ES Investors Club

friendly1uk said:
I think of the industrial revolution as the big game changer. Nothing significant has happened since has it?

Call me crazy (other folks do, or try to), but in personal transportation at least, I figure giving up the horse was sort of a "game changer"?
Electric traction sorta chugged along for two/three wheeled vehicles on "good, OLD" PBA, then Master M.Stanley Whittingham kicked things into a whole new level (?) with lithium (another "game changer"?). One objective of this "ES Investor Club" and any investments it makes (and hopefully profits from) would be to decimate the north American car manufacturing and supporting industries, yes? (And have fun/make money in the process?)

PS. I believe we have the Italians to thank for the term "decimate", where if a Roman legion messed up real good, then one in ten soldiers "had to go" (literally). With regards to the NA gas and diseasal automotive/truck mfgrs/industry, I would hope we are shooting for closer to 100%.

BTW, I just checked on the TERA web site, here:
http://www.meetup.com/Electric-Bicycles/messages/boards/thread/40581432/0#113854012

jim loucks Posted 12/27/13
Want to renew my 2014 annual membership to TERA, i use Canada Post so, i need a mailing address / name for the treasurer. message from the Mississauga Chapter , member # 24 ( Jim )

Philip Cass Posted 12/27/13
You can send it to Me @
Philip Cass
265 Main street
Apt. 1103
Toronto Ont.
M4C 4X3
647-763-9050
Director of Membership for T.E.R.A.

Thanks
for those of you who want to pay your memberships you can use the above address for me or send via e-mail to: phil-cass@hotmail.com
if you require a membership card, please add $2 for the card to be sent back to you.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

AFAIK, all welcome (not only folks in the Greater Toronto Area/Ontario)
L

I think your problem will be finding affordable stocks in the "new" battery design field. Now that Musk has proven that electric vehicles can operate well using low tech, "laptop" batteries, he will be the new leader in developing the "Newest" technology. Any new IPO offers, are first channeled through brokerages, then, the rest of the world jumps in, while the MONEY people sell off at a good profit, and start watching for the next "New" thing to come along.

Solar city for example, took a big jump in shares, once word got out that Musk was buying into the company. The big money will keep getting the gold mines, while the little guy gets the shaft.

After my 100G pension went extinct, overnight, I was told I was too small a fish to even think about recovering anything, once the BIG fish got compensated.

It's pretty much a rigged game, unless you stay at the computer doing research and day trading. I once did that and that's where I got the funds to buy into a"SAFE" deal. Then,in 1 night, that disappeared.

Charge ahead, though, and I will sit back and watch, being too broke to try again.

Hey Big H! In my "experiment" in living waaay below the poverty line (see Ontario Disability Support "Plan", and their miserable monthly payments), come Feb 1, I will hand our Admiral (TERA Prez) $50, as payment for two "shares" in the (watt I like to call the "Carbeerian Krew") Scarborough Chapter of the Toronto Electric Riders Assoc. One for me, and one for you SIR. Good on ya mate.
L

Hey Lock
I still believe Musk will use new development info to produce his own batteries. He is big on Tesla cars as home power supplies. Next, watch him fight these Power Cos with their refusal to pay solar panel owners for their output into the grid, being part owner of Solar City.

I really believe the age of cutting off the grid, is just around the corner. Musk has the magic tongue that gets him funding. I view him as the Warren Buffett of the Stock Market players.

A123 has a massive trailer loads of batteries keeping NYC from blowing substations when the people come to life in the AM, every day.

Alright Big H. Will write/email Mr.Musk. See if he maybe wants to help promo the use of electric vehicles (grin).
L

Just posted here:
http://elonmusk.com/#comment-759
Lock Hughes says:
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

December 31, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Dear Sir
I was talking (writing on the online forum “Endless Sphere”, about electric traction) and your name just came up.

