420A 24S ESC by aliens

Dauntless said:
liveforphysics said:
Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:56 pm

Stayed a couple hours after work today to get a start on the DC supply to the controller.

Strange that ? It looks as if LFP got everything ready to do the tests, then just walked away from it all. ?? :shock:
There must be something VERY interesting happening in the Mancave to prevent him turning that controller into smoke ! ? :roll:

i can test it, as im partially responsible for talking up this whole test thing from page 2,

we dont have quite the amount of gear that luke does, but can easily gather together splinteroz's 12kw collosus motored road bike, other ca120 (super low inductance) bikes that we run from 200-480 phase amps on, and in the hub department; delta wound fan cooled pies, zappys cromotored machine, and go do some dyno runs like this 14kw one http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=16728&hilit=12kw+rc+motor&start=1725#p724695
and maby even brians Joby. :!:
-we all live nearby to this dynojet motorbike dyno.

we can measure phase amps with allagro hall jobbie's on a 2ch usb scope, or an inductance free shunt, or the clamp meter has been good.

brunos ca120 motors are similar to the stuff we use in this machine http://s396.photobucket.com/user/thedevilshands/media/AMBA0043good.mp4.html
and a logged test like this would be quite good for testing standing start/sync abilities..?

@neptronix - Why don't you run ESC on your new mid-drive and test it. :twisted:

I would, except a normal infineon would do the job just fine. My 3kw transmagnetics motor is surely not difficult to drive.
If the TM 3kW motor starts choking at the 6,000rpm i plan to drive it at, i will reconsider.

What we really need high power / high RPM ESCs for is the super compact RC motors that are difficult to drive. That is the real challenge.

Hello Everybody, I am a newb to this forum however I am most certainly not a newb to using RC grade equipment on custom or completely home made rides. I have been doing this for about 4 years now, my first project was a small pocket bike powered by a 63-74 outrunner with a way over sized Monster 2000 - 200A controller. Now I have a self re-wound 80-100 outrunner, the turnigy 120-70 outrunner, a fatboy 300 V2 ESC and a 420A 24S ESC by aliens as everyone seems to be so curious about. Now I was skeptical of this 420A 100V controller at first as I'm sure many of you are. I started with the 80-100 in a pocket dirtbike but recently over the winter made a very large stand up scooter. I have a 12s x 20Ah lipo pack inside and my 80-100 running a 12 inch wheel on a 1:6 ratio. when I started test rides I was using the Fatboy 300 V2 and I was loving it. top speed is around 65 km/h and it boots up there in about 3-3.5 seconds. The only thing I didn't like about the fatboy was that it would loose synk with my motor and stall if I hit the throttle too hard which which is only about all the freaking time. I had to be careful with how i accelerated, then I found alien power systems and i am a true believer. I programmed the alien ESC, threw it in my scooter and gave 'er a try and sdhflasjdhfiluSDFIUhswdfiuhasdfiul it was sooooooo much better!!!!!!! This thing has a bit more initial kick starting up the motor but it keeps sync amazingly, accelerates way faster, its easier to program, more programming parameters, handles more power in a smaller package and makes more efficient use of the power! first time i got onto a gravel pathway i gunned it and this thing did a huge burnout! I didnt think my motor was capable of this but turns out it was my crap fatboy. now my 0-65 times are in the 2-2.5 range, its got way faster acceleration then most average cars and believe me, ive been racing all my friends :p My scooter peaks around 8KW but i have easily done 2-3 minute long full throttle runs averaging 3-4KW continuous and the ESC was nice and warm but not as hot as ive felt other ESC's thats for sure. This ESC blew away every expectation i had for it and then laughed in my face, and as if that wasn't enough, the sellers communication was better then any seller anywhere ive had to deal with on the internet, he is the best of the best! i know he is a very busy guy but i almost always got a reply answering the 10 questions i would ask in my one email within 1-6 hours. the shipping was super fast and i am still in contact with this guy showing him all the stuff im making. I made a custom brushless 125 pit bike from the 120-70 outrunner i have and it is crazy! outperforms the origional 125cc 4 speed it had in it not to mention being 15 lb lighter! the only problem with it is that is has taken the lives of 2 fatboy 300 speed controllers, one original and one V2. thats when i had enough and bought the alien but after using it in my scooter i want to leave it there and get another one! im going to use my current fatboy in my pitbike and let it kill that too so i have an excuse to get another alien! I have posted a link to a youtube vid my friend put together of us riding around. im on my old pocket bike and he is on his custom brushless mountain board. it is not the best video however you can see what we do. it was filmed from an iphone which is hard to hold while riding, we have new videos from a go-pro helmet cam and are in the process of uploading a new video maybe by mid summer. i will post pictures of our stuff sometime if people would like to see!

