GCinDC's Giant DH Comp

That is certainly an impressive machine!

Looking forward to you getting that new motor Greg, i was asking Max about one when i bought the 3540, but he didn't have any available for a few months and i desperately wanted rid of my GM replica that makes whirring sounds at 23 mph, which happens to be where i like cruising. Although now i have the 3540 that's no longer the case :mrgreen:

Temps are starting to get down below 30 here in the mornings, i have got my clothing sorted apart from my pants, I'm currently wearing Jeans with thermals underneath but still a little chilly especially on the Fox River trail and its only gonna get colder here. What pants for cold weather do you normally wear?

crezzy2k1 said:
What pants for cold weather do you normally wear?
I really need gloves, and have been meaning to search/start cold weather gear threads...

My normal winter gear for super cold days:

HEAD: balaclava, ski goggles, full face helmet, and occasionally a scarf if the wind is sneaking in a the neck
UPPER: (t shirt, dress shirt (for work), wool sweater, dual-layer winter jacket
LOWER: silk long underwear, trousers, waterproof (and windproof) pants, dress socks, wool socks, shoes, and sometimes booties

but remember my commute is only 10 min! haha, so like that i'll ride in any temp to hit DC.

i've used army surplus gloves, leather with wool liners before, but am thinking i'll pay for good MC gloves, likely heated.

any recommendations??

also, the goggles are essential for face warmth. w/o them, i'd need eye drops, and clear or shaded sunglasses fog up the second i stop and the steam comes off my breath, but not with goggles. since my last goggles melted, i just picked up new ones which included a 'storm' lens, which i think will be really useful for the dark days of winter. but i'll have to change it if sunny, cause you may have noticed i commute into the sun... :?

I like the Pearl Izumi Cyclone for their uncompromising dexterity and moderate windproofness. Not 100% windproof though... can't find any thin gloves that are!

Marmot Precip fullzip pants are great for commuting! Keep you warm, dry, and come off like a stripper. The Precip jacket packs up into it's own pocket and has a nice fittable hood

GCinDC said:
sardini said:
pouring little water inside the motor i do few meters with the controller off(to avoid sort the hall sensors)
my only concern is that the hall legs will corrode and eventually break. i used to seal my halls in jb weld if i'm going to expose the inside of the motor to water, but now think permatex sealant is best - certainly if they need to be replaced again

Your controler also works without halls...i am telling you, the feeling is amazing.

I am going up hill on trails!

GCinDC said:
in consultations re spoke sizes... anyone know if HS3540 hub flange dimensions are the same as the xylyte 4080's?

thanks!

The hub flange on the H4000 motors is wider then the 3540.
Did you finally get the motor?! :D

pretty cool to see you riding from another point of view. Now, if you can get someone to follow you on your morning commute and be able to keep up....Nice count down on the lights!!!

Trackman417 said:
GCinDC said:
in consultations re spoke sizes... anyone know if HS3540 hub flange dimensions are the same as the xylyte 4080's?
The hub flange on the H4000 motors is wider then the 3540.
i should know better than throwing out big words like hub flange.... get our phd students all excited...

cause what does "wider" mean, anyway..?

by damn, the sob arrived!
20131108_163908.jpg

and looked to have had a pleasant journey:
20131108_163948.jpg

of course the damn thing is fatter! but is it wider? (and by that i mean, will the same damn spoke sizes work?) and methinks yes:
20131108_164424.jpg

nice to see it's not offset either, though it'll need some serious dishing for my retarded offset dh comp triangle:
20131108_164512.jpg

and so we roll...

GCinDC said:
Yep, same size spokes. As you've found the gap between the flange is wider but the actual diameter is the same, which is what counts. The symetrical flange is normally a good thing for central lacing but as you said with the fruity offset on the DH comp it'll be a hinderance. Technically you should probably have one side 2-3mm shorter but I suspect you'll be able to get away with your current spokes.

Good to see you've FINALLY moved to a H40 :)
As myself and others who've used both these H40s and H35s will note they run a little cooler and have more torque but I'll be interested to see your more comprehensively monitored stats from the adapto.

dbaker said:
Nice weekend :D
sure was!

and because i was solo, when i was headed home on sunday...
OC_to_DC.png

and saw big scraggly mounds of dirt off the side of the road....
the_lot.png

i just pulled over and popped the bike off the rack to explore! :twisted:
[youtube]s73tvsvFuc8[/youtube]

my silly little jump vids are so sad... the little jumps feels so much bigger... lol. i don't know why i keep doing them, esp when i can just watch vids like these...
[youtube]NTqFmdJxWmI[/youtube]
the far dude caught some sick air at the end. the bike had to bottom out, no? my suspension bottoms out on 3 feet....

my bones are running out of time to ride dirt bikes. hell, i coulda started 10 years ago and had a run. now i'm pretty sure i'd snap my spine. :shock:

oh yeah. i got a package...
20131112_073018.jpg

20131112_073000.jpg

i also got a pair of gloves at a bike shop, Specialized Sub Zero:
20131111_191333.jpg

but these guys are getting returned. i don't know what i was thinking. i need a two finger grip, not a one finger grip. i would totally kill myself with these. nice and warm, inserts alone (which i've been using to forestall the inevitable death)... gosh, morose today, huh?