My question was, would you maybe be interested in “chipping in”, to buy one share as a Member of the Toronto Electric Riders Association Scarborough Chapter? Plans currently are to fix up an old detached wooden garage, to be used for recharging electric bikes/trikes, offer instruction on converting “old style” pedal-only bikes/trikes, maintenance, etc. Currently an annual membership in TERA costs $25 Cdn. It would mean a lot (I suspect) to this project if Mr.Musk were to “sign up”. My guess is, you are a big booster of electric traction (see Tesla Motors). :)

Regards, and best wishes for EVery success in the future to you and yours.
Laughlin (“Lock”) Hughes
Toronto

...so, we shall see.
L

Lithium projects company Orocobre, share price nearly doubled in 6 months:
http://www.asx.com.au/asx/research/companyInfo.do?by=asxCode&asxCode=ORE

"Toyota Tsusho Corporation (“TTC”) is the company’s strategic partner for the Olaroz Lithium Project, and has provided the capital required to build the operation through a combination of its purchase of 25% of the project equity and through the provision of project debt financing guaranteed by TTC during the construction phase and guaranteed by a Japanese government organization (JOGMEC) post operational commissioning. This strategic partnership has made it possible to finance the project on a highly favorable basis, and to be able to effectively market subsequent battery grade lithium production into Japanese and Asian markets."

"Orocobre is dual listed on the Australian Securities Exchange ("ASX") under the symbol "ORE" and on the Toronto Stock Exchange (“TSX”) under the symbol "ORL".

from http://www.orocobre.com.au/About_Us.htm

Yum. Seen here:
http://tmx.quotemedia.com/article.php?newsid=63966363&qm_symbol=ORL

Orocobre Limited (ORL)
Exchange: Toronto Stock Exchange
$ 2.35

Dec 31, 2013, 4:14 PM EST
Change: 0.03 (1.29%)
Volume: 2,900

Day Low 2.35
Day High 2.36
52 Week Low 1.12
52 Week High 2.50

Doctor Hughes recommends a buy. Will follow, report progress. ;)
L

LockH said:
Ummm KF? How exactly does that tie back to electric traction please? ...
Does your suggestion have anything at all to do with electric traction? Just curious...

L

Has nothing to do with electric traction, although one might argue in favor of Huskies on the Iditarod. It has more to do with the validity of floating wishful balloons when prospecting for volatile EV stocks. I too am interested naturally in this field, although methinks to do it proper – a bit of legwork is required rather than a lengthy flourish of the pen (or keyboard in this case). :)

It is with trepidation that I approach stocks and bonds in general as being not my field of study. I am more in tune with taking a risk at producing product where my engineering skills and experience can be better applied. In that furrow I have at the minimum, monetarily-speaking broken even. On the flip-side, these independent experiences have advanced my career in leaps and spurts.

I can definitely equate significant career advancement after building my first and third electric bikes. They were not for sale; it was simply a demonstration prowess. Case in point: My present 2WD is now 3 years old (born on 1/1/2011) and there isn’t another like it on the market. I didn’t make it all solo; no – I had help and encouragement from lots of clever folks here. :wink:

To that end I must tip my hat to the compendium of knowledge logged as folio en masse by fellow members; people I consider kindred and friendly. We are a membership, a tribe of electric travelers and wandering spirits in want to be free of the shackles of carbon and petrol, pining to live in a soot-free realm, with batteries renewed each morning by a fresh charge - and preferably free if possible! 8)

The ideal world is worth aspiring for; a part of me still believes and keeps me optimistic. The reality tells me to apply practical sense: Think of what skills you have and how best to utilize them so you move forward. I am as guilty as anyone else when looking at a stack of dishes and wishing it could magically go away, though once I roll up the sleeves and dig in – the work is satisfying because I am applying myself positively.

The larger lesson is ‘Don’t ask for the easy handout when a bit of diligence on your part is due’. That goes hand in hand with ‘You get what you pay for’ or ‘What you reap is what you sow’.

