EV Steampunk

allen_okc

1 W
8) STEAMPUNK STEAMPUNK STEAMPUNK - did i say its gonna be a EV Steampunk, 96 volt 300ah chevy volt battery pack, which im hoping for a 2 hour ride at 60 amps constant, if my math is correct - but thanks to the fellows at ATC for the GM battery pack...

With a Steam Engine look and a very disturbed Steampunk decor, this bike should be the kind of motorcycle that will definitely turn people's heads in disbelief - it will be fully a road legal motorbike...

I just ask that you good folks reserve your comments about the frame strength until you see the added gussets attached to the frame and forks to give it a I-Beam effect...

this first image is 3D rendering i did with the beautiful Kato "Steamgirl" supper imposed onto the image with her permission, as she display it on her Facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=497560103650789&set=a.165412280198908.41858.165379873535482&type=1&theater

as the construction continues...

Attachments

• IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 1,780
  • IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 8,971
  • IMG_0166.jpg
    IMG_0166.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 8,971
  • IMG_0168.jpg
    IMG_0168.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 8,971
  • battery box-23.jpg
    battery box-23.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 8,971
  • R-Steampunk-3D-3.jpg
    R-Steampunk-3D-3.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 8,971
  • Chopper and Steampunk.jpg
    Chopper and Steampunk.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 8,971
Pretty impressive mate! I love when people make their own chassis!!

i was going to a 96 volt system - but i will stay with the 72 volt system, i'll leave the high performance for the next build - the V-Cycle, fast fast fast will be its thing, inspiration of the V-Cycle and the Steampunk motorcycles as follows in the images below :)

Attachments

• compare.jpg
    compare.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 8,718
Love the rendering.

I did get a little dizzy after the 1st 15 seconds of spinning though :lol:
The steam-punk build is my personal favorite (so far)

Off topic-are you doing anything with the NEDRA bike lately?
Please keep the updates coming.
T

I hear you Thud, it made me dizzy too LOL... :)

well the drag scooter components are now in the EV Chopper - with the exception of the 72 volt AXE ALLTRAX and contactor, everything else is driving the Chopper which cruises about 80mph plus, i have a new 300 amp hour chevy volt battery pack that is going into it, to get a 2 hour ride at 60amps, i hope. i have 72 cells of the 8amp hour headway cells, 3P24S, which is to low of a amp hour for any meaningful distance... but im learning...

here is a video of the three...

[youtube]YeJSFrEU1Ss[/youtube]

Great work Allen. You set the bar awfully high for the rest of us. At some point do share all the details of the Volt battery. Did you get that salvage?

actually there is a company here in Oklahoma City that repairs and test the battery packs for GM - a friend of mine mentioned my chopper to one of the fellows there and asked me to ride over there to show it to them in person - i did and they really loved it - they took me on a tour of what they do, and during the conversation they told me that they cant sell a pack to me but they could use my motorcycle as a test vehicle - and with that i got a 300ah 72 volt section from a chevy volt given to me, with a warning that GM and they cannot be responsible to any damage to the pack or my bike - i agreed with a smile on my face :p

i wasnt going to do it, but after sitting in the saddle, that bare backbone just doesnt feel right, im used to having a "CONSOLE-FAKE GAS TANK" there, kinda of a security blanket thing - so i went ahead and started building a console for the back bone...

Attachments

• Console-2.jpg
    Console-2.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 8,455
  • Console-3.jpg
    Console-3.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 8,455
I couldnt use any generic headlight for this build, so i created my own headlight out of brass - i ordered a brass bezel for it, but the components are from a old HD Sporster, its still being worked but it works and totally fits this bike...

Attachments

• headlight-1.jpg
    headlight-1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 8,282
Ok, the motors I make are for my own use and are not accurately made (I use simple tools), but the
potential is definately there. This is my triple stator base on a bicycle axle (meant for chain
drive to rear wheel or mid-drive):
DSC01210.jpg
build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=46476

I really like the look of the brass spacers and the copper showing through the acryllic glass stator plates.

This motor was made with simple tools, a jigsaw and a drill press.

If you have access to more advanced tools (cnc router would get you very far) the sky is the limit.

The triple stator version as shown above should make about 3 hp at 1000rpm. If you make it
better ballanced (cnc!) and you can spin it up to 7000 rpm -> 21 hp ! Make it a little bigger, maybe
1.5 times the radius -> power doubles again so now we're at over 40 hp ! go to 6 disks instead of 3 -> 80 hp !

So... instead of using a bicycle axle, if you make your own axle which feeds out the end of the
motor you can connect it to a gearbox. The example of Moto Guzzi (or BMW) makes it relatively
easy to mate the motor to the gearbox and you don't need belts or chains, and the input-rpm
of the gearbox is in the realistic ranges (few 1000 rpm)... Also an old guzzi or bmw should have
enough room in front of the gearbox to put a nice big Axial Flux motor, and an older bike still
has a classic frame good for simple motor support.

Back