Electric dirt scooter

I was thinking of building something like this with a skyver, but after seeing some videos of people riding electric ones I think not having a seat would really limit the kind of trials riding I like to do.

The Bay in Toronto was selling an electric kick scoot called the Zumaround last year: http://www.zumaround.com/

I contacted the Zumaround folks who said that this doesn't fall under e-bike laws and was therefore legal to use on the street in Ontario. I contacted the Ontario ministry of transport and was told that these specific zumaround kick scoots would be illegal to use on the road (not that I would want to :))

bee said:
I was thinking of building something like this with a skyver, but after seeing some videos of people riding electric ones I think not having a seat would really limit the kind of trials riding I like to do. )

i thought people dont sit in trials?
there's some trial bicycles that have no seats at all.

anyways here's one with seat. (awkward looking)

and search ecocycle on here, i like that one.

Judging by "don't touch" sign in German, this seat is probably a bow to the German law, which permits only seated EVs to be used on the roads (was discussed here in the Law tread some time ago).

sk8norcal said:
bee said:
I was thinking of building something like this with a skyver, but after seeing some videos of people riding electric ones I think not having a seat would really limit the kind of trials riding I like to do. )

i thought people dont sit in trials?
there's some trial bicycles that have no seats at all.
I think I'm just confused by all the videos of people riding these things standing upright, stiff as boards. I want to see some skyvers with the foot pegs raised higher, climbing some rocks and getting some air, I'm having a hard time picturing myself having fun on these because of boring videos :p

edit: also the weight of that hub in the back, that kid in the first video is not enjoying the handling of that scooter at all, he can't land that hub motor very hard without a rear suspension. I think a skyver mid-drive would still be fun to do, putting a lighter motor closer to the center of the bike would make these things much more fun to play with.

he can't land that hub motor very hard without a rear suspension
it does have rear susp.

if u want to climb rocks and catch air,
get a bike (superior to a scooter platform)
(i mentioned that ecocycle earlier)

so why bother with a scooter?
some like the ergonomics of standing for general cruising...

here's a guy ripping on a scooter
http://mpora.com/videos/H7CPHVl4Q

i actually like scooters a lot.
and i am just in the progress of making an offroad one .

the Chassis is the FSP / ASP scooter :
20FSP_complet_web.jpg

in order to still keep it light i am going to use just 4 LIPo's getting 9AH/20s and a Mac motor in the rear wheel.
that should keep overall weight in the 40 pounds (20kg) region.

since its a full suspension scooter i presume it will be easier to take it to rocky trails.

Back