Scott's Giant DH Team Build 66 mph!

Scott

100 W
I have a Large Giant DH Team and have a few questions about my build.
This is my bike.
p5pb9691903 lower res.jpg

Plan:
Motor: Hubzilla v2 laced into 26inch wheel - Arrived
Controller: Zombies new EB324 board 24FET 150v(135v safe max) 150 amp controller. - Arrived
Zombies throttle tamer - Arrived
Batteries: 8x zippy 6s 8000 mAh (24s 2p). That gives me 88.8 volts and 16 ah. - waiting for stock to come in- ended up getting Turnigy instead.
Charger: iCharger 206B 350W, Powered by a 24V DC 14.6A 350W Regulated Switching Power Supply.
Tires: Maxxis hookworms.
Kiwi’s drop outs - Arrived
For connecting everything up I would love to do something similar to what Tench did.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39489
P1000089.jpg

Questions:
• I had originally wanted to use Anderson powerpoles and found out that they melt under high power. Will the 75 amp powerpoles also melt under 100volt 100 amp
usage?
• What are the best connectors to use? Polymax 5.5 Gold Connectors? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=39465
• I was also planning on using 8 AWG wire but I just realized that the wire coming out of the hubzilla V2 is 12 AWG. Does that mean that I will need to rewire the motor's phase wires to keep the insulation from melting off?

The bike arrived today. It has a dent in the down tube and is missing 3 special avid brake washers because one of the bolts was just lose in the box and the washers probably fell out of the box. Also one of the disc brake mounting bolts was missing too, but I had a spare mounting bolt.
View attachment 2

I was told the rear drop out space was 150mm, although when I measured it the distance is not 150mm. it is either 137mm if measured to the drearier hanger or 145mm if measured to the drop out without the drearier hanger included. I am worried that the hubzilla will not fit.
DSCF0784mesure drop outs full ruller low res.jpg

What year is the frame? That will help determine if it is the 150mm dropouts.

To me it looks like an 05 model. I went through the same dramas, you need an 05/06 swingarm and an 03-04 frame for max triangle space. (i think thats right anyway)

To me it looks like a 2004 because it has the rear suspension adjustment in the triangle and the top tube is flat. Although the rear suspension adjustment has the 2005 type of style.

From what I understood is that the Comps had 135mm dropouts until the 2005 years. However the Teams had 150mm drop outs. This is the whole reason that I bought a Team instead of a Comp. The dropouts have about 3 mm of play were they easily can be stretched 3mm more.

Bas Ed on the ruler I'm going to say a Cromotor will not fit. It sounds like there are options for you if you really want a 150mm drop out, you just need to located them. Are those drop outs remove able? If not how do people fit hub motors in them as they are the 12mm through hole style or what ever it is called.

zombiess said:
Are those drop outs remove able? If not how do people fit hub motors in them as they are the 12mm through hole style or what ever it is called.

The drop outs are not removable but if you can find one, there are swing arms that have 150mm or 135mm dropouts, but I just happened to get a 135mm one(I was told it was 150mm).
Some people have cut their dropouts off and used Doc’s torque arms. I plan on using Kiwi’s no cut torque arm.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33767
Kiwi's dropout adaptors.JPG

135mm up until 2005 giant dh's. You'll know if you have the 150mm swingarm since it's symmetrical when looking vertically (plan view). In addition, the 2005 giant dh's have an angle in the triangle frame (as in, its not a typical triangle). Therefore, you have a dh comp older than 2005. I ordered a new '05 swingarm from giant and used the 03 dh comp frame, they're 100% compatible. The cromotor will not fit in the 135mm. It will fit in the 150mm, since I and many others have done it.

moonshine said:
I ordered a new '05 swingarm from giant
Did you order it directly from giant? If so did you order it in 2005 or just recently.

I did find a 2005 frame with a swingarm on pink bike, (where I bought my bike from) but the swingarm is a 2003 135mm :(

Looking at your tape measure you have 135mm dropouts there, the measurement is the inside diameter

My 04 DH Team Frame has 135mm dropouts. I have squeezed a Cyrstalite 5306 motor in there with Kiwi's dropout adaptors. I've fitted a small spacer on the drive side to keep it so the chain won't hit the chainstays in 6th and 7th gear but I had to pry the droputs apart a little to do it (hopefully not too much)

I'd like to get a Cromotor but first I'd need a 150mm rear swingarm. The later frames come up on ebay now and again, they can be identified by a bent top tube on the front triangle meaning you can't get batteries in the front triangle as easily.

The ideal would be the older frame with the newer swingarm but that would mean buying 2 frames.

The dish of the rear wheel isn't normal either on the 135mm dropouts I'm having to re-dish my wheel so that the rim fits centrally in the swingarm If you're having the rear wheel built for the 135mm dropouts make sure you ask them to build it with a 0% rear dish.

Good luck with your build, please post pictures as you go

Cheers........ Rick

I put the bike together on Saturday when it arrived.
Giant DH Team built.jpg

I was able to get the special avid brake washers I needed from Gregg's Cycles, they were very nice and gave me some they had laying around.
I took the bike on some trails on Monday. The bike is a pain to peddle cross country, but it has tons of travel and is awesome on jumps. :D
[youtube]ebmAGoC-98c[/youtube]

Today (Tuesday) I road off one of the retaining walls in my back yard. The first drop I thought I was going to go over the handle bars, but I did not. Then the second drop I pulled up on the handle bars but when I landed I could not stop. So…. I hit the back of the seat that was not lowered all the way down like it should have been. :roll:
[youtube]KR30aVMm77A[/youtube]

I fit my Cromotor in my 135mm swingarm... it's a PITA to change or do any maintenance. I usually am sweaty and have cursed up a storm by the time i'm done getting it re installed.

binlagin said:
I fit my Cromotor in my 135mm swingarm... it's a PITA to change or do any maintenance. I usually am sweaty and have cursed up a storm by the time i'm done getting it re installed.

