Alternatives to the BMSBattery hubs

Observator

10 W
Alternatives to the Q100/85 models.

As the topic states I'm searching for the geared Q85 and Q100 motors. Or there equals. Specifically front wheel geared motors. Ideally i want to buy a motor already laced into a wheel, preferably a 28" one. With the slowest wind available. I have been searching Aliexpress for good alternatives, in order to avoid the hassle many seem to have had to deal with when buying from BMSBattery.com. But so far come up with little for my troubles.

i have found: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...50W-for-Front-Wheel-MWB/612941_593098727.html

However the low number of sales by the vendor coupled with the cryptic ad puts me of.

So all you geared hub gurus, where do you get your fix?

NOTE! I am in Europe

http://www.greenbikekit.com/ Are quite similar, except there reputation is not always being questioned

Looks good, apart from the site not working at the moment. Said something about upgrading the site so i guess it will be running again in a day or two. Happen to know where they are localized?

I ordered a kit and extras last week from them (greenbikekit.com)... about 10% higher than BMSBattery.com (or $50 US). The order has not shipped yet but was emailed that it would ship later this week. I'll post results once I have the order.

BMSBattery are not as bad as some would suggest. Most people don't get any problems. I've placed about 20 orders with them totalling more than $7000, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. A lot of what people say about them comes to very little. As an example, there was recently a long thread about them, but what it came down to was a very slightly dented motor that could happen with any supplier with the same consequences, and the normal loose spokes. They used to ship some dodgy chargers, but I haven''t heard about that for a long time now so probably sorted. Nearly all the Chinese stuff is made in small workshops, so the odd quality problem is inevitable, but over the three years I've been dealing with it, problems have reduced substantially.

There's at least two other suppliers of the same Q100 kit. I'm pretty sure that they all get this stuff from the same place, so the quality is the same. You have to check and adjust the spokes on all their wheels, which is the main problem. Whoever you use, if they make a mistake, you're pretty well stuck with it. Greenbike kit have the best comms and the lowest shipping charges, but they've still been known to try the old trick of bumping up the shipping cost at the time of shipping. Elifebike are another alternative. Personally, I don't believe that there's much between them. I use BMSBattery because they have the best choice of stuff.

There's also this European supplier, but you pay a lot more:
http://elfkw.at/shop

I ordered my motor from mwmotor and the seller is called Jane

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/16-to-28-inch-electric-bike-BLDC-hub-motor-MWB/612941_593546163.html

She is very good and response very well for my order. I got my motor in a week time and put it on my brompton.

I highly recommend her if you want to order hubs rather than BMSbattery

Pat

I have bought kits from bmsbattery greenbikekit and elifebike and I can't say there is much difference. Elifebike lace the wheel in a srange way, i think it was called over under or something, but it was by far the straitest of the wheels. Greenbikekit has been the fastest and bmsbattery the slowest. The q100 seams to go by different names on different sites

Yeah, they are all basically the same – and the motors likely come from the same place.

The biggest beef people have with BMSbattery is that they have no customer service and don’t provide a lot of help to people. They often don’t answer questions. You are basically buying wholesale. It is great if you know what you are doing, or ask your friends here for help. ES is basically customer service for those sites.

There are a lot of North American based vendors who do a good job of validating what they sell and taking care of their customers. I haven't seen any I can remember that sell a 250 watt motor (except hill topper), and of course with good customer service you will not be paying wholesaler prices...

I should add that greenbikekit pretty consistently screws up the wiring on their controllers/throttles so that there is a good chance that they will not match. Its easy to fix, once you know what the problem is. It is a PITA if you have no idea why nothing seems to be working.

Also, BMS charges fairly large minimum charge for shipping ($50), so they are worthless for small light orders. Elife and Green bike kit are willing to do small shipments. But like anything from over there, you often have to double the price of something once you throw in shipping.

i bought my motor from that aliexpress vendor. They are excellent to work with.

I spent an hour last night chatting with "Jane chen" regarding my existing motor and my plans for a new 2 wheel drive build. She spent a lot of time figuring out what I wanted/needed and which motors would be a good fit.

I would suggest that you chat with them. I love my motor, and they delivered it in great condition. Based on my experience with MW Motors on aliexpress, They are good to deal with.

I would suggest chatting with them.

chas58 said:
The biggest beef people have with BMSbattery is that they have no customer service and don’t provide a lot of help to people. They often don’t answer questions. You are basically buying wholesale.

I definitely agree with the last part of this, about how you are basically buying wholesale. I've done a lot of volume ebike building so BMSbattery has been great for me, since the prices are pretty much the cheapest anywhere and when you buy more than one or two kits, the shipping suddenly becomes pretty reasonable.

I've made probably 15 or 20 orders there, most of at least $1,000 a pop (it's a lot easier to spend other people's money than your own!) and I have rarely ever had a mistake or a problem. Rather, they have always been great with me. I've actually always gotten *gasp* GREAT customer service from BMSbattery, though that could be a reflection of how much business I give them.

Quick anecdote. Once I had an order of about $1200 get stopped by customs and returned to china. BMSbattery sent it back to me a second time free of charge - I didn't pay a dime for the second shipping. My country's customs seized it again and this time said it had to be destroyed. BMSbattery considered it a write off, sent me a new set of all the parts for FREE, and with FREE shipping (third time the package was shipped, mind you) and played some clever labeling game to get it through customs successfully. Now that is some customer service right there...

Back