How many of us wear glasses while riding?

How often do I wear eye protection while riding?

• Never.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Do contact lenses count?

• Less than 50% of the time

• About 50% of the time

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Pretty much all the time but I might skip it every now and then.

Votes: 43 27.6%
  • Are you kidding me? Getting blinded that one time was enough. I wear them every time I ride - no exc

Votes: 88 56.4%

• Total voters
My eyes start watering beyond 25kmh, besides a mosquito can make you have an accident. Wear glasses googles or something is a must.

Full face helmet, I used to ride with an open face and glasses, but bugs and rocks hitting the face and the glasses is enough to scare the hell outa ya.

I'm literally blind in one eye, so I try and be careful.
A pair of lightly tinted sun glass, though I should get prescription ones soon (slightly near sighted, but it's slowly getting worse).

When I was a young man I used to go riding without any eye protection. On sunny days this meant I would squint the entire time and often get a headache from that. After every ride I would also have to wipe small black bugs out of my eyes. When I started riding again 10 years ago I purchased some Bolle Vigilante frames with interchangeable lenses and Rx inserts. They are the best accessory I've every bought, I love'em and would not ride without them.

-R

Sunglasses a necessity and I don't ride at night. Eye protection both from bugs and rocks, but as others have pointed out prevents headaches from the glare. I don't travel at speeds requiring full face helmet protection.

I wear snow goggles because they fit perfectly into my helmet. They don't fog up as much as the visor and they are easier to see through in the rain. I used to ride with no eye protection but in the rain that gets old fast.

I have traded up thru helmets over the years, had a bike helmet for awhile till I found out that they are ineffective at the speeds we travel, moved up to a Craigslist cheapy full face without a visor, wore that with tinted safety glasses until I intercepted a wasp that wedged itself inbetween my helmet and my ear that stung me 6 times before I could pull into the turn lane and do the Bug-in-helmet dance in front of a dozen people. Kept that helmet till I wrecked the race bike badly enough to completely crack the shell. Then my awesome grandma got me one of these, never looked back after that, +1 to anything from AVG.

_facebook_-1726606138.jpg

I wear an open face downhill helmet with regular eye glasses..altho it sux cause above 30mph i start crying :(

vncmorgan said:
Do you mean to use sunglasses rather than safety gear like helmet. No I won't this is not safe, and extremely violation of the law. I always use helmet.

Don't know where you are from but in the USA there are no laws requiring adult cyclists to wear a helmet.

http://www.iihs.org/laws/HelmetUseCurrent.aspx

-R

Russell said:
vncmorgan said:
Do you mean to use sunglasses rather than safety gear like helmet. No I won't this is not safe, and extremely violation of the law. I always use helmet.

Don't know where you are from but in the USA there are no laws requiring adult cyclists to wear a helmet.

http://www.iihs.org/laws/HelmetUseCurrent.aspx

-R

The quoted post is just a spammer advertising sun glasses, not a proper ES member...........................

re: sunglasses, helmets, & extremely violation of the law :lol:

Well here's to Spammers who can sometimes be another humorous source for entertainment...

♪ I wear my 8) at night ♫ KF

fizzit said:
I wear snow goggles because they fit perfectly into my helmet. They don't fog up as much as the visor and they are easier to see through in the rain. I used to ride with no eye protection but in the rain that gets old fast.

I remember when I first got my MC license, back in '75, wearing yellow ski goggles over the opening of my 'modular' full-face helmet. No wonder I only had one GF in high school... :p

When I was in high school and early on in college, I wore contact lenses. But the more I rode my bicycle, the more I had to cope with red, irritated eyes. Eventually I switched back to wearing glasses, and that was before I got deeply into metalworking or motorcycling (which just confirmed the deal).

I haven't spent a single day without my glasses in over 20 years. I won't wear shields over them (I reckon the resulting loss of vision and situational awareness offsets any small increase in eye protection), but I depend on my glasses for protection as well as visual correction.

Farfle said:
I have traded up thru helmets over the years, had a bike helmet for awhile till I found out that they are ineffective at the speeds we travel, moved up to a Craigslist cheapy full face without a visor, wore that with tinted safety glasses until I intercepted a wasp that wedged itself inbetween my helmet and my ear that stung me 6 times before I could pull into the turn lane and do the Bug-in-helmet dance in front of a dozen people.