The New Year is coming! I wish you all the best, KF
EDIT: Typo

Ah kfC ("C" for Capitano), gotta agree with you totally! My thought here is to spread the risk (sorta a investor truism?), and I also like to sit at the feet of the ebike gods (here on ES - and elsewhere, if there were such an alternative universe), plus I hope to learn by my mistakes, and only hope to enlist tons of "oversight". And expect to "journal" my efforts here that others might learn from my (our?) experiences. Dunno watt I have written about my own life/experiences here on Planet Spheroid, but nutshell, before wasting my life as an accountant (CGA. Certified Good Accountant - or general, something like that, and with apologies to primitive bean counters EVerywhere), I gained a Cert in Marketing from Ryerson (Polytech Inst., shortly before Ryerson took the leap to University status), and before that I first went to U (St.Marys, in Halifax) to become an Electrical Engineer. Didn't do so well at that, but had played with electrical things as a kid. Took "advanced" (1st year U) physics and chemistry in last year of high school. Recently, two diff folks at a hospital tested my "mental capacity" (aka "brain power") and they told me (separately and privately) by their tests I should be "more intelligent" than 95% of their other patients. Whether true or not, I know at least not to trust myself (grin). Myself, I don't care how "smart" others are, only whether they are good at watt they do. I have good friends that have won world championships as wooden duck decoy carver, another that has painted my arms many times as temp "tattoos" so I could go "raving" (kinda got a soft spot for artists AND musicians, eg recently having watched Mick the the boys/grrrls - the Stones- from a box at the Air Canada Center, in Toronto, having already watched Mick et al at the El Mocambo, watt used to be a fun bar in Toronto. Also went to see Alice Cooper at the Varsity Stadium, also in Toronto). Never cared anything much about money, doing the Christian thingee (better to give than to receive), but funnily enough, watt tends to go around, comes around. I EVen started out as an "employee", but broke free from that, to be self-employed as an accountant, preferring to work with the best (eg one of the worlds best shirt makers, who would sell half of the shirts he/his crew/staff made in Toronto to folks in Cali and "Lost Wages" (sp?) for $500 a pop, that would "tip" me w/my own "bespoke" shirts). Currently I find myself having to reinvent myself (again), this time no longer trusting myself as an accountant, so falling back to marketing, and trying to sell watt I already know and love, the electric bicycle. But how does a military orificer get the job done? As a "middle manager" employed type with a small staff of my own, I had my own "crew", who I explained to that a good "manager" otta be able to die at their desk, unnoticed by their staff for a week. When I finally left that "job", I had two ladies (grrrls) crying on my shoulders (one on each) at the prospect of them losing "their" boss.

So that's the nutshell.

Sadly, I am still not interested in making money (although having money for food is sorta handy. Clothing and shelter, waaay further down on my list), but I AM interested in leaving our little ball of dirt a better place than when I "got here". I am from a long line of senior military officers, and my name (and most recently investigations in genetics) might imply a warrior class from Scandinavia. The Vikings? Maybe you have heard of them? Hehe... So I know a little bit about my own family history at least back to the Battle of Waterloo (1815, where "I" had Scots fighting on both sides, Bonapartists against the world).

And personally, I am fed up with the deaths and destruction caused by the 20th-century gasoline/diseasal horseless carriage. Something that I believe has to DIE, DIE, DIE.

And my choice of weapon is the electric bicycle. (Folks get upset when they catch me peeing on their car tires. Hehe... just kidding!)

Anyway. So I have the name and genetics that imply I might be a warrior. I am from a long line of military officers (my own bro, an officer in the Canadian Navy his whole career, our father ended up as the Rear Admiral on Canada's Wet Coast (hehe... in Esquimalt/Victoria, BC). Some in my family at least believed that the pen is mightier than the sword. So now I find myself having to convert watt I have been writing about for maybe 10 years approx. into a "vocation" (something more than just a passion).

