"Da bomb" cargo bike + Transmag 3kW / MAC 2kW / HS3548

It's fall.. the weather is good... and i'm lookin' at this bike and thinking, eff this chaindrive stuff on this frame :evil: I can't throw any more money into this anymore. I'll be moving soon and won't have the garage space to tinker with this. What i need is the ability to custom-weld a suitable rear for this business. What i have is basically a frame that is worthless for the task at hand.

That being said, dual 24" hubs? h4080? not sure where to go..

You're moving again!? On one hand, it sounds fun to try out a new place every 6 months.

Hub motors are the default IMO. Bicycles just don't have the room to mount up a chain drive well. Better to ride a hub than not ride at all!

Yeah, to a different place here in the Salt Lake valley - a bit closer to town, since we end up driving to town 10 miles away far too often, and can't haul the bikes so easily in a little nissan car. There's also basically nothing to ride for out here, unless you add 20 round trip miles to getting into the SLC area on top of wherever you want to go.

But i am thinking about moving to Reno, NV next year because it is similar to here, but just a little bit less harsh in climate, and they have actual wind and waaaaaaaay less flying bugs ( you get coated in them riding here in some areas, especially where i'm at ( near the salt lake and wetlands.. it's gross.. )

Yeah, bicycles don't make the chain drive stuff easy at all, i see why most chain drive setups are RC motors.. otherwise something extremely ugly and kludgy is involved, or a custom frame. I think i will save the transmagnetics 3kW motor for a scooter conversion or something else. The MAC 2kw, i will pawn off on someone :p

veloman said:
Better to ride a hub than not ride at all!

+1, boy-eee!
bo-wee!.jpg

Screw it, i've got a 26" magic pie coming.

Yeah i know :p

It'll be different this time, i tell myself... :lol:

Nah, i started with a rear 250w mxus... lol. Fun for a week.
I never got to push the magic pie to it's limit 100% in the 20inch wheel. I've got another 18FET, it's time to pump that baby up to saturation.. :D

I love the sound of the 'pie anyway. Raspy, loud little bugger. It's just that the 20" was too damn slow of a winding. Do i want to balance 25-30S lipo packs forever? no thanks...

Looks like Gary doesn't have a 26" for me, maybe i'll go middle ground and get a 24" with that 2.5" x 24" hookworm i got layin around. If i need more power, i'll just stick the MAC motor in the front. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

I think the Clyte HT/HS is a good balance between power and size/weight. If you can get one for a good price. I got mine on here, one from ebikes.ca xmas sale, and the other was from a member who had it listed for a great price due to having a dent in the spoke flange. I've got over 1000 miles on it with no issues.

It does make the bike a little heavy, that is the only downside I can see. But I don't have more than a few low steps to drag my ebike over.

26" wheels - they plain old work. It's cool to try different setups, I do it all the time.

Definitely prefer the pie. Torque is comparable, if not better. Weight is the same. Heat shedding is better. And it's loud and i love loud. No axle breakage problems as with the crystalytes.. never heard of a side cover going awry either..
Oh, it also costs less $ too.

Totally underrated motor IMHO. You should try one. Admittedly the HS3548 i tried was a high speed wind though, so the comparison is not perfect by any means.

But we'll see what happens when i hook up the 18FET and torture it to saturation.

neptronix said:
Yeah i know :p

It'll be different this time, i tell myself... :lol:

Bring on the burnout video!

Gary was out of 26" wheels so i'm getting a 24".

I notice that with the 24" hookworm, the total diameter of the 24" wheel would be about what it is with a 1 inch tire on a 26" wheel. Not bad!

I think that will make for a good combo of torque and speed. Just hoping that there aren't issues with the spokes.

What happened to your 20" fully alumnium MP2. - you sold it?

I still have MPIII and I am thinking remove the internal controller and add the extend phase wiring to use LYEN controller run at 84v. Any news on your mid-drive on Da bomb cargo bike?

Anyways little other subject... Have you moving to Reno yet? I was in Salt Lake City 5th times straight every month and this October will be my 6th times to visit SLC as last month of october for us visitation my fiancee's son.

Yes, i did sell the motor. The wheel is too small and the winding too slow for my taste; this 24 inch magic pie that i have coming should remedy that mostly - ~19mph on 36v is good for a daily ride and doesn't require a fancy charging regimen.

