Stromer Elite Review

KjdNyc

1 mW
I recently purchased a Stromer Elite and even after test driving a platinum version I was more impressed with the Elite not to mention the Platinum was a thousand dollars more only to go four miles an hour faster?! I am 6 foot 4 225 pounds and ride in New York City and this bike is amazing my last bike which I thought was a good bike was a RMartin R10 and lasted 4 years till I had electrical problems and a motor failure if that bike was a Ford then this bike is a Cadillac! Very smooth power, excellent breaking capability, well made very sturdy excellent weight ratio displacement, 27 speed, hydraulic regenerative disc brakes, I basically got all the features of the platinum for $1000 less that goes 4mph slower and has a 11.5ah battery instead of 14ah battery. I highly recommend this bike to anyone that wants an excellent well made Ebike. So far so good after 100 miles, will update this review at 500 miles.

Yet another shill....

rp3 said:
Yet another shill....

Why say that? That shows your age (young) and lack of knowledge about that bike.

I Had a $1500 Mongoose with a Bionx kit, an 850R Optibike, Now I ride 2 bikes a 2011 Stealth Bomber #40 and a Stromer ST1 a platinum . And let me tell you The a platinum is one fine bike as he said. I can cruise for 60 miles on the larger battery and hit 31 if I push it.

For the money I have to say nothing out there comes close.

i did rent a stromer when i was in SF this autumn. what a great bike. surely one of the finest production bikes you can have if you look for reliability, good components and more then street legal performance. i can highly recommend them - especially if you swap the cheap fork for a good one (i don't know if the elite already got a decent one installed, i rented a "regular" stromer")

Paul_G said:
rp3 said:
Yet another shill....

Why say that? That shows your age (young) and lack of knowledge about that bike.
lol! I'm probably older than you young fella. ;) I'm not picking on the bike, only the fact that the user is clearly another shill account. A legit user doesn't join up and start posting glowing reviews about something. :D

I don't know if he is a shill or not. I don't believe you KNOW he is a shill either, why express it as a guaranteed fact??? that is rude! I have been called a shill recently because i didn't follow someone's opinion on posting either but i am not. I have had 4 Stromers, 6 if you included extended loaners (months) lol.

I currently have 2 Platinums. I received the option to finally replace my original units w/new Elites strait up! I had nothing but issues for years. Recently my wife's bike was in a shop for over 3 months ( she was down for medical reasons during this time). The shop was lost its franchise and most experienced Stromer tech 2 months into the repair (too long anyway!). They had to put the bike together enough to take it to the new shop in the area, Cycle Life in Washington DC. The techs there convinced them to replace rather then repair which had been promised before and we upped to the Platinum model out of pocket, if for no other reason to get the front suspension. Totally awesome experience w/Cycle Life.I have at least 250 miles on each them. My rear brake went out and has been fixed, leaked brake fluid and lost pressure.

I had already started to make arrangement w/the Falco Motors and Catalist82 and his battery filled frame on this board for a new bike when the opportunity to replace both Stromers for less than I was going to spend on 1 bike. It may have been faster and/or just better but it would only be one bike and that would have not taken care of the situation completely. I have added the city kit to mine while the brake was being repaired and hers is ready for install when we get a chance.

All that being said the OP information is not correct which does go the shill point. The ST1 Elite is 9 speed, the original Elite is 27 and the ST1 Platinum is 27 speed. the price difference is 600 not 1000 so if he really owns a unit something is not right. Also, i will add his post tone does sound shill but everything else about his post sounds about right based on my Platinums, haven't ridden an Elite yet.

sorry for long winded response

Mark

Actually I had an account here when I bought my RMartin R10 4 years ago but forgot my username and password so I started a new account. And I've been called many things in life but never a schill. LOL Sounds like sour grapes from a guy who can't afford a Stromer because if you were happy with your bike and life in general you wouldn't waste your time commenting negatively about other peoples positive reality.

opimax said:
I don't know if he is a shill or not. I don't believe you KNOW he is a shill either, why express it as a guaranteed fact??? that is rude! I have been called a shill recently because i didn't follow someone's opinion on posting either but i am not. I have had 4 Stromers, 6 if you included extended loaners (months) lol.

I currently have 2 Platinums. I received the option to finally replace my original units w/new Elites strait up! I had nothing but issues for years. Recently my wife's bike was in a shop for over 3 months ( she was down for medical reasons during this time). The shop was lost its franchise and most experienced Stromer tech 2 months into the repair (too long anyway!). They had to put the bike together enough to take it to the new shop in the area, Cycle Life in Washington DC. The techs there convinced them to replace rather then repair which had been promised before and we upped to the Platinum model out of pocket, if for no other reason to get the front suspension. Totally awesome experience w/Cycle Life.I have at least 250 miles on each them. My rear brake went out and has been fixed, leaked brake fluid and lost pressure.