GCinDC said:
oh yeah. i got a package...
20131112_073018.jpg

20131112_073000.jpg

I was going to ask what kind of rim you where going to get... stupid question :p .
That is going to a ton of weight on your rear end, be ready for your motor/rim combo to have its own gravitational pull. lol :mrgreen:

GCinDC said:
i also got a pair of gloves at a bike shop, Specialized Sub Zero:
but these guys are getting returned. i don't know what i was thinking. i need a two finger grip, not a one finger grip. i would totally kill myself with these. nice and warm, inserts alone (which i've been using to forestall the inevitable death)... gosh, morose today, huh?

Haha, i know what you mean, i have a pair of Planet Bike Borealis ones that look somewhat similar. Its so difficult to control the bike with them on so I've shelved them. Surprisingly they were not good on Tuesday when it was 19F here in the morning (probably 0F with the wind) could really feel the cold, finger numb after 6 miles.

I've heard that snowboarding gloves are the best for temperatures below 25F so i'm on the hunt for those at the moment.

Ahh i see the H4 has arrived, i'm looking forward to see how that goes for you.

i suppose i need to add a new freewheel to my shopping list. something tells me that if i throw on a 7sp w/ 11T freewheel on this 4080, it won't fit between my dropouts (~135mm).

anyone know if a 5 spd freewheel will work? i don't need to go down to bmx single freewheel, do i?

some scenes from yesterday's casual commute:
[youtube]rBEPCrHzYhs[/youtube]

GCinDC said:
i suppose i need to add a new freewheel to my shopping list. something tells me that if i throw on a 7sp w/ 11T freewheel on this 4080, it won't fit between my dropouts (~135mm).

anyone know if a 5 spd freewheel will work? i don't need to go down to bmx single freewheel, do i?

tsek my 4080 i have a 6 speed + 2 washers in a135 mm dropout

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=43038&start=50

GCinDC said:

some scenes from yesterday's casual commute:
[youtube]rBEPCrHzYhs[/youtube]

i did fit a 7son, but m'y torque arms get rid of the offset, I think you won t be able with kiwis ones...the 7 is good @ pedals only, with the internal magnetism, I think Justin CA have it...

while opened, I suggest your to replace bearings for sealed ones, even if your going to drill it for airventing
...I have a PDF drawing on my thread to trace holes and with a compass you can easly move them, it help having them the more center and on the windings....I would suggest to reglue the halls as the epoxy is poor quality, but watch out than there s only like 1 mm left on top of the windings with sdiscovers....h40 serie

pendragon8000 said:
Does it have a NTC 10k thermistor.
not totally sure, but i'd guess it's a 2k thermistor, like the one on ebbikessf's, from here:
ebikessf H40 cruiser page said:
The latest release, the H40 can sustain up to 3500 Watts continuously and is wider and more powerful than the popular H35 series motor.

Top speed in 26" wheel:
29-32mph @ 50V 30-40A
38-41mph @ 72V 30-40A

This motor can be used to regenerate power to the battery and provide motor braking.
This motor is also known for being very quiet.

Features built-in 2K thermal sensor.
NSK bearings. Honeywell S411 hall sensors. Axle is machined for 135mm dropouts but is long enough for 185mm dropouts. Up to 5spd freewheel can fit in 135mm dropouts. A freewheel with a higher sprocket count can be installed with a spacer washer. Standard 6 bolt disk brake mount.
Weight: 17.5 lbs. Color: Black.

interesting to compare to the hs3540 that i'm running now:
The H35 model offers a lot of speed and power for the price and has been our most popular Crystalyte model so far. It can sustain up to 2700 Watts continuously.

Top speed in 26" wheel:
28-31mph @ 50V 30-40A
35-38mph @ 72V 30-37A

This motor can be used to regenerate power to the battery and provide motor braking.
This sturdy motor is also known for being very quiet.

Features built-in 2K thermal sensor.
NSK bearings. Honeywell S411 hall sensors. Axle is machined for 135mm dropouts but is long enough for 175mm dropouts. Up to 7spd freewheel can fit in 135mm dropouts. A freewheel with a higher sprocket count can be installed with a spacer washer. Standard 6 bolt disk brake mount.
Weight: 16.25 lbs. Color: Black.

differences look pretty minor, but i see no reason why that should stop me from spending another $600 or so and a fair amount of time to update and lace it. (also, axel need's a motor for his new dh comp and i hate to be holding him up in getting that running... haha)

good segue to comment:
pendragon8000 said:
Drill Gregg , drill
just one "g" at the end, please, thanks. :wink:

i will drill, but later. we've got salt season coming up. i do have an unvented hs3540 in a 26" with studs for the messy stuff, but i'd like to try it out unvented first, and maybe do some of my highly scientific, deeply flawed, road test comparison, to see:

hs3540 vs h4080, first unvented, then later vented:
- acceleration @ 60A
- top speed
- temp graph

the adaptto miniE that i've got uses (and included two) KTY83-110's. they're uber small, look like mini resistors, so easy to tuck under the windings and wired pretty much the same wiring - GND on one end, white sensor wire on the other.

in other news, i worked a bit late last night and damn, traffic is just a clusterfrack after 5PM. i managed to create a line thru it tho.. :twisted:
[youtube]CmnvV140SVU[/youtube]

Back