I just read through your whole thread. It looks like a really tight fit.
How far did you have to stretch your frame? I thought the aluminum frame would be stressed too much and crack/break when stretched over 3mm?

My rear brake had almost no pressure when pulled all the way to the handle bars. I had ordered the Avid Pro Bleed kit and started to bleed my rear brake and what came out looked like the brakes have never been bled before. Hopefully I don't have to rebuild the brakes.
DSCF0856 low res.jpg

In the instructions it says to bleed brakes 2 times if the fluid is extremely discolored. I bled them 3 times and still got sold black and the 4th time it was 50/50 new and black fluid.

A 2005 frame and swingarm is on its way here right now. I just don't feel comfortable stretching my frame 10-15 mm and having a risk of it braking while going 60 mph. Plus this should give me clearance for my large 203mm disk brakes. Originally I was going to buy a hubzilla laced into a 26in wheel, but now since my swingarm is offset I might as well just buy a motor and lace it myself. Just need to wait to see out offset this swing arm is.

Today I went biking and this bike is just amazing off of jumps, but uphill is a different story…. until it has a motor!

Sorry for not replying earlier....but yes, I got it directly from giant and it's the blue 2005 swingarm. My cromo fits fine. However...let me know what disc brakes you end up using...since my disc mounts don't align up too well with the cro.

moonshine said:
I got it directly from giant and it's the blue 2005 swingarm. My cromo fits fine. However...let me know what disc brakes you end up using...since my disc mounts don't align up too well with the cro.
I wonder if they still make replacement parts or if they still have some lying around. How much did it cost to get one? I read through your build thread and I love that type of color of blue! my bike came Avid code brakes.

For those of you that just like pictures here is one of the 2005 larger swingarm.

DSCF0872 2005 giant dh swing arm low res.jpg

Probably still have em lying around. I picked one up brand new for 220. I just couldn't deal with the 135mm. Plus, it was older so I figured stretching it would do some serious damage...I'm interested to see how you mount the calipers, since I had such a shitty time doin mine. I'll post pics on my thread later tonight. I guessing
iPhone pics are too big for ES

moonshine said:
Probably still have em lying around. I picked one up brand new for 220. I just couldn't deal with the 135mm. Plus, it was older so I figured stretching it would do some serious damage...I'm interested to see how you mount the calipers

I paid the same thing for a used 2005 frame and swing arm, but I also paid an additional $60 for shipping. Although it came with new bearings and a quick release for the seat post and my 2004 bike does not have a quick release for the seat post.

I'll probbly use the ebike.ca disk brake spacers if my calipers dont fit.

Most likely GIANT. They're usually wicked good about parts for older models. You just have to contact a legit giant dealer. You also have to talk to someone that actually knows what they're doing too. If you don't...well, you'll go around playing phone tag and never get what you want.

Scott,

I have the ebikes disc spacer installed...and it doesn't really help. I posted pics of my shitty ass setup.

My order from Zombies arrived today.
1. Cromotor laced into 26in wheel
2. 24 FET controller - absolutely huge
3. Throttle tamer
DSCF0874 low res.jpg

I am not sure what all of the connectors for coming out of the controller. There is a loose red wire. Also there are 2 connectors with 3 wires that look like throttle ones. The one on the bottom matches up with the throttle tamer out connector. I would guess that the one on top would be for a variable ebrake but I'm not sure.
DSCF0885 low res.jpg

I can't do much until I get kiwi’s drop out adaptors which are being cut right now. Also I'm waiting on hobby king to have the zippy 6s 8000mAh batteries in stock, it has been over a month since they have been in stock.
Right now I am working on designing a battery box for the triangle.

I got a few packages in the mail; Weller WLC100 soldering station, helping hands for soldering, 2 micro USB cables for hall wire connectors. I also bought some hobby king wire 8, 10, 12, 24, AWG red and black.

DSCF0939 soldering iorn and wire.jpg
This soldering iron is much better than the other wall plug in soldering iron I have that was given to me along time ago.(it could barely melt the solder directly). I was easily able to solder the 24 AWG wire. Although when I came to soldering 8 AWG wire to the 5.5 bullet connector I had a bit of trouble. I was able to heat the bullet hot enough with the soldering iron to melt solder but the wire is huge compared to the bullet. Tomorrow I will try to solder it with my blow torch and I might buy some flux and see if that helps. I also need to get some heat shrink.

DSCF0938 5.5 bullet to 8 AWG low res.jpg
I think it could use some more solder. I did test the connection and from the bullet to the end of the 5 meter wire it had 1-2 Ohm’s of resistance. I tried as hard as I could to pull it apart and it would not budge. I’m impressed it turned out that well on my first try though!

Scott said:
I received the 2005 Giant DH Comp frame and swingarm today(Monday). The swing arm should fit the hubzilla with a normal centered wheel without needing any dishing.

Waauww nice swigarm!

But it's one size fits all?
Or do I have to order specific size?

Back