I wish I COULD promise EVerybuddy their money back. I already own too many garments with too many pockets, NONE of them deep enough, apparently.

Well, guess I could rant on and on. But I have already littered ES with history stuff, etc.

Gotta go now. Still hoping to ketchup with our Toronto Mayor at his New Years Levee later today.

Cya
L

Here ya go, Lock Several mentions of not nearly enough Batteries available.

LINK More than 1 article in this link.

Spent the last week doing Due Diligence on this company....a very compelling story. My take on it is with the advancements of Tesla's BMS and Toyota's Prius changing their battery chemistry to match Teslas. This mining company in Argentina could become very profitable

competitions said:

"Toyota Tsusho Corporation (“TTC”) is the company’s strategic partner for the Olaroz Lithium Project, and has provided the capital required to build the operation through a combination of its purchase of 25% of the project equity and through the provision of project debt financing guaranteed by TTC during the construction phase and guaranteed by a Japanese government organization (JOGMEC) post operational commissioning. This strategic partnership has made it possible to finance the project on a highly favorable basis, and to be able to effectively market subsequent battery grade lithium production into Japanese and Asian markets."

"Orocobre is dual listed on the Australian Securities Exchange ("ASX") under the symbol "ORE" and on the Toronto Stock Exchange (“TSX”) under the symbol "ORL".

from http://www.orocobre.com.au/About_Us.htm

I took a position yesterday...in America the OTC(Pink Sheets) symbol is orocf. I discussed the trade with my broker today and he remains cautious,(keep in mind his company limits him from trading OTC stocks). I let him buy me into refinery MLP's and a year from now I will post on our gains or losses and then we will see who had the better mouse trap.

Hey R! (any palm trees left by the beach anymore?) Typical me, spending all my time *promoting* (the electramaterrific bicycle) not *investing* in the darned thing (so, could a rocket be an honourary ebike, or something?). Anywhooo... It'll be interesting to see how high their balloon flies (and when you jump out). Success to you!
L
(PS. Take yer parachute... and yer ebike.)

Take a look at Altair Nanotechnologies ticker: ALTI?
This company definitely looks like a long term stock and does similar services that A123 once provided.
What do you guys think?

competitions said:

While having some bigger companies funding the development of the project looks good it does seem that a lot of these mining investment stories end up as bad investments once they start production and ship the product, no one seems to want to buy the mined product for what was originally forecast.
When I put ORE stock code in google I see GXY next to it. http://www.google.com/finance?q=ASX%3AORE&ei=2Q3ZUrilJceQkAWkaw
I remember looking at GXY which is a lithium miner a while back and the price really went up right at the point of production but then fell.
And Lynas was the same http://www.google.com/finance?q=ASX%3ALYC&ei=Dg7ZUpC-L8e7kgXbvQE
Once Lynas started shipping their rare earth minerals the stock price dropped I remember seeing a stock market guy on a business TV show saying they just booked their first check for like $30k, short story no one seems to actually want to buy the stuff for any kind of price premium.
The stock prices seem to rise greatly in the excitement of big money coming but once they start production it seems to end up a sorry story.

I think EV companies like Tesla are cool but its a very difficult business to make good money in I reckon because the combustion engine is so cheap comparatively.

Trackman417 said:
Take a look at Altair Nanotechnologies ticker: ALTI?
This company definitely looks like a long term stock and does similar services that A123 once provided.
What do you guys think?
Ohhh... Too busy promo'ing the electrmaterrific thingee, but on "The Street" website, the recent article "5 Stocks Under $10 Set to Soar", here:
http://www.thestreet.com/story/12243384/2/5-stocks-under-10-set-to-soar.html

:)
L

TheBeastie said:
competitions said:

