Excelsior/Strong GTS Cromotor Build

hjns said:
It is, but only if you keep amps low. If you start pulling more than 40A at 20S, you are pushing the limits of a 12FET 4110 controller. If you regularly pull higher amps, consider an 18FET or 24FET controller.

True, Rated amps is set for 40A & Phase at 80A, 45mph isn't too bad! Paul (cellmans) 24fet with Jpegy to possibly be fixed, Lyen 24fet shipped back to him to be fixed, Zombiess 4115 on its way to me. Will see what happens.

Tnx

I recently picked up a 24fet 4115 infineon controller from Zombiesss I ran it for the first time today at 24S 100V. What a difference between the 4110 & 4115 with heat. She run much cooler as so does the cromotor. I was able to hit a new top speed of 50mph. With Zombiess's help, I was able to add cruise control to my current throttle setup.

So thumbs up to Zombiess's 4115. I will keep Lyen's 24fet 4110 for 20S riding.
Pete

Not a speed run
[youtube]7NMOKY54GHY[/youtube]
wjfk0x.jpg

2wn94hv.jpg

Its been a while, but the bike has been holding up at 24s & a Cromotor until I noticed this the other day :shock:
242enm9.jpg

27xfok1.jpg

So after a a few PM's to Doc, we came up with this
kb9cva.jpg

So took the bike over to a local body shop and picked her up 2 days later, here is the result :D
2j0z21i.jpg

33uv4sj.jpg

Around spring time I will be stripping down this bike and having it painted.

Well, its been over a year now with this bike. With the troubles I had at the beginning with blown controllers, the only other problems I had was with part of the frame being cracked & flats! The frame has been repaired & other support bars have been added. The 18 Turnigy 5.0 lipos have been great, not much drifting in the cells. Zombiess's modified 2115 controller has been champ.

Recently I took her apart & she got a paint job. I was going to have a powercoat done, but opted out on that because Docs's torque arms were epoxied in with DP420 and it was possible they would have came off in the oven at such a high temp. I did not want to realign & put them back on. They have held up to this day. So, automotive primer, paint & clear was what I used.

sxzqfs.jpg

2e51owj.jpg

2zpmh08.jpg

2rq0v3d.jpg

2zsmgza.jpg

Too many rear flats, its time to go MC rim & wheel. With the help from Rix, 17" rim is on its way.

I love the millitary pack on your bike ahah!!

I'll go back to paris next month, any chance I can try the bike?

You should get proper 18650 cells rather than HK Lipo :p

I'll be here in mid may. Are you also interested in a group buy for 18650 cells? they are way simpler to make than lipo, they hold vibration better too. The only issue compared to lipo is that they have much higher sag

I'll pass on the cells. I use to have a 52V pack made up of those cells a few years ago on my first bike. I paid a lot for that pack & it took a shit on me within 1/2 year. For this latest build I needed 100V & high discharge rate. I can't complain about the hard case lipos, they have done what I asked them to do. I'll be gone for 10 days starting May 20th. Pete

1zco415.jpg

23sf5g4.jpg

The 17" mx rim is here, more than enough clearance for a larger tire on this frame, 2.75 topps Currently 2.25 Sava road tire. 26" wheel still on front, now will order another 17" rim for the front. A very BIG THANKS to Rix, for helping with this switch over. I probably would have delayed or not done it at all. Hopefully NO more FLATS!!!

Rear Wheel Spokes
12G(2.6mm).straight gauge.stainless , 106mm Length 16mm nipple length

Front Wheel Spokes
204mm 13/14G, 14ga 16mm silver nipples

2zsmgz9.jpg

mv26v9.jpg

10s7o6v.jpg

33jo9yg.jpg

rjkrrp.jpg

71jwbc.jpg

28vaq7n.jpg

v5vmrp.jpg

hwgy2g.jpg

Have to lower the rear mud guard & maybe make it shorter

Well, the front rim has been down sized from a 26" to a 17". Feels more stable, responsiveness is a little slower, geometry feels fine. But I have a question, I have noticed an increase in temperature on the motor. Before with a 26" upfront & 17" in the rear, she ran cool, but now after riding today for the first time with the 17" front & rear, she has ran hotter; is the 17" front the reason?

Oh by the way the spokes I ordered for the front ended up being 4mm too long, that's my fault, so had some grinding to do.

Also, with the dropping both the front & rear, I got pedal strike!!!!, So it's either cut and re-tap or buy a smaller crank arms. Will see. Never finished!!!! Here some today pics.

14loaig.jpg

2exve4x.jpg

veodo2.jpg

m8lm9x.jpg

2rd96x3.jpg

Fixed the pedal strike, changed out the 170mm crank to a 140mm, came from one my young daughter's bike. It only has 2 chaingrings 28t & 38t, good enough if I run out of juice to pedal home with.

