20 inch full suspension twin 3220 build begins!

Holy shit batman! I'll come down and try it if you won't. :p :mrgreen:

Seriously cool supermoto bike!

Head does look steep. Should flat track well. With it on level ground, a bubble level with a protractor will get well under a degree resolution eyeballing it from the side.

What does the final ratio work out to. Looks fantastic. Great job. Please post vids when your customer rides it so we can hear what it sounds like.

thanks for sharing.

That is 4mm carbon fiber.

Yes, VERY expensive. Of course the forks were expensive, the wheels were expensive, the motors were expensive, the shock was expensive, the brakes were expensive, etc, etc, etc.

This is a "Cost be damned" build. :D

Matt

Hehehe :lol: May I ask what the total cost price was?

Oh, and Recumpence... comparing this bike to your PK Ripper (although this one has a lot more power), which one handles better and which one is more fun? (If they would have about the same power)

did you calculate range? can't be much more than a cafe racer distance. :)
if i read correctly it's 15ah and 20kW power. 75v hoc and 15ah gives slightly above 1kWh energy saved. let's assume 10kW average than it's emtpy within 6min. even at a mere 5kW it's only (really immense) 10min of fun.
or did i miss something?
btw: a REALLY impressive piece of craftmanship. may i ask for a high-res jpg (>1920x1080) of bike5.jpg and lipo2.jpg. i'd like to use them as wallpaper and inspiration.

i would guess between 5-6k in parts plus probably around 1-200 hours worth of time planning and machining all of the custom parts.

the one thing that i don't understand is why zippy? i would have thought something with a higher discharge rate like the 50c nano tech would have been a better option especially considering the high quality of all the other components.

The pack is 25C at 25amphour. That gives a discharge rate of around 600 amps. The system will pull 400 amps (and that for only a 1/2 second at a time while the front wheel shoots upward). :)

Here are some prices of a few of the components;

Twin motor drive with controllers, frame mounts, etc $3,000
Forks $1,100
Brakes $700
Shock $300
Carbon Fiber $400 (and that is a discounted price)
Wheels $1,100
Bike? (I bough it used and stripped and powdercoated it) I have about $600 in the frame alone.

Those are just some of the more obvious parts. You are correct about the labor time. I put about 6 hours per week into the bike to finish it.

Matt

yea i suppose with 25ah its not a problem. i've just had bad experience with zippy in the past. for whatever reason they seem less quality than even the regular turnigy (overheating - under their rating discharge rate - low cycles before reduced capicity and puffing). nano tech just seems that it would mach the price of the bike more. and you wouldn't be running the packs so close to their rated limit (which shouldn't be a problem but it wouldn't hurt to be doing 20c on a 50c rated pack).

any chance you could get some video of this beast in action?

recumpence said:
Latest work;

Today I installed the correct brakes on the bike, fabricated the center console, and did a bunch of chain clearance/component interference corrections.

Here are the latest pictures.

The bike is 52 pounds as it sits without batteries or controllers. It will gain 20 to 21 pounds when the packs and other bits are installed. So, the bike will weigh in at under 75 pounds with 24 horsepower. That is a 3 to 1 weight to power ratio. This is the most powerful bike at that weight I have ever built. Honestly, at this point, this thing is beginning to frighten me, seriously frighten me........ It is far more light weight motorcycle than bicycle.

It is far wilder than I initially envisioned.

Matt

I bow before greatness. Which is rare.
You make mechanical look artistic.
Function beating on form.
I love it.
Consider me bowed.
Your skills deserve mass production.
What can one say, but GREAT job.

recumpence said:
The pack is 25C at 25amphour. That gives a discharge rate of around 600 amps. The system will pull 400 amps (and that for only a 1/2 second at a time while the front wheel shoots upward). :)

Here are some prices of a few of the components;

Twin motor drive with controllers, frame mounts, etc $3,000
Forks $1,100
Brakes $700
Shock $300
Carbon Fiber $400 (and that is a discounted price)
Wheels $1,100
Bike? (I bough it used and stripped and powdercoated it) I have about $600 in the frame alone.