While having some bigger companies funding the development of the project looks good it does seem that a lot of these mining investment stories end up as bad investments once they start production and ship the product, no one seems to want to buy the mined product for what was originally forecast.
When I put ORE stock code in google I see GXY next to it. http://www.google.com/finance?q=ASX%3AORE&ei=2Q3ZUrilJceQkAWkaw
I remember looking at GXY which is a lithium miner a while back and the price really went up right at the point of production but then fell.
And Lynas was the same http://www.google.com/finance?q=ASX%3ALYC&ei=Dg7ZUpC-L8e7kgXbvQE
Once Lynas started shipping their rare earth minerals the stock price dropped I remember seeing a stock market guy on a business TV show saying they just booked their first check for like $30k, short story no one seems to actually want to buy the stuff for any kind of price premium.
The stock prices seem to rise greatly in the excitement of big money coming but once they start production it seems to end up a sorry story.

I think EV companies like Tesla are cool but its a very difficult business to make good money in I reckon because the combustion engine is so cheap comparatively.

Great Advise...

"Buy on Rumor...Sell on News". I 'll cross my fingers and not get greedy.

PS Lock....The palm trees are still on the beach, problem is they won't let you park to enjoy them. Bit chilly down here, at least it's sunny and calm. Weather is perfect. I've worn my jeans three days in a row 8)

Watt??? I (and a guest or two, if the ladies are real friendly) can't park our butts in my big, comfy hammock hung from two palm trees??? Dang. Maybe I'll cast off. My mums bro had a nice house further south in Marathon, FLA. (Actually owned two properties, adjacent to each other.) Jack the Pirate now cavorts with ghosts I'm sure. Kinda wonder if that flamingo bird still "rules the roost" on that property next door (used to walk around with him on "his" property).

Anyway... Back OT... Not sure I will EVer be an investor (aka "gambler" see "educated guesser"), but I would look at the management team. See that some senior folks at least have a successful "track record" (in any sort of business, though related in some way would be a bonus). Ideally, how many of their staff were crying on their shoulders when they left their last "position" (myself, I had two younger ladies on my staff crying, one on each of my shoulders at the same time, at the prospect of them losing "their boss" - unfortunate name for a manager. )

Oh oh... Somebuddy here mentioned "ALTI", didn't they... Well, maybe they're a low flyer or something...
ALTI.jpg

Himax is not ev related but it has boosted my acct value. :D :D :mrgreen:
That is what investing should be about.
himx is a hot stock that may well continue to head up but not straight up.
Quarterly earnings will be out in a week or so.
In the recent past some pissants take that opportunity to try to badmouth this co.
That may drop the price some for a little while but eventually that passes and it has resumed going up.
To me this co has a set of keys to the next step in miniturazation and it is happening now.
It might be something big.

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000239075&__source=yahoo%7cheadline%7cquote%7cvideo%7c&par=yahoo

Be careful with feel good investing in line with a hobby interest.
Yes I played with a U S battery co and did lose half on that one. Phooey.

Ummm... According to ES Investor Club logic (maybe) it is transportation (on wheels helped by a motor using energy stored in a small chemical battery) that may have a bright future, long-term potential (for sold-in-North America, at least.)
Yes?
L

Investors Wanted! Throw yer money (Plus the odd "Monet"/French painting.) away on a chain of ebiker flop and party houses, etc. for ebikers plus wannabes and newbs (see the "Ebiker Joke thread...", here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53107&start=200#p849521

Guaranteed return on investment (yeah, right - at outrageous rates - yeah, right.) based on silly but long thought out/talked about idea. Email writer via Spheroid Alt. Planet electronic (but apparently "private" - yeah, right) "mail".

Ooops! "SHMDF" (Shimano) mentioned in the first msg in this thread...

And recently:
Feb 5, 2014
Full Year 2013 Shimano Inc Earnings Release

... and shares currently trading "only" at maybe $82.12 (vs about $87.27US per share back on Dec.28)

So, investors are a picky bunch? Maybe? (Haven't read their Feb.5 "release" myself.)
L

Back