Pete

Came a cross a small crack right at the seat tube clamp going almost all the way around the tube. I did see where you could get some thinner gauge metal and overlap it over the area & weld it. But instead of that I just had a garage patch it up. I also plan on just applying some DP420 all around the area for some added strength and one more thing, I added a 2nd seat tube clamp just above the first one, but on the seat stem, not the tube, to handle my weight (see pic below). Idea came from here http://www.tokyocycle.com/bbs/threads/convert-an-old-mtb-to-a-single-speed.3024/page-3
orqebl.jpg

2cwzv6.jpg

5wdytx.jpg

2v1u8b8.jpg

All fixed for now...
296dfh2.jpg

1zdsl1t.jpg

Brentis said:
pucksterpete said:
I wish I knew of a simulator that was for the Cromotor, haven't found it yet.

The Cromotor has been modeled on the ebikes.ca simulator. It is listed as noname 5004
file.php

I too wish there was a simulator for the cromotor. Seems that the "noname 5004" is gone from the simulator.
Anyone know if there is a simulator for the cromotor? Or have ebikes.ca maybe changed name on the cromotor to something different?

Hey Macribs.

Don't quote me on this, but if iirc (couldn't find the thread) there is a blank entry at the very top of the list of motors.
That blank spot is what the no name used to be. Running some battery and amp combos at it, makes me believe that is the cromotor. Not sure which version of the cro it is, nor if it is.
Maybe you can shoot ebikes.ca an email and ask them to clarify.

Hey Pete,

Sorry I missed out on all the drama with the cracking frame. Your triangulation mod looks like a good upgrade for my frame as well. No cracking, but what you did looks fairly simple and effective. I'd like to powder coat my frame, so will get that done. Bugger the cheese steel these frames are made from. Hope I got a better batch.

The paint job and upgrade wheels look great, congrats.

Keep us updated on impressions.
Enjoy.
:mrgreen:

Brentis said:
Hey Pete,

Sorry I missed out on all the drama with the cracking frame. Your triangulation mod looks like a good upgrade for my frame as well. No cracking, but what you did looks fairly simple and effective. I'd like to powder coat my frame, so will get that done. Bugger the cheese steel these frames are made from. Hope I got a better batch.

The paint job and upgrade wheels look great, congrats.

Keep us updated on impressions.
Enjoy.
:mrgreen:

Whats up Brentis, how have you been? Yeah it was kind of a bummer to see the cracks in the frame & seat tube, the triangulation mod was docs idea and it came out good, haven't had any other issues with the frame, but always keeping an eye out. thanks to Rix & the greg's post http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55458on the 19" rim switch over. I have 17's on both and the handling is much better and no more stupid flats. Have you been working on your bike? Pete

Hey Pete,

I'm doing alright. I had some life happen over the last year and am slowly picking up and putting together the pieces.
No biking this entire year :cry: but I have or am gathering the pieces for a new build over the winter.
Stay tuned.

Hope your well
Talk to ya soon.

Well....another weak spot, after riding on some dirt trails, no jumps and then hitting the street, going around a corner not too fast, boom, bike drops down, I didn't wipe, I thought I had a flat, nope this

214ujj5.jpg

5jtet2.jpg

16mald.jpg

so, decided to cut out the mount for the shock off the broken tube and dp420 it further back and then have it welded

11bn5ab.jpg

karccw.jpg

I guess it came out okay, we will see, she does ride a little stiffer in the back, now lets see what else fails

Pete

Awesome builds!

I've got this to start with:

1424464_10152755754736983_2798470886362686169_n.jpg

I ran into forum member Brentis and now I have this to bring alive!
I'm thinking of 17" or 18" or 19" wheels.
I need to pick a Rim size that will fit the Shinko SR714 or Pirelli ML75.
How do you like the 17's?

Tommy L sends.... \m/ . . \m/

Hey Tommy, so you got Brentis's Strong, very nice, you will have fun with that build. If you can add some extra support in the frame and keep an eye out on the welds, as you can see I had a few frame failures. The 17's are working out great, a little bit heavy, but the cromotor is doing its job. Switching over to a moped tire has been really nice, no more flats, tire wear is a lot slower, softer ride. The only bitch is if you have to pedal this bike home its a bear. Here is a link to another member on here LSBW, he did a great job on his Strong build

http://extronebike.ca/

Good luck, post up some pics & video of your build

Pete

Thanks Pete! :)

Tommy L sends..... \m/ . . \m/

Since April 2013 on 24s 3P I have put 11,514km on this pack, 329 cycles, 4.18v charged 3.6v discharged per cell. The Turnigy 5000mAh 4S1P 14.8v 20C hardcase packs have done fine.

Back