I guess what im really trying to say with all of this is BUY AN ALIEN ESC!!!! im sure you will love it as much as i do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ97uzfwP3U

thanks fo the informative post. I would like to see a heap of pics, in particular your scooter. Perhaps making a build thread for your projects on this forum? that way we can ask away with questions and not clog up this thread? Either way I want to see more of your work.

I agree, would love to see some photos of those impressive looking machines. Also very keen to see video of your pit bike burning rubber with the alien ESC!

I am very busy as i am going to college and working part time however I will be updating my website and youtube page over the summer with more videos. I have lots on my computer but never seem to take the time to make a video from them and upload it! however there are pictures of the stuff we make in my friends basement with pretty much a hack saw, drill, grinder and a welder! however considering that we have had great success with them and go for rides regularly! the website is www.kongkreet.ca, if you go under creations you can see a slide show with a good portion of our work on there, we just launched it yesterday so check in over the next couple months and im sure there will be lots more pictures and some actually good videos!

Dauntless said:
You're aware that the great question of this thread is 'Whatever happened to the DYNO results?'

Oh now I understand

I though the load test was with a saline bath?

Sam-Q said:
I though the load test was with a saline bath?

AH, we'd settle for a mudbath test if you'd get us one. All this giddy anticipation like little kids, then you know how little kids are when disappointed.

mud_bath_03.jpg

Actually, noooooooa, I don't doooooona think that's the test people are looking for. It's supposed to be basically a stress test, under load.

Maybe something like this.

[youtube]1Lz-whY0vWo[/youtube]

[youtube]c1O2X890tig[/youtube]

It is under load. There is dyno motor which applies a load, the heat is burnt off.

Only boiling water, no smoke, no good,

ub3r said:
It is under load. There is dyno motor which applies a load, the heat is burnt off.

yep, same type of thing really, one option is to do a normal ramped acceleration run on the moto dyno (as per the ones in my last post)

and another more torturous but controlled option is my lathe as a dyno, i can set its own motor/gearing to run at say 55rpm, you then apply throttle measuring phase
amps and torque output from the load cell etc and the motor/lathe rpm stays right where you first set it with the test motor now attempting to overdrive the lathe.
theres no audible change in note from this effort so you have to keep an eye on power levels cos last time i ran 7ish kw of power in and oddly the lights went really bright and i shut it down, turns out there was about 5 or 6kw going into the grid and the 240v ac had risen to over 270v and nearly blew the house fuse the wrong way :!:
-handy though cos many kw of heat can be a real pain to get rid of during an extended test, and it was dissipated by my good neighbors..

anyway if people want it tested ill do it, working our way up to whatever max amps you like, i dont really plan to just blow it up, so all going well someone can still use it. -i might see what luke reckons?

That's a 8) regen option .
If your meter was a moving disk type you could watch it spinning backwards with the power coming off your bill :lol: thats 8) very efficient.
A lot of digital meters i have dealt will either will not read reverse current, detract from the reading or add to it so i'd be carefull there.
When the power hits the street it would be levelled by the grid, but geez i would'nt want to be subjecting my house electronic devices to the overvoltage, would wanna be carefull there too,
Turning another motor, rectifying output and feeding it into a lipo pack for charging might work, 3ph rectifying nearly dc, though you'd need a motor to drive with the suitable spec's, hmm could be too hard.

Hi. Please email me on ES or on my personal mail. Don't use the Alien website. It is not operative yet and I can't receive any mail from there. Sorry about that. Regards

Get to it Luke

-methods

I've still got mine.... and still not tested it :-(

10ah lifepo4 battery pack I have right now doesn't have the C rate to test it... I was getting major sag at 6kw
(from 86v hot off the charger to 54v and the bms cutting power)

working on another pack, laptop cells + rclipo hybrid pack.... still working on it tho, real life got in the way :-o

Back