Same thing happened to me one time but I was lucky enough to get the bee out of the helmet before it stung me. I must have looked strange weaving down the road while pressing the side of my helmet with one hand to open an escape route for the bee. All this while going about 50mph (motorcycle). Grasshoppers really hurt when your'e going fast too.

fechter said:
Farfle said:
I have traded up thru helmets over the years, had a bike helmet for awhile till I found out that they are ineffective at the speeds we travel, moved up to a Craigslist cheapy full face without a visor, wore that with tinted safety glasses until I intercepted a wasp that wedged itself inbetween my helmet and my ear that stung me 6 times before I could pull into the turn lane and do the Bug-in-helmet dance in front of a dozen people.

Same thing happened to me one time but I was lucky enough to get the bee out of the helmet before it stung me. I must have looked strange weaving down the road while pressing the side of my helmet with one hand to open an escape route for the bee. All this while going about 50mph (motorcycle). Grasshoppers really hurt when your'e going fast too.

Damn June Bugs in the midwest ain't no picnic either. My brother nailed a small bird on his fairing and it cracked the gel coat. 'would not have been pretty on open face.

Somebody mentioned earlier - anything above 25kM/h the eyes water anyway so eye covering sorta becomes required on it's own merit.

I am very careful about what kind of eye protection I use now, had a minor scooter accident at 30km/h that pushed a pair of metal sunglasses into my face and cut it up pretty bad, requiring stitches. I try to only wear a full face helmet now, which blocks the sun great so I don't need to wear sunglasses.

I've evolved to a full face FOX helmet and a my Smith snowboarding goggles. The goggles are made for helmet and bare head use, so they just happened to be perfect for e-biking as they fit the helmet cutout exactly. Clear lenses for late night rides and tinted for all other times.

I personally can't even get out of bed without my glasses, so I always have them on..
I wear a DH style helmet (Giro Remedy), and my (prescription) sunglasses are rather big kinda "Blues Brothers style", so they cover the exposed part of my face pretty good, and I still get some ventilation on the sides.

I use a Reevu motorcycle helmet that has a rear view mirror on the inside.

I used to keep my visor up until I get out of my neighborhood. One day I was leaving my neighborhood 10 seconds into my ride going 35 mph and a huge dragonfly flew straight into my left eye. It ended up somewhere in my helmet and fell out when I took my helmet off. It hurt so bad I had to walk to the side of the street and wait a while before I could ride.

Now I don't go any faster than 10-15 mph with my visor up! If I just crack the visor the air that flows to my eyes gets sped up 2-3 times faster (than fully open) and hurts my eyes so I have to close it all the way.

dragon fly 1.jpg

dragon fly 2.jpg
Look at that stinger thing!

This thing was huge about the same length as my iPhone.

I wear safety glasses because I've been blinded by a cloud of tiny gnats which exude a substance that stings in the eyes for several minutes. They swarm along the river trail at dusk in the fall, and by the time you notice them it's too late. :x The tires also can kick up gritty road particles or glass. I tried goggles, but they tended to fog up from my sweaty face. :wink:
If you've ever had a june bug get tangled up in your hair you'll never forget it. Like the time I got a tennis ball with a lot of spin wound up in my long hair on HS (early 70's). :lol:

Always wear wrap around clear or sun glasses because my eyes water too much when the wind hits them. Was really glad I had them on last Saturday when a bee hit just under my left eye right at the edge of the glasses. He stuck for a moment before I brushed him off and I got a quick sting. Not bad, but a little swelling and even sore around the eye for a day. This was in the middle of a nice 40 mile charity ride with some friends.

Farfle said:
I have traded up thru helmets over the years, had a bike helmet for awhile till I found out that they are ineffective at the speeds we travel, moved up to a Craigslist cheapy full face without a visor, wore that with tinted safety glasses until I intercepted a wasp that wedged itself inbetween my helmet and my ear that stung me 6 times before I could pull into the turn lane and do the Bug-in-helmet dance in front of a dozen people. Kept that helmet till I wrecked the race bike badly enough to completely crack the shell. Then my awesome grandma got me one of these, never looked back after that, +1 to anything from AVG.

_facebook_-1726606138.jpg

Farfle - what model helmet is that ? I use an AGV now and like it very much , but it only has a visor no chin protection. I like the look of yours.

I wear glasses most of the time for sight and glad I have my eyeballs covered with something , but when I go over 20 I pull the visor down.
Recently going about 35 I had something smack into the visor which made a pretty loud thud and was glad for the protection. Not to mention
going down country roads when you have insects swarming the roads.

Back