Made in china. Avoid.

circuit

100 kW
Had to brake harder than usual today. Here is the outcome:

DSC_2002s.jpg

Happened in middle of traffic, at around 20-30 km/h. Could have been messy, blood and body parts everywhere, etc. You get the picture.
I'm fine, not a scratch. But I will send them this photo anyway (not me), as this is only one month into 1 year warranty...

tumblr_.jpg

Damn... there goes most ebikes and their components, smartphones and a load of other fun things. :?

Just turn your handlebars 180 and your good to go :wink:

wow, that is a poorly constructed fork if braking forces bent it like that.

Okay, is there more to this story?

Looks like the weld broke from what I can see.

Speedmd, I did not hit anything, just my pride.. It must have been a priceless show.

Actualy the weld is okay. Problem is with metal itself, which is very soft. I have not seen aluminum this soft, you can easily cut it with knife.
Temporary fix to get back home was to reverse the handlebar and hit the bike to a tree. Fork bent right back after only one not very hard hit. Of course now it is not that straight and will not hold almost any braking or bumps, but did the trick to get back on road.

circuit said:
Speedmd, I did not hit anything, just my pride.. It must have been a priceless show.

Actualy the weld is okay. Problem is with metal itself, which is very soft. I have not seen aluminum this soft, you can easily cut it with knife.
Temporary fix to get back home was to reverse the handlebar and hit the bike to a tree. Fork bent right back after only one not very hard hit. Of course now it is not that straight and will not hold almost any braking or bumps, but did the trick to get back on road.

lol omg

A relative of mine has imported some gear (non ebike) where the steel was soft where it really needed to be strong.
I guess there is so much steel production in China there are corners being cut to compete with each other or something, seems like there is way to much soft steel out there.

circuit said:

Oh Shit. Most likely it was designed for steel, and someone substituted un heat treated aluminum in its place the same gauge. Contact DOT and find out how to get these things recalled. They should not be sold. Do you need a expert witness. 8) :wink:

Yeah, I think it is beneficial to me to first get some replacement parts (whatever the quality) and then take some actions. The main problem is that the factory does not sell these directly and it is quite hard to get to them. And user's manual is quite clever written, the only mention of brand of any kind I could find was "ENRIGHT", which, you guessed it, does not appear on google search.

Yes, we all buy things made in China.

But the Japanese make much better stuff.

At this point the Koreans do too.

But the Chinese can produce, which is why their stuff is the cheapest.

But the Americans have a fifth of the population, and still have four times the production. That's pretty kick-ass.

OK, small update. Warranty replacement parts are coming very slowly from China, so I have fixed the fork by straightening it and welding some aluminum sheet on top. Was driving it like that for two weeks now.

So today the same thing happened. Only at higher speed, so I flew like a bird, but with really bad landing. There was police, ambulance rushed me to hospital. It was the most painful journey I ever had. An I did have same bone fractures and deep cut with angle grinder in my life. This was worse.
So in the end I have:
  • scraped knee
  • scraped face, probably lost part of eyebrow
  • chipped tooth
  • possible brain concussion
  • fractured and dislocated palm bone and gypsum on whole arm from elbow

So I guess now it is time to escalate this to some agencies...

speedmd, do you have some practice dealing with DOT or federal trade commission? Any suggestions how to proceed?

That fork is like swiss cheese. You should show them your bills and tell them you want your money back.

I have seen the BMX fork failure videos on youtube and it is so scary. I really hope for a steadfast recovery.

Hi Circuit

Sorry to hear of your accident. Hope you make a full recovery. I am a bit surprised you were riding this death trap again :shock: . I guess you did not understand my original analysis and concern the first time it failed catastrophically and I suggested you try and get these things recalled / stopped at the border. IMO, This second accident is 99% your fault, sorry, but you need some tough love here.

At this point you need to call your local republican congress member and see if they will reopen the main government agencies that look after this type of product recall if you want help from the government anytime soon. Customs is still partially open. They are under homeland security and you may want to start there and see what they tell you as to what agencies would cover this product and how they instruct them to issue rulings that would get these things stopped at all crossings. I have only dealt with the FTC on a product forgery and they were very slow to act but know they got the bad players attention once they got moving. It may be a consumer protection agency or some other name you need to start with a report to. DOT to my knowledge only handles things with license plates. Find a Lawyer that likes to do this type of case and most will give you a free talk to go over your options.

Seriously dude - going back for more after getting beat up the first time is looking like battered wife syndrome. Nothing changed to make this time come out any better...

Get a divorce.

(Anyhow - best wishes on your recovery... :D )

Back