Viewing post history: Re: Long tail full suspension bolt-on frame

This page shows all versions of the post, starting with the most current version.
Viewing post history
This page shows all versions of the post, starting with the most current version.

Current post: Re: Long tail full suspension bolt-on frame

Postby spinningmagnets » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:27 am

"DIY longtail, Could it be this easy?"
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9673

I think Dogman and I are the biggest supporters of full-suspension longtails around here. He rides his often, and mine has been dis-assembled since I moved to another state (only have a one-car garage right now).

While mine was running, I loved it. I had it adjusted so that my feet were flat on the ground when I was at a stop. With fat tires it ran like a dream floating on a cloud.

Using a wheel bracket as the shock-mount is brilliant.

The flat plate that's anchored to the V-brake bosses is a great idea (mine was a disc-brake frame, no V-brake bosses). Such a plate would allow for several mounting-hole sets, so the shock could be moved forward or back (depending on the length of the shocks you experiment with). If the cheap-o WalJunk shocks were too craptastic, a more-expensive air-shock could dramatically improve the shock performance, with your budget being the only restriction.

I planned on a 24-inch (or 20-inch wheel with fattie moped tire= 22-inches, very flat-resistant) on the rear wheel for a future build to make the bike a little shorter overall. I wanted to show that it was possible to do with just a hacksaw and a drill. I put it together while I was renting a bedroom in a 2-bedroom apartment. The bottom pic is the money-shot of Dogmans frame-set. By leaving the top-tube on the rear frame section still attached, it provided a perfect place to hang cargo boxes.

Between your method and Dogmans, making a FS longtail is very easy and cheap, I highly recommend having a second E-bike like this as a back-up. Sooooo cheap to put one together.

"Full-Suspension Longtail 2.0"
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=19131&p=278822#p278822

Edited by spinningmagnets on Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:29 am.
spinningmagnets
100 GW
100 GW

Original post: Re: Long tail full suspension bolt-on frame

Postby spinningmagnets » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:27 am

I think dogman and I are the biggest supporters of full-suspension longtails around here. he rides his often, and mine has been dis-assembled since I moved to another state (only have a one-car garage right now).

While mine was running, I loved it. I had it adjusted so that my feet were flat on the ground when I was at a stop. With fat tires it ran like a dream floating on a cloud.

I agree with dogman, the using a wheel bracket as the shock-mount is brilliant. The flat plate that's anchored to the V-brake bosses is a great idea. such a plate would allow for several mounting-hole sets, so the shock could be moved forward or back (depending on the length of the shocks you experiment with). If the cheap-o WalJunk shocks were too craptastic, a more-expensive air-shock could dramatically improve the shock performance, with your budget being the only restriction.

I planned on a 24-inch (or 20-inch wheel with fattie moped tire) on the rear wheel for a future build to make the bike a little shorter overall. I wanted to show that it was possible to do with just a hacksaw and a drill. I put it together while I was renting a bedroom in a 2-bedroom apartment. The bottom pic is the money-shot of Dogmans frame-set. By leaving the top-tube on the rear frame section still attached, it provided a perfect place to hang cargo boxes.

"Full-Suspension Longtail 2.0"
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=19131&p=278822#p278822

spinningmagnets
100 GW
100 GW

Return to E-Bike General Discussion