I had already started to make arrangement w/the Falco Motors and Catalist82 and his battery filled frame on this board for a new bike when the opportunity to replace both Stromers for less than I was going to spend on 1 bike. It may have been faster and/or just better but it would only be one bike and that would have not taken care of the situation completely. I have added the city kit to mine while the brake was being repaired and hers is ready for install when we get a chance.

All that being said the OP information is not correct which does go the shill point. The ST1 Elite is 9 speed, the original Elite is 27 and the ST1 Platinum is 27 speed. the price difference is 600 not 1000 so if he really owns a unit something is not right. Also, i will add his post tone does sound shill but everything else about his post sounds about right based on my Platinums, haven't ridden an Elite yet.

sorry for long winded response

Mark
Hey Mark actually I bought a 2012 Elite with 27 speed, throttle which I wanted since the 2013 no longer comes stock with it. I also got the front shock option which is easily adjustable.

Assuming the picture is real(j/k!) , then every thing is correct! It is not an ST1 but the earlier Elite. I miss my throttle at the end of the ride when I went further than my legs wanted to go, usually the last 1-2 miles

Mark

opimax said:
Assuming the picture is real(j/k!) , then every thing is correct! It is not an ST1 but the earlier Elite. I miss my throttle at the end of the ride when I went further than my legs wanted to go, usually the last 1-2 miles

Mark

It seems like you could tap into the torque sensor in the right side of the frame and add a switch or throttle to it.

Some one with more knowledge needs to try that but I bet it can be done EZ.

I am hoping it is a software config in the system somewhere. i would also like a cruise control too on occasion. I do have those on my generic Ebay bike , more utilitarian bike . I am leaving mine stock until warranty ends as far as anything that cant be switched back very easily..

Mark

The throttle option was the main reason why I got for the 2012 version they had in stock but I have to be totally honest the peddle assist is so amazing and you can control the level of how much power actually goes into it that I rarely use the throttle control but it's nice to have it as an option. I have been riding bikes my whole life and this bike is a phenomenally well balanced well manufactured piece of equipment. I got it at an excellent price because I paid cash here in New York City cash is king and they wanted a thousand dollars more for the platinum version but I didn't like the stiff front fork it came with and found the power to not have as much torque as the elite and the top speed was 28.5 mph compared to my Elite at 24.5. Here in NYC you want off the line get out of the way of cabs quickly! Wasn't so sure about the Maxxis overdrive Excel tires at first but now I'm liking them. What I am really impressed with is how smoothly the gears shift! Braking is amazing and needed in NYC traffic.

opimax said:
I am hoping it is a software config in the system somewhere. i would also like a cruise control too on occasion. I do have those on my generic Ebay bike , more utilitarian bike . I am leaving mine stock until warranty ends as far as anything that cant be switched back very easily..

Mark

I heard that they have an aftermarket throttle kit for the STI platinum, have you use the instant start feature that allows the bike to automatically get up to 20 miles per hour through the programming on the control unit?

I had heard they were going to put a throttle to 20mph on the Plat model and leaving the throttle on the Elite...i had heard wrong i guess. they have the boost mode to 12.5 I haven't tried yet

over 500 miles now. the rear brake broke, they replaced the whole unit, it works now. I wanted/needed a rack to hold the bags to hold additional batteries. I went w/the Stromer city kit which includes fenders and lights which run off the internal battery. I wish I could have bought just a good rack w/o the add'l items I didn't really want for 10 times what i paid for the kit. The rack seems to be sturdy and the whole kit fits as it should 1 reason i did go for it. the lights are not as bright as the after market ones i already own. They are always available and I dont have to remember to charge them. that being said I have forgotten to charge them yet and I want every bit of energy going to the pedals so i only use them when on a road. i live on trails as much as possible. I did take advantage of the fenders on the way home as it drizzled last night and saved some spray from getting on me.

I wish the bike had more torque, i slow down more than i want on hills and have hard time keeping past 25-26 mph except on slight or more downhill. it is certainly better than the original. i also wish my bike was the faster, of the 2 we own my wife's seems 2mph faster on avg. I would guess her bike is at one end of the acceptable end of the motors and mine is at the other, nothing wrong just the tolerances ???

