Re: Street LEGAL Custom Bomber build! :-)

Great effort Dlogic on the bike and in going for street legal registration. Can't wait to see the on road video's, awesome work :D

Nice work, I wish you luck on getting it street legal!

I hear German cops have a bit of a reputation when it comes to bicycles. I hear they're quite firm on handing out on-the-spot fines for things like not having working lights and god-forbid if you take a short cut on the footpath!

As soon as it's street legal, you will get those videos. Until then nothing will be uploaded so there's no evidence of this bike riding around town. :)

A friend of mine built another "illegal" e-bike. The cops didn't just stop him cold, no, they also confiscated his bike!

To prevent this from happening to me that extra effort and money to get it licenced seems like the best option.

This is the light stuff that´ll get fixed to the bike soon. :)

Currently an adaptor is being machined to fit into the hose of my avid code r brakes. This will hold an hydraulic switch to turn the rear brake light on and off. The underside of that light includes a white LED to illuminate the license plate.

1y0lea.jpg

… and my colleges inspecting the bike on my 40th birthday a few weeks ago. Yes, that´s beer i´m holding in my hand. We drank quit a few that day. :mrgreen:

33c6n3l.jpg

335chgp.jpg

2ikrxvc.jpg

Dlogic said:
As soon as it's street legal, you will get those videos. Until then nothing will be uploaded so there's no evidence of this bike riding around town. :)

A friend of mine built another "illegal" e-bike. The cops didn't just stop him cold, no, they also confiscated his bike!

To prevent this from happening to me that extra effort and money to get it licenced seems like the best option.

If the cops would do this with my bike i would leave Germany for ever! PROMISED

A Hayabusa driver driving 350km/h on a country road with 100 km/h speedlimit. Would only loose his driverlicense for 3 months and pays a little money but can keep his bike! What a contrast! That means he can drive illegaly the next day again LOL maybe than 380 hehe

Hi Jolly, if the hayabusa will have no insurance cause it is not registered/streetlegal it will be confiscated too... done to some friends of mine, riding the mx-bike on a 5km street to mx-track.

But dont lets discuss as always at the pedelec forum ;) dLogic will get his bike streetlegal and everything is fine...

I´m working really hard on getting this bike street legal. Did some testing with the 24 FET controller these days. This plus some modified CA parameters will reduce the power to 2 Kw and prevent the bike from going over 45 km/h. It´s really hard to find the right values so the power drops smoothly when reaching the speed limit.

Another thing is that the stock motorcycle handlebar armature, for controlling the turn signals, horn, lights, etc…, it sits too far away for my fingers to reach the buttons. Just that part will cost me another week of work. Milling a new housing with other dimensions is hard work!

The headlight can be bought here: http://www.kc-engineering.de/kid-54-Scheinwerfer.html

Todays test ride at a max speed of 45 km/h showed one thing very clearly. The last thing to worry about is range. We rode 108 Km and still had a little capacity left for maybe another 10 Km. It´s tempting though to switch to full power und hit 90 km/h! :mrgreen:

Power Update. :mrgreen:

The TÜV allows a maximum of 4 Kw. Yes! I´m working hard on getting the lights installed. They´v finished inspecting the frame, motor, battery, etc… and have approved it all. All Sunday will be spent in the living room drawing the schematics for those lights.

The hydraulic brake switch is another thing that should be finished soon.
With this there´l be no need for an exposed mechanical switch.

Great work D. That is impressive. Can you get by limiting say to 50A on a stock pack? Or would you have to reduce the pack voltage? I really would like to see the first road legal Bomber.

Nice work towards road registering.

Dlogic said:
I´m working really hard on getting this bike street legal. Did some testing with the 24 FET controller these days. This plus some modified CA parameters will reduce the power to 2 Kw and prevent the bike from going over 45 km/h. It´s really hard to find the right values so the power drops smoothly when reaching the speed limit.

A slower motor wind could be another way to achieve a lower top speed with the same battery voltage.

You might also try reprogramming your controller's speed setting with the open source XPD programmer:
Controller settings:https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1o228c4BnMCrW5sicpY1QmT1DVV4KH2ZQiPhDTYJBFjk
Programming software:http://xpd.berlios.de/

She´s almost street legal now. The last thing to bolt on are those lights. The biggest downside are the high costs that E - approved stuff ends up costing. The headlight for example was sold to me for 670 €. :evil:

Just finished the taillight support and license plate holder. :mrgreen:

15xpitc.jpg

670 € for a headlight. :shock: :shock: :shock: How in good conscience can you support thieves who think so little of their fellow man that they would charge such larcenous prices unless they give 75% of revenue to a good charity?

Normally i would´t do so, but the positive side effect is that here in Germany good wages are payed. That in the end makes the final products expensive. But it´s still better then buying an iPhone for example, knowing that they´r assembled by poorly paid workers. An other big plus is the high quality standard. The mentioned headlight is way ahead of the cheap stuff that has a short overall lifespan.
Another thing is that an E approved light goes through a lot of testing procedures before it becomes street legal. Just the EMV test has a price tag of around 4500 - 6000 €. Yep, Germany is crazy when it comes to details but that usually ends up producing some of the best stuff on the planet. At least that´s something good about this country nowadays.
I´ll post some pictures as soon as it´s mounted to the bike. :)
The taillight cost me another 128 €. E approved of course. :)

I congratulate you on having it street legal soon!
Can you tell some more about the way they inspected the frame? Did you have to send it away for a stiffness test?

Work in progress here, lot´s of it. Been busy drawing and machining all sorts of parts these days.

The frame was just checked visually by the TÜV. This bike will be legalized as moped so there´s no need for sophisticated and expensive x ray inspection. Approved yes it is. :mrgreen:

The damn headlight support is driving me crazy. I want to mill it out of single piece to make it light and strong. So far the lights seem to be the biggest downside. They don´t allow any type of bicycle lightning system. The cheap moped stuff uses outdated halogen bulbs that would just draw to much current.

It´s hard to keep in mind all the details. My machine shop is cluttered with parts now and somehow all of them have to be bolted on securely to the bike. Duct tape is not an option here. :evil:

I am so awe and out of words.
You are about my age but I don't have your skills, time nor money (I assume you have $ since a bomber is 10 grand spare cash). I do drink beers like you though :p

Great stuff you got here and very promising start up. Thank you for sharing.

Spent the entire Sunday working on the electric part of the bike.

The controller can now be speed limited via the flick of a switch. A DC-DC converter was installed for the head-taillights, blinkers and the brakes.

2644dhl.jpg

The battery and controller sit in front of the bike to do all that testing.

Yes, got the electric harness all set up. Loads of wires going everywhere. :)

1.Headlights ( High and Low beam at the flick of a switch. )
2. Brake lights ( Activated via hydraulic switch. )
3. Speed limit ( Yup another switch mounted onto the handlebar control box. )
4. Regen ( Yes, finally!! )
5. DC-DC converter ( on/off at the flick of a switch. )
6. Ignition ( The most important switch. )
7. Turn signals ( Mounted into the handlebars. ) Motogadget street legal and super bright

Every part is plug able for easy access. :mrgreen:

qovzts.jpg

Headlight update!

The mounting structure is finished. CNC machined support plus a stainless steel lamp clamp drilled, bent and polished to perfection. :)

2qst2zl.jpg

x1c4qv.jpg

Very bright and still street legal head light.

Back