Aerodynamics thread?

Bob McCree has one... (no tailbox tho). I figger, why not? :mrgreen:

I've been eyeing Cruzbike conversion kit for years! Brilliant engineering! I may be too old to go back to 2 wheels, after 5 years on my trike! Aero idea looks real slick, and covers packages.
otherDoc

Cool little tool you've found there! Thanks for the link. TD - it looks like one would be better off having the tail cowling come to a point rather than being rounded off.

Doesn't really matter, you've got an extra dimension to play with in real life. Just make the fairing come to a knife's edge vertically and it'll be fine.

You could try chucking the top view in the illustrator and see how it looks.

old saying :thers no substittute for cubic inches
new saying:thers no substittute for watts !!!
just kidding watts plus cda = top speed

TylerDurden said:
Testing flow illustrator:

How did you get it to work? I keep getting 0 kb movies sent to me when I try to create one with a standard airfoil that is included in the web page.

jnuts said:
How did you get it to work? I keep getting 0 kb movies sent to me when I try to create one with a standard airfoil that is included in the web page.
I never used the test stuff, just uploaded a bitmap.

Check the controls for how many seconds you want the movie... IIRC, I made mine ~15sec.

It does spit back an AVI, so filesize will be big.

:?

jnuts said:
Yeah I get the same thing with anything I try (settings or object type).

MidniteTweeker said:
Evolution of aerodynamics? :p

MT
Nice try MidniteTweeker, but you left out a stage:

ascentofman3.jpg

PM sent, but others may have the same issue, so I'm posting here...

Hi folks,

Couple of thoughts:

Your ISP or firewall may be blocking the files

The codec is IV50 wich got broken in some versions of WinXP and Vista, you may have to download again and reinstall IV50.

HTH

TD - thanks for the PM. I'm lost as to why it's returning a null sized movie. I sent an email off to the author.

It doesn't matter if you have the mother of all codec packs installed - if the file size is null, zip, zero, zilch, nada.... there is nothing to play. :)

Here is a link to the movie I downloaded from the flow sim:

http://paperstreetltd.com.p2.hostingprod.com/media/video/YourMovie.avi

Please download and verify it plays on your pooters.

Edit:

new link http://www.paperstreetltd.com/media/video/YourMovie.avi

Gah! I can download your movie and play it, but I still get that darn 0kb file thing happening when I try to make my own or download one of their movies.

TylerDurden said:
Here is a link to the movie I downloaded from the flow sim:

http://paperstreetltd.com.p2.hostingprod.com/media/video/YourMovie.avi

Please download and verify it plays on your pooters.

Yep, plays fine here on media player classic.

Works fine on gxine on Debian Linux.

OK, I've had it with the wind slowing me down. My good road routes put me directly into a headwind to start every ride. While it's great for the return trip, it's time to get sleeker. In addition to a small front fairing and a tailbox, I want to do some little things that will hopefully add up.

Tires- These knobby off-road tires have got to go. I don't like them in the curves anyway, and they must be a real aero thief too. Whenever I lift the tire off the ground for a spin test it's like I'm turning on a powerful fan.

Front suspension- I forget the exact relationship, but something I learned in my sailboat design research is that a cylindrical form has the same aero drag as proper foil that is 3-4 times thicker. I want to build some AL or fiberglass sleeves to turn those front shock housings into air foils, along with something similar for any exposed tubular shapes.

John

Thats a good idea, JohninCR! My tubing is square, and I have been thinking about airfoiling it with foam and fiberglas/epoxy. Nice little upside down wing like them Formula 1 cars! Im not sure I go fast enuff to get any real benefit, as most of my rides are under 25 mph!
otherDoc

I am looking at making a tail box this winter. What I would love to do is make a complete seat and tailbox. The seat would be made of thin layers of plywood curved and laminated together, then the entire seat would be covered in carbon fiber or fiberglass.

The tail section would be made of a piano wire structure MIG welded together, then cloth stretched over and epoxied. :)

So many ideas, so little time!

Matt

Back