Touching ass with 100km/h on a bicycle should be disallowed!

.... :shock:

In a race like that, I suppose it is nice of the rear rider to be friendly about it.... :lol:

Descending like that is no joke, I've done lots of it myself. Worst thing ever happened to me was drunks in a pickup running me into the gravel at 50 mph. Great cheap thrills for us, living in the rocky mountains with lots of great mountain roads to bomb down.

In the tdf, I'm sure they never consider using the same tire on two mountain stages in a row. But since they rarely brake, they don't have problems with overheating the rims and blowing out tires.

We learned the same thing, it was actually better to just scream down the mountain than try to use brakes down it. Even in the rain, it was amazing how much grip we had. It's because the bike and rider is so light that you get enough grip on that tiny tread patch. Add all that awkward motor and battery weight to a MTB, and the handling sucks badly compared to a racing bicycle.

Well the guy was not going to touch his brakes. It's a race you know.

Simple bicycle equivelent to bump drafting in nascar. The following guy had a head of steam & didnt want to pass....just gave the leader a friendly push to bleed off his speed & give the leader some of his fortunate speed.

Is it wrong for bike racers to push each other on the ass? :mrgreen:

Its the open mouth kissing at the finish line that disturbs me....but thats my hang up.... :lol: :twisted:

dogman said:
.... But since they rarely brake, they don't have problems with overheating the rims and blowing out tires.
We must be watching different TDF /Giro /Vuelta events !
some of those decents are classic "snake" roads with multiple hairpin bends that demand heavy braking 80km/hr to 20km/hr every 30 secs or so...brakes are critical to be competitive.
...but i have not seen tires blown from overheating. ( which i think is a bit of a myth !)

They don't brake to less than 35 mph I bet! And not at all if at all possible. Brakes more than the next guy means working hard to get back in a peloton.

You can get around corners at amazing speeds on those bikes. We used to routinely beat motorcycles down Emory Pass, which has a profile nearly identical to Alp D Huez. We could actually out corner heavy motorcycles.

I love rippin down my local hills. Riding that edge of just barely holding on to my line. That's what road cycling is about. The tires are fine because the bikes are so lightweight. Hasn't everyone seen the clip of Armstrong going off road on a descent, cutting out the switchback? Tires held up fine.

I'm sure 90% of ordinary riders would brake all the way down that hill. But my comments pertained to the other 10%, a TDF peloton.

The guy with the cam is certainly a great downhill rider, but you can see him having to using the brakes at times on the worst hairpins, often because slower less brave riders get in his way. He's a brave rider, often forced to take the bad line through the corners by the others, but still barely using his brakes at all.

But sure, of course even in the TDF, riders brake on the worst corners. Not braking soon enough is how guys end up laying it down, riding off between the caravans, etc. Some of the best riders have had it happen, as they scream into those corners eyeballing each other to see who will chicken and hit the brakes first. They know every touch of the brakes costs them watts if they have to catch back up with a peloton at the bottom of the next pass.

Back to the subject of light, back when we used to gravity race the Emory Pass, I weighed 115. So bike and rider were under 150 pounds and got great grip on those skinny tires. Not that weight now of course. We all know what another 60 pounds added to a bike at saddle height does to the handling. Road surface matters too. A few years back I revisited Emory Pass, and was astonished how slow the descent was. I was on fat tires, but the real difference was that the road had been chip sealed about a month before. The sharp rough gravel made it ride like a brake on, or a dd hubmotor was slowing you. Back again a year later, the road was back to it's normal zippy character once the gravel packed into the tar. Ten full miles of 8-10% grade so it's very fast again. Now 40 years later, I brake nearly all the corners going down it. :oops: The hairpins cars take at 15 mph I now take at only about 30 mph. Used to do them at 50. Still catch a few motorcycles going down, but not the racing kind.

Back