If i remember correctly, i couldn't even hit 40mph on 72v with that 20" wheel; i needed 25S Lipo to do that. That was a pain to charge. This should be a lot better.

Like i said earlier, the mid drive is outta here; i need to weld and i don't have the facilities to do it..

chroot said:
What happened to your 20" fully alumnium MP2. - you sold it?

I still have MPIII and I am thinking remove the internal controller and add the extend phase wiring to use LYEN controller run at 84v. Any news on your mid-drive on Da bomb cargo bike?

Anyways little other subject... Have you moving to Reno yet? I was in Salt Lake City 5th times straight every month and this October will be my 6th times to visit SLC as last month of october for us visitation my fiancee's son.

dabaum.jpg

Looks like she'll ride again soon ;)... replaced all the broken components ( throttle, disc brake caliper, CA mount ), threw some touchup paint on the scratched bits, machined a freewheel spacer; just a few minor things left and i'm back on the road!

K
Update on this frame, and my bike projects in general.

My injuries from last year have mostly healed,so i am ready to get back on the bike as soon as it stops raining/showing, which should be soon i think.

The frame did not shed a single pound when it was cut down, which is a huge disappointment. I haven't been able to sell it either to move on to greater things. So i have decided just to turn this bike into a rather ordinary midtail, and that will involve cutting the side plates and part of the rear off, hopefully shedding at least 4lbs from it's portly 16lbs figure.

I have lost 45lbs myself on the atkins diet so i think it is time to equip the front end with a suspension fork, hoping that it will not still bottom out due to the position of the rider weight, but we'll see.

I plan on making it my long term long-distance rider. Will probably equip it with my old MAC motor. Plan on getting a new upgraded stator version later, or maybe just a bafang mid drive; dunno.

I have a mental manno frame sitting in the garage. Second production model, and sort of post-prototype with a few issues to sort out. When that's fixed up, i am going to get that thing running. Now that's a frame i'm actually excited about :)

Lost 45lbs! Holy Smokes and Congrats! Now that's gonna make a big difference.....

The bike lost 3lbs today as well ;)

daminiminibomb.jpg

Hey; it sort of, almost feels like a regular bike now!
I'm thinking that i'm going to see an aerodynamic improvement from this, too.

The bars that i took off the back were incredibly weak, it turns out. There is more weight in the little steel rack i have than the rear bars. That's kind of pathetic imho.

I just need to get the bar ends capped off by my local TIG welder and i should be good to go. Yay for having an odd-looking midtail.

haha yea where's the oil ?

Great job loosing that weight nep. I have done similar in the last year and I feel better then I have in years.

Even started back up at the gym. Can't wait for riding season to start.

Thanks ohzee and congrats on your results too. It really makes a difference, not only in life/health but also bike ride-ability.

Oh yeah, that's my garage and i am working on a nightmare of a car. It's a low-mileage '98 200SX SE that had a load of electrical problems right after i bought it and has eaten up my ebike budget for a solid 6 months. I will be so glad to have that thing off jackstands..

Congrats on the weight loss, you're going to feel like you have an extra 1000w now. At least.

I would have not chopped the rear off the frame, that was a great place to mount cargo... Yesterday I got 17.5wh/mile while my bike was loaded down with extra batteries - 115lbs total. They key is using the throttle softly. Still cruised fast.

Guess he doesn't take the bike shopping at Sams Club or Costco. I couldn't help thinking he just chopped off that frames best feature. It will ride lighter without a load of cargo though, that's for sure.

Definitely lighter with less lard on board. Way to go. I've been trying to knock off that last 5 pounds of Christmas fat for a month and not really getting there. Then I tried the swine flu diet. Worked like a charm and I lost 8 pounds in two weeks. :) Not that I recommend it, but too sick to eat for two weeks did the trick all right.

I'm on the paleo diet, which is similarly low carb to atkins. My initial weight loss was about 20 pounds, to a low of 170. Now eating just a few carbs I shoot for 175-180, and try to pedal enough to have ten pounds more muscle rather than 10 more of fat. 178 now. I went on a carb binge at Christmas, and got almost to 190 by new years.

Back