Those are just some of the more obvious parts. You are correct about the labor time. I put about 6 hours per week into the bike to finish it.

Matt

Less than 10k! Deal. Sure as hell beat the ass off a Stealth.

Well, I have less than $10K invested in it. But, my labor pushes that number up higher.

Man, I am so close to finishing this thing.

At the beginning I was puting every extra minute of my time into this bike. After a while I began burning out and rushing it. Now, near the end, I am puting a calculated amount of time into the bike. That keeps me from rushing it and cheapening the bike by cutting corners.

I am so close, though. I need to stop by a car audio shop and pick up some fine strand 12 gauge wire and get the CA and it is on to soldering wire. After that the bike will be tested and disassembled for anodizing.

I have developed a high degree of respect for those building street-rods and other custom vehicles. This is just a bicycle and it is really an involved project.

Matt

matt could you please post some close up pics of the rear disc caliper and how you mounted the rear disc and the gear wheel next to each other? the chain must be really close to the tire, isn't it?
could you please send me some high res pics? i'd really love to have those as wallpaper :)

izeman said:
matt could you please post some close up pics of the rear disc caliper and how you mounted the rear disc and the gear wheel next to each other? the chain must be really close to the tire, isn't it?
could you please send me some high res pics? i'd really love to have those as wallpaper :)

Here are the latest pictures.

The controllers are mounted and all batteries are installed. I am waiting on the V3 CA and a new twist grip shifter.

Once those are in, the wiring will be done and the bike will be finished!

Matt

Attachments

• battery1.jpg
    battery1.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 2,156
  • battery2.jpg
    battery2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 2,156
  • battery3.jpg
    battery3.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 2,156
Hey Guys,

A new development has arisen. The client has decided to take this project to the next level. He has requested a few things and I would like your input on them;

#1 Brake lights (I have never dealt with brake lights before for hydraulic brakes).

#2 Dual headlights with a small nose fairing.

#3 Decorative gold plating.

#4 "Whatever I think would be cool." :mrgreen:

So, what are your thoughts? I am open to suggestions!

Matt

Lovely build Matt, as always :wink:

're: nose fairing, I want the same and looked to eBay for a solution there are many
Available for motorcycles that could very simply be adapted to the e-bike you have
The are street fighter fairing, can't seem to add the pic I downloaded, I'm using th atm.
Google street fighter fairing, hit images...

Hope this helps look forward to seeing the new upgrades mate

KiM

There are so many great builds here, many of which have great electrical systems. But...when it comes to a comprehensive electrical system with lights front and rear, I can't imagine a more professional system than Teklektiks Yuba Mundo (6 pages). No surprise he used to work full time in the electrical industry.

“2WD Electric Yuba Mundo Build”
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36959

file.php

recumpence said:
Hey Guys,

A new development has arisen. The client has decided to take this project to the next level. He has requested a few things and I would like your input on them;

#1 Brake lights (I have never dealt with brake lights before for hydraulic brakes).

#2 Dual headlights with a small nose fairing.

#3 Decorative gold plating.

#4 "Whatever I think would be cool." :mrgreen:

So, what are your thoughts? I am open to suggestions!

Matt

I'm pretty sure the brake lights will need to be custom fabbed. You could use a simple tactile switch, and some GRIN potted lights.

For the nose fairing, low density foam can be stacked, glued together, and cut to shape with a thin element like a saran cutter. Then you can use it for a carbon/glass fiber mold.

You could use a pattern to cut gold leaf foil and lay it on the bodywork, then clear coat over it. Carbon fiber + gold would look good together.

-mobile

I have parts out for anodizing right now. I also had to reorder the CA.

A few of the parts have come back and looks PHENOMINAL! The chain tensioner is red as well as the three pulleys. The motor plate and drive mount parts are black.

This bike may be taking time, but it looks incredible.......

Matt

Awesome Matt!

Here is a LED Parking/Brake light I put on my Catrike 700..... very bright!

Tommy L sends......
mosh.gif

[youtube]WnicZ3DsvfY[/youtube]

Back