420A 24S ESC by aliens

why would someone use more than one shunt?`I saw my sensorless 24xirfb-3077 has 4 shunts in parallel, thought that was just for making it more simple to produce :? It eats 45-85amps without hassle from a dead stop and does not appear to die someday.

crossbreak said:
why would someone use more than one shunt?`I saw my sensorless 24xirfb-3077 has 4 shunts in parallel, thought that was just for making it more simple to produce :? It eats 45-85amps without hassle from a dead stop and does not appear to die someday.
hey crossbreak,i have just one shunt a huge one rated for a peak of 600amps which is good enough for me,it will start from a dead stop on hills as long as you have enough battery power ,it might stutter very little on hills but it will go after that

crossbreak said:
hey kelvin,

thx for your vid, finally someone who adds something useful :roll:

One question: Can you accelerate hard from a dead stop on a hill without using pedals? Does it struggle? What current limit did you set in CA?
My current limit was set to 500amps

crossbreak said:
thx for the rapid answer....500amps! Your motor wont eat that :lol: What amps/watts do you see during acceleration?
i have used up to 296amps during acceleration and had a peak of 345amps on a fully charged 75volts battery

circuit said:
crossbreak said:
One question: Can you accelerate hard from a dead stop on a hill without using pedals? Does it struggle? What current limit did you set in CA?
I think the real question would be how many current shunts does it have. If the answer is 1, then answer to your question is yes, it struggles and will blow up some day.

With that in mind, I would like to see a test (video) of full throttle at stall, for at least 10 seconds.

Since it's not a generic ebike controller, with all the bells & whistles how easy would it be to fit them?

Here is the alien power system controller temperature after a 10miles ride 35 degree celsius

Attachments

• 944640_691097997584919_1985435575_n.jpg
    944640_691097997584919_1985435575_n.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,037
Here is the motor temperature after a 10miles ride 85 degree celsius

Attachments

• 995160_691097740918278_1871257438_n.jpg
    995160_691097740918278_1871257438_n.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,037
Here is the maximum current draw by the cycle analyst for the whole 10miles ride 319.1amps

Attachments

• P110813_19.16_[01].jpg
    P110813_19.16_[01].jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 893
I have given more than enough evidence that this esc is good and i don't make false claims like some member said i did,so if you doubt it buy one yourself and do a personal test because i've done my best

While I agree with Crossbreak that this is all interesting and you obviously are making progress, what Circuit is saying is you don't have enough info for us to repeat the experiment. ES is like a scientific journal that way.

Do you already have a thread on your bike? That might be interesting.

An own thread, that would be great! We want to know Battery chemistry, number if cells, rim size, BMS used, shunt value, min voltage during test etc. etc. :D

Thx a lot for all of you info, you already helped me a lot. You can save your time uploading pics of CA and IR-Temps, this can be counterfeit very easily anyway. If you just tell us exactly your test conditions we would be very happy :)

methods said:
Luke is far from the only guy around here who can string together a few packs and load down an ESC. How about someone pipes up who thinks they have the time, gear, and money to run the test. I will get the equipment from Luke and ship it to you at my expense.

Problem solved.

Who wants to do it?

If I land this dream job I am focused on and my coffers fill to the brim with fiat currency then I will do the test. Ain't rocket science - and I have all the gear. Might even be willing to loan some gear local if that works out.

-methods
Has methods made good on this yet to anyone?
If not, i'll throw my hat in the ring.....the only "gear" i have is a stand alone CA & the bully track bike to test it in its worst nightmare senario.
P4140066.jpg

(This bike has 5 hv160 notches in its belt)

If it survives 5 runs at full voltage & 25ah (rc lipo) on the test track, i'll forward the thing to the next guy on the list for more empirical testing. (Prolly arlo1 so we can watch it run a colossis on a dyno) he has a good record for documenting things.

The only reason being, i know how much easier it is to run a hub motor on these controllers....etard has a crap ton of miles on an Castle ice100 running a fwd hubbie.

Lets see how the controller feels spinning a motor @ 9k rpms instead of 860.
The math works out: 9k/7pole prs=63,000erpm vs 860/23 pole prs=19,760erpm.
Figuring a 20" wheel is still only 1109 rpms. only a 3rd of the stress I'll show it.
Switching losses are a b#%*!

Join my electric community on facebook to learn more about my bike and share your own idea and opinion concerning any electric vehicle related topic https://www.facebook.com/groups/201931886642580/

My very first test setup was 75volts 20AH lipo battery which gave a top speed of 72mph but after damaging a 5AH Battery out of 20AH my top speed range has been between 60-65mph,my rim size is 18inch but with an overall wheel diameter of 24inches due to a fat motorcycle tire,my shunt value is 50mv/600amps=0.0833mohms after the calculation i tried to do a test in comparison with my dc clamp meter and it seems to be very accurate,all my tests so far has been done with a 75volt battery and i get a high voltage sag from 75volts to 69volts or even lower during acceleration,i haven't done a dyno test or a graph test because i don't have an access to those equipments/facilities so far my real test has been on the road and i've really smoked the motor :D

jansevr said:
sounds great zombiess, what motor specifically? it will be nice to finally see some real torture tests and see what it can do :D

My low inductance high KV Cromotor. 30uH and 18KV. I already have some fet temp and amps data from the Xie Chang controllers running this motor on 75v up to 180a during acceleration. Holding 50 mph take around 80a continuous. I am feeling pretty good about it working based off the video of the poster in here who used a large hub motor.

zombiess said:
jansevr said:
sounds great zombiess, what motor specifically? it will be nice to finally see some real torture tests and see what it can do :D

My low inductance high KV Cromotor. 30uH and 18KV. I already have some fet temp and amps data from the Xie Chang controllers running this motor on 75v up to 180a during acceleration. Holding 50 mph take around 80a continuous. I am feeling pretty good about it working based off the video of the poster in here who used a large hub motor.
Zombie be careful with your test because that controller is capable and strong enough to fry/toast your windings in your cromotor :twisted:

kelvinscott76 said:
zombiess said:
jansevr said:

Zombie be careful with your test because that controller is capable and strong enough to fry/toast your windings in your cromotor :twisted:

Not without some serious work on my part, the phase wires would most likely fry first. It has 30 strands of what is probably 20AWG wrapped 2 times around each tooth giving it the equivalent of at least 6 AWG and closer to 5 based on circular mils. I've run 180A through it as hard as I could on/off the throttle for several minutes.

Can't wait to try it out, this will be my first experience using an "RC" controller on a hub motor. I'm looking for alternatives to the Xie Chang controllers (but also working on some development for them too...).

i have 6 10awg wire going through my motor axle,2 for each of the phases so my phase wire never melted or did i have any issue with the phase wires :D

@zombiess - sweet I can't wait to see your test controller with the cro motor. If you find the controller is perfect for cromotor then I will follow your step. I probably put 150A max for my cromotor.

*subscribed*

Back