All said and done wish i was riding right now :twisted:

Mark

Loving my Stromer! Over 200 miles on it and no problems, everywhere I go people ask questions and admire it. I get from my apt in Brooklyn to clients in lower Manhattan in less than 20 min on city mode which is approximately a 6 mile trip. Subway takes at least 35 min. Driving can be longer with traffic and costs money for gas, parking ect ect. I'm 6'4" 225 and its rides like a dream, smooth power and to be quite honest pedal assist is so good I rarely use throttle mode. Already saved over 150 in subway fare and well over $200 in was and parking with vehicle not to mention all of the cute girls I've met riding along the way!

Hey! Does anyone have an opinion of the 2012 Stromer? Seems like there were a lot of warranty issues with the Motor/controller... Any other nuisance areas to be aware of? Thinking about buy a used one with a new motor.

Well I went ahead and bought a brand new 2012 Stromer Elite for $1600... Really enjoying the Pedal Assist Mode.. The brakes are not good but a better set of pads should make the difference.

The battery was completely dead when I bought it, and after charging for 12 hours at a time for 2 days, it won't show past 52% on the indicator.. Don't know if it's an interface problem with the battery, or if the battery is actually degraded and that's all she's capable of know.

Went 21 miles today in Pedal Assist Touring mode at an average speed of 17 mph, and the battery indication dropped from 52% to 48%... Think I need some advice on how to troubleshoot this problem..

Anyone have a reliable contact phone number or email for Stromer or BMC, Stromer's new owner? tia

joepah said:
Well I went ahead and bought a brand new 2012 Stromer Elite for $1600... Really enjoying the Pedal Assist Mode.. The brakes are not good but a better set of pads should make the difference.

The battery was completely dead when I bought it, and after charging for 12 hours at a time for 2 days, it won't show past 52% on the indicator.. Don't know if it's an interface problem with the battery, or if the battery is actually degraded and that's all she's capable of know.

Went 21 miles today in Pedal Assist Touring mode at an average speed of 17 mph, and the battery indication dropped from 52% to 48%... Think I need some advice on how to troubleshoot this problem..

Anyone have a reliable contact phone number or email for Stromer or BMC, Stromer's new owner? tia

Try charging the battery outside of the bike. The bike comes with the adapter as its clear the battery is charging but not showing on the indicator if it dropped 4% after 17 miles. I had the same problem with my 2013 and that fixed it after a few charges. After 600 miles the battery now charges to only one line full but after 10 miles it drops one notch to a full reading so the battery seems to hold more now. They say it will go 60 miles on ECO mode and I have gone 47 miles with 37% charge left so IMO it may do better than the claim as I was using POWER mode on hills.

Maybe they changed the brakes on the 2013 as that are better than my Bomber and could flip you over the bars very EZ.

Paul_G said:
joepah said:
Try charging the battery outside of the bike. The bike comes with the adapter as its clear the battery is charging but not showing on the indicator if it dropped 4% after 17 miles. I had the same problem with my 2013 and that fixed it after a few charges. After 600 miles the battery now charges to only one line full but after 10 miles it drops one notch to a full reading so the battery seems to hold more now. They say it will go 60 miles on ECO mode and I have gone 47 miles with 37% charge left so IMO it may do better than the claim as I was using POWER mode on hills.

Maybe they changed the brakes on the 2013 as that are better than my Bomber and could flip you over the bars very EZ.

Thanks Paul.. I called the US distributor in Boston looking for the adaptor cable since mine didn't come with one....... He never heard of your solution before, but said I should have received an adapter cable and sent me one.. Received it and am charging it externally..

How many cycles should I charge externally before giving up on that?

Thanks again,

Joe.

joepah said:
Paul_G said:
joepah said:

Thanks Paul.. I called the US distributor in Boston looking for the adaptor cable since mine didn't come with one....... He never heard of your solution before, but said I should have received an adapter cable and sent me one.. Received it and am charging it externally..

How many cycles should I charge externally before giving up on that?

Thanks again,

Joe.

once in then out for 2-3 times and my battery now charges up to one line like its empty but after 10 miles it drops to a full charge so it seems to hold way more than the advertised numbers of miles it can go.

Paul_G" once in then out for 2-3 times and my battery now charges up to one line like its empty but after 10 miles it drops to a full charge so it seems to hold way more than the advertised numbers of miles it can go.[/quote said:
Well I tried your bit Paul but it didn't work.. So I took it back to the bike shop and stuck my fully charged battery in one of the store bikes.. State of Charge was the same 52%.. Left the bike with them :) don't think this bike is coming back anytime soon...lol Time for my next project!

Well the LBS swapped in a new battery (well new to me.. still a 2012 production build), and that battery charges to 100% SOC and ran it all the way down to 8%.. Went 26 miles in PAS City Mode at 21 mph on FLAT terrain.. Don't know if that's good or not....A whole lot more efficient than my A2B Metro.

Back