my home built runaround

I liked it enough to save the pic to my hard drive! Nice looking vehicle you got there, if it had pedals it would be the complete package.

Well done on your build

sorry to hear that, i would love to take mine off if i could! but that will get me in trouble :) Im starting to like the look of the smaller diameter wheel bikes more and more. I just built one, but have yet to electrify it!

I resized and reposted your first picture. The original was too big, I had to click on it to see.
chill4x4saph.JPG
Very, very nice build. More detailed pictures please. Did you build the frame yourself?

hi,
thanks for that!, computers are not my first language!! ha!, and thank you for your compliment!

yeah, I drew up the design and built it all up myself, I even painted it myself!! (seemed to take longer than building it!!)

its made of thin wall stainless tubing throughout. I first built it in 07, but back then t had lead acid gell batteries, ive recently rebuilt it and modified it, managed to shave around 30kg off the total weight (its about 44kg) plus increase the punch and range at the same time by going to lipos.
it tops out at 52mph when fully charged, and on a run if I keep it to around 20 mph it gets around 28 wh/mile..... if I blast up and down the street flat out accelerating and pulling wheelies it doesn't do so good!! (around 140-150 wh/mile!!!) and it has 8, 6s 8000mah lipo bricks in series parallel so its got 44.4v and 32ah (1420 kwh)

I will get some other pics from other angles in the next couple of days and try and upload them correctly this time!! lol

chill4x4saph said:
... it tops out at 52mph when fully charged, and on a run if I keep it to around 20 mph it gets around 28 wh/mile..... if I blast up and down the street flat out accelerating and pulling wheelies it doesn't do so good!! (around 140-150 wh/mile!!!) and it has 8, 6s 8000mah lipo bricks in series parallel so its got 44.4v and 32ah (1420 kwh)
I'm impressed. 140-150Wh/mile!

Coincidentally I also have a 1.4kWh battery on one of my ebikes. It's an almost legal ebike with a top speed of 24mph unassisted. 99% of the time I use it in legal "pedelec" mode where I provide 1/2 the required power and cruising at an average 18mph. Energy consumption is 10Wh/mile and range is 140 miles.

I (obviously) missed the point out when I wrote 1420 kwh, I meant 1.420 kwh! oops!

when you say pedalec mode does that mean it senses how much effort you put in?, and is that what those cadence sensors ive seen are for?

I am not the best with the electrical side of the e bikes, im a motor mechanic by trade, and a driving ban is what initially got me interested in the electric bikes for transport, but im a total convert, I love them all. I mean the one ive posted the picture of is fantastic fun, and rides lovely if I say so myself, but I have just as much fun with my crystalyte equipped old diamond back, sat on cruise control for nice 50-60 mile summer rides out!!
im actually building another one at the minute that I should hopefully complete in the next couple of weeks.

No worry. I knew you meant 1.42kWh. It would take a full size van to carry a 1,420kWh battery.

chill4x4saph said:
when you say pedalec mode does that mean it senses how much effort you put in?, and is that what those cadence sensors ive seen are for?
I should have put pedelec in quotes. No, I meant to say that I actually pedaled and actually provided at least 1/2 of the power required. But I am looking for a true torque (not cadence) sensor and a corresponding controller. Once I find that combo, I will build a true pedelec. No more throttle!

I just looked. I did put pedelec in quotes :D

ah!, yeah that would be cool!
from what I read these things have something like that?

http://dailym.ai/145eiF7

I don't know if that link is going to work?

yes the link works, but no after watching the video it doesn't seem to have a torque sensing feature. when I first read it I misunderstood, I though it had no throttle but somehow sensed your inputs, my mistake.

chill4x4saph said:
Right, it definitely does not have a torque sensor. Whatever sensing device it has has more to do with marketing than engineering.

Anyway, where is the battery? Inside the two fat wheels?

hope that name doesn't prove prophetic & scroos you outta your munny

SamTexas said:
Anyway, where is the battery? Inside the two fat wheels?

welll, okay.
seeing how your a quad & all, forced to type with a chopstick clenched between your teef (or is it between your butt-cheeks?)
i guess i can spoon-feed you this one time.
FAQ

> ARE BATTERIES INCLUDED?
Scrooser comes equipped with a Lithium-Ion battery that is very efficient, maintenance free and lightweight. While in Eco mode, one battery charge will last an estimated 25 days in the urban environment. The battery cells are stored in an external case underneath the footboard. Either you charge it right at the Scrooser or it can be taken out in order to plug it into an ordinary outlet. A LED display shows the state of charge. It takes about three hours to charge the battery with the standard charger. We also will be offering a quick charger that only needs 1.5 hours to completely fill the battery (~500 load cycles).

Last updated: Monday Jun 10, 2:43pm EDT

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
hope that name doesn't prove prophetic & scroos you outta your munny

welll, okay.
seeing how your a quad & all, forced to type with a chopstick clenched between your teef (or is it between your butt-cheeks?)
i guess i can spoon-feed you this one time.
What language is that? Are you illiterate or just plain stupid?

chill4x4saph said:
ah!, yeah that would be cool!
from what I read these things have something like that?

the scrooser has some weird "push-assist" that they mentioned is still in development....

similar to a pedelec idea... in some ways... (pedelec = pedal electric)

but different... (as mentioned by SamTexas)

btw, cool looking ride,
reminds me a bit of the thunderstruck jackal ...

jackal2.jpg

sk8norcal said:
actually Toorbough,

if you take a close look at the pics and vids, there does not appear to be any battery underneith the foot plate.
you can see what appears to be a battery box under the seat in some shots....

the rest of the time its just a manual push scooter.

i did & totally agree.
however they seem to carefully avoid a clear view from underneath, hinting that they don't have (or had) the proto developed to it's final form hence my 'scroos' caveat.
0:40 in the video shows what could be the controller location & the underseat bag which is kinda small so likely just for cargo.
but could be where they keep a small pack for the test mule, most of the shots did not have one.

a one kW pack (48V20Ah) is gonna require a fair chunk of real-estate.
deck mount on a scoot is an automatic given its inherent handling advantage even if it wasn't explicitly spelled out in the FAQ.
with battery energy density being where it is today it's physically impossible to cram that many watt-hours into one small hub.
anyone who isn't illiterate or just plain lazy would have been able to read that the other wheel is full of hubmotor.

Thanks. It's nice to see an elegant, powerful build. The lack of pedals made it an "honest" vehicle. I like the CA's display of 155Wh/mile.

I got sick of looking at powerful, ghetto looking electric bicycles with show only pedals.

thank you, its very good of you to say,
I must confess I was very tempted to fit it with "working" pedals to try and comply with the rules, but I thought as it doesn't comply with other rules (to fast for one!) and also (more-so) because I hate having things on vehicles that don't work I decided to just leave them off, plus I wanted to keep it as light as possible.

it rides really well to (although I suppose im bound to say that aren't I), there are some pretty large speed bumps on my street and I glides over them even wheelieing at 40mph.

and the 155wh/mile is pretty much the maximum it gets to, I think once it hit 161wh/mile, but that is just flat out accelerating/wheelieing, braking hard, and turning round and going up and down the street doing that, so not really typical.

Back