick google...a lot of motorcycle guys are starting to call these a "sprotor" (sprocket/rotor)

3de74571dfc019ea622a0234d1dbc5fc.jpg

Thanks all.
Today I got the new dashboard roughed out. It will get a coat of black plastidip when its done.

It lets us:

Watch the Rotor and Stator temperature independently.
Monitor the condition of the liquid cooling system (pump on/off/empty)
It houses the telemetry transmitter and the data logger.

My friend Bartimaeus here on the forum has an Arduino that controls the liquid cooling pump based on the temp of the spinning rotor via a non-contact IR sensor, and the stator via a thermistor. and then mixes it into the serial stream from the CA and sends it via Xbee pro to a laptop where it can be monitored. Its a really slick setup, and lets the rider just worry about riding, and the builders on the sideline worry about the condition of the bike.

20130430_185741_zpsf617045c.jpg

I just swapped the 1989 yz125 fork for a 2006 yz250 fork, and Its amazing what almost two decades of changes does to a fork, and what still remains the same. For example, the brake bracket was a direct swap, the steertube was a direct swap, and the bottom bearing was the exact same.

The new fork is loads stiffer, and much more adjustable as well.

20130513_203207_zps0c7344c5.jpg

20130513_213739_zpsaaf9ada5.jpg

20130513_214554_zps498b5f44.jpg

Ok, ill see what I can do to hack something together. I have all of the raw onboard video rounded together, but I need to go get the pictures and trackside footage from my brother.

I haven't been posting here because I don't have any suggestions or warnings. Just wanted to say that this is awesome, and if I was going to make an E-moto...I would simply copy this.

I glommed together a quick video of the highlights on the race, I may make a longer one later with some more onboard footage, but this should be a good teaser of whats to come for Refuel/M1GP :twisted:

Here ya go!

[youtube]YJVybYw_DoE[/youtube]

jansevr said:
nice video. i noticed your description of the video says something about double the horsepower in the mail?! are you getting a new motor?

New controller. Going from a 180a cont controller to a 350a cont controller

Farfle said:
I thought the "spokes" of a disc brake rotor were supposed to be angled forward? I'm no expert but with all that power, hate for there to be a high speed/high power front brake failure!

MattyCiii said:
Farfle said:
I thought the "spokes" of a disc brake rotor were supposed to be angled forward? I'm no expert but with all that power, hate for there to be a high speed/high power front brake failure!

A disk brake rotors spokes are ABSOLUTELY NOT supposed to point forwards, and the reason is this:

In what direction is a spoke its strongest, tension or compression?

If you answered compression, you have some reading to do. Bike rotors get away with compression loaded spokes because they never experience braking loads severe enough to have to use their structure, and they do it because it looks cool, and therefore sells better.

With the gatorbrake 6 piston calipers on the dual pie. We had two identical rotors, and I had intended to have a spare. While doing some abuse testing in the conventional diection, the front rotor violently shredded apart and tore itself off of the hub. Looking at it, all of the spokes had folded up. When we put the rotor on backwards, it still warped and was thrown away, but there was no violent failure. (The rotors were a magura gustav 210mm, not cheap by any stretch)

Farfle said:
A disk brake rotors spokes are ABSOLUTELY NOT supposed to point forwards, and the reason is this:

In what direction is a spoke its strongest, tension or compression?

Got it - I used to question why bikes did it that way. SO much so that I would double and triple check the "mount this way" label/arrow on brakes several times, before mounting them.

I had my doubts about the direction of the rotors on bikes as well. So I went out and checked some picks of motorcycle rotors and how they were mounted. This caused even more confusion but I followed the instructions just the same. Still it just did not seen right. Good to know it was not just me. Really impressive werq on the cycle and nice to have all of the information shared for those of us that may undertake something similar someday. Thanks for all of the pics and posts it is appreciated.

Today I finally weeded out that annoying leaker cell, and traded over the 10Awg Turnigy spaghetti of loose tangled bullet connectors to some 1x50mm nickle plate sheet and ring terminals.

While I had the pack out, I also re-mounted the contactor on the battery tray. So now I can unhook it at the controller, and then just drop the battery, bms and contactor down all at once. Makes it much easier to get at the pack.

20130519_152925_zps77345050.jpg

20130519_152427_zps68dbdc7c.jpg

Back