Victpower battery pack after 1 year

Thanks Agnisum. You don't like wood box? It was cheap and cost me nothing :lol:
I don't have precision tool to cut metal or epoxy, it's a bit annoying for me.

I'm not sure to understand what should be the size of the aluminium sheet? 700mmx1mmxthickness?? And how do I bend it twice?

My battery is in bad shape, tried to charge it...
Untitled-2.fw.png

cwah said:
Thanks Agnisum. You don't like wood box? It was cheap and cost me nothing :lol:
I don't have precision tool to cut metal or epoxy, it's a bit annoying for me.

I'm not sure to understand what should be the size of the aluminium sheet? 700mmx1mmxthickness?? And how do I bend it twice?

The size of aluminum would be 1mm thick by width of your cells plus compression plates and length which is 223mm x 2 sides plus the bottom.
You can make the drawing and take it to someone who has router to route it ;)
Wood is good insulator and not that fire resistant.

Thanks Agnisum but I'm trying to minimize the cost. I'm sure I'll get charged an arm to get aluminium+eposy sheet cut and routed. This pack is getting damn expensive and I'd like not to have a 50 euro box.

I have now a DIY cell voltage tracking :lol:
2013-08-09%2021.31.27.jpg

so now you are at 16S of the original cells?

you need to protect the cells from over charging by using the BMS to charge.

you can try remove the resistor from the signal line for the next channel over and see if it works on 16S that way and if not you can buy another BMS to balance it and prevent it from overcharging any more.

Hey Cwah,

just read through this entire thread. Sorry for all the trouble you´ve been through.

Although many members have had bad cells when ordering Hobby King Lipos, none of the packs that found it´s way into my bike had any problems when arriving here in Germany.
In roughly 2 years a total of 32 Turnigy nano tech 6s 8Ah packs came from China to my house. All the cells were balanced perfectly and had a storage charge of 3,85V.

The battery for my stealth custom built bike is made up of 12 turnigy packs. Having 4 in parallel and then 3 of these blocks in series gives me 32 Ah at 75V.
Prior to riding inserting a 42 pin custom " Harting " plug establishes all the serial connections combining the 3 blocks and thus producing an 18S 4P*4 battery.
The great thing is that when charging this using 3 i-chargers, they do all the balancing and checking. They even monitor the temperature. :)
So yes, there´s no BMS. So what, i have 3 battery medics installed in the bikes dashboard and thus can see ever cells voltage at all times.
At around 3,6V i cut power and pedal home, if not there already. :mrgreen:

161i2aw.jpg

This is it. Machined out of aluminum this dashboard shows me every cells voltage. The round switch on the right side with the green wires cuts the power to the medics when the bike is not used.

So, i´ve done 214 cycles so far. Problems?
Yes, one cell dropped a bit more in voltage then the others on heavy acceleration.
Since this battery is modular it was easy to locate the problem. I could have just swapped that one cell soldering it out, but just sticking a new pack in there seemed safer and faster.

Believe it or not, this battery gave me 17481 km without any problems. The 109 $ spent on a new pack after all this time seems cheap.
Ok 1308 $ is what the whole pack cost me and it will probably die soon. My simple setup though gave me years of riding with no issues. Balance charging is essential. Prior to assembly all cells where charged individually to exactly 3,85 V.

Back