60MPH 11kW Qulbix Raptor

QuestionMan said:
Why did you swap out the motorcycle seat?

Pedaling with that seat just isn't fun. The frame is just too wide for that. But I'll put that moto seat back on depending how I feel and where I ride.

Went pedaling the bike today. It feels like you are moving a monster around. Installed the front Magura brake today and had to go with the 203mm rotor. Made a cut on the top tube for the CA. Been a while since I used my dremel and files.

Hello,

I saw you used that double mount kickstand. How do you like it, dose it hold the bike stable? Does it fold up and does not hang lower than the chain ring?

I tried installing a standard 305mm kickstand but it is too short for the raptor.

Could you post a picture with the kickstand up.

Thank you. It really is annoying not having a kickstand.

Here's a pic of the bike with the stand. The ground is uneven, so both the front and rear wheels are touching the ground. On level floor, the front wheel is a bit off the ground. Holds the bike up.

I also use a cheapy motor cycle stand on the raptor when I work on it. Here's a pic of it, although on used on my other bike.

So far no progress on the Raptor. I was rebuilding my EVG bike instead. I'm heaving extension wires coming in today or tomorrow for the magura brakes. I found out that those magic shine extension cables have the correct connectors for the brake cutoff.

I received the replacement rear arm today from Torque. I must say that this production sample is of way better quality vs the one I received first. It was also well packaged. Check out the pics.

I almost finished the bike. Still to clean up the install, wire up the brake cutoff and mess around with the CA.

The test ride was nuts!! Cromotor is a beast. Torque is insane when I went offroading a bit and the 3 speed came in handy. The throttle control coming off the CA is pretty good. The bike handled nicely, but will get better once tweaked. Pedaling was a PITA with the bike seat in place. If the bracket was slimmer from the top, my legs would not hit it. I'm putting back the moto seat.

I decided the put the controller inside the bike to keep the mud off from it. Still have plenty of space for the batteries.

The cromotor is just super quiet with Zombies 18fet controller. Gonna have to ask him what his default settings are.

The new swing arm is on the left. Notice the shock mount.

nice to see ur build coming along, what kind of speeds are u getting?

I put the motor seat back on. Blew my sensored controller, so I stuck a spare sensorless Lyen 18 fet controller in there. Not as smooth, but as powerful. CA recorded 55A max and I only used regen from 30mph and a phase gave out.

I've been riding with the Lyen sensorless controller and it works very well with the Cromotor. I'm 188lbs + bike 107lbs and the controller has no problem pushing me offroad. There is one some big dips/bowls that I won't try with the sensorless controller. Either today or tomorrow I'll hit the trails again with Lyn sensored controller and see if I'm brave enough to try those big bowls. I met these Japanese people on the trails and they loved the bike. One guy couldn't stop smiling after a test ride. Another guy thought he could keep up with me with his 29'er. :lol:

Here's the crew.

GNG bike is 53lbs
Raptor 107lbs
EVG 85lbs.

Here are two vids. The first one shows how easy the 5000W bike is to handle in a strangers hand. In the second vid you can see me in 3:08.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SohEsy5X7N8&feature=share&list=UUA1_qR90MVioo7t_pn9i3hQ&index=1

[youtube]SohEsy5X7N8[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbkwbLBFWp4&feature=share&list=UUA1_qR90MVioo7t_pn9i3hQ

[youtube]nbkwbLBFWp4[/youtube]

I added some more copper on the traces of Lyen 18 fet sensored controller as I did with the sensorless version. The controller is a bit better at the topend and climbing steep hills from a standstill. Sadly no video. I managed a speed of 46.8mph. Bike feels like it can go faster. I'll have to find out what that limit is one day.

I had my friend and his daughter ride the Raptor too. They loved it. He is about 265lbs and the bike still pulled him like mad. His daughter is about 115lbs and the bike takes off like a bullet with her on it.

Vid of me crawling up a steep hill with the cromotor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYGpuFu8lLc&feature=share&list=UUA1_qR90MVioo7t_pn9i3hQ&index=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7nkQ9Azc70&feature=share&list=UUA1_qR90MVioo7t_pn9i3hQ

Did you need to beef up the traces to run 70 battery amps & 145 phase? Does beefing up the traces without changing the controller settings, offer more power?

I think lyen said that the 18fet can handle 65 battery and a 2.5 ratio of phase amps so 65 battery and 162 phase without beefing up the traces.

I guess it couldn't hurt doing that but just wondering.

I just added more copper like on the zombie controller. Makes a difference in the feel of the controller. In my case I saw a gain of 300-400W without changing anything else and going up the same hill. When I saw that I just upped the battery amp to 70. When the weather gets warmer, I'll most likely go to 75A battery and 150 phase. I'm using 3M Thermally Conductive Adhesive between the frame and bottom of the controller. I'll be adding a temp sensor on the controller in the summer to keep an eye on things. Lyen did state that his 18fet is rated for 5200W. Obviously I'm pushing more than that. I found that the 2.5x multiplier doesn't really apply on every bike. Total weight and motor choice effects what phase multiplier works best.
One of these days I'll send in Zombies controller for repairs. I really liked his controller when it worked.

I swapped over to Schwalbe Crazy bob tires for some onroad fun. Well I hit 53mp and the bike just felt stable. Regen brakes got a work out too.
Got me some bigger platform pedals too and they feel better with this big heavy bike.
I had to add a spacer to the front brake rotor for some more caliper clearance.

What is that on your rear shock?

I see you blew a controller, was it because of running 24s? I am scared to try 24s because I blew a controller already doing that.

It's just a shock cover that I made using two Lizard Skins Neoprene shock covers. Keeps the mud off nicely.

I have yet to send the blown controller back for repair. I was just running 21S, activated regen and blew a phase. I could run 24S, but I might be pushing the controller too hard with the cromotor at that speed. I could try it, with reducing the phase current a bit. I have Lyen 12 fet controller run on 24s with no issues for quite some time. That is running at the edge of its limits though. I feel like I'm running near the limit with lyen 18fet. I wouldn't know where to run the Raptor on 24S though.

I finally got around to hooking up the E-brake cutoff and got to try out the CA cruise control. I still need to hook up another switch so I can enable regen with the ebrakes when cruising in the streets.
The CA V3 cruise control is really easy to use. Move the throttle and the cruise control disables. Hit the brakes and it disables. I have mine set at 6 seconds.

I'm pulling 15A from the wall to charge the lipo packs. Wish I was able to charge faster.

Added Magicshine super bright rear light on the rear shock reservoir. Spreaded the swing arm like 2 millimeters to stuff one of Zombies C-washer to give me more brake clearance. No more rubbing of the rotor against the caliper adapter.
Added a front fender to keep the junk out of my face when commuting to work and back.

Charging station

I can't wait to ride home.

Back