Crystalyte Crown motor laced in Surly Rolling Darryl rim

mitchknights

1 µW
Hi all,

I have a couple of questions that I hope someone will be able to answer?

Will the Surly Unholy Rolling Darryl rim handle the torque of a Crystalyte Crown TC-65 at 72V 80-90A? Will be only used around town, never off-road.
If so, will the spoke dimensions be accurate for lacing the motor into the offset Surly rim? 160mm, 26 deg bend 8mm from spoke head.

I have a feeling that i will need two different length spokes for the offset. Any thoughts?

Cheers Mitch.

Not the best combo IMO. Your riding habits aren't close to tapping that motors potential.

The best combo if you have the know-how is use two small geared hubs for each wheel making it a dual wheel drive.

Another way, is a geared hub front wheel motor & a mid drive running the rear. That way you get more torque in the back wheel for powering through stuff. A little more complexity though.

I could be miss informed, but I believe Surly fat bike rims are all 32h. The crown is 36h.
Not gonna be an easy fit. Possible, but not recommended.
I believe that Bionx is one of the few companies to offer a 32h e hub.
I suppose you could use other brands of 80-100mm rims that have 36h on your fat bike with a crown.

Good luck.

melodious said:
The best combo if you have the know-how is use two small geared hubs for each wheel making it a dual wheel drive.

Another way, is a geared hub front wheel motor & a mid drive running the rear. That way you get more torque in the back wheel for powering through stuff. A little more complexity though.

Imo.. both of those are not good ideas ..

if you want to run 3000w + .. one Direct Drive rear hub motor is the way to go.

Another dilemma are the tires. Not sure what the user wants for speed level or rider input, but just looking at the 3-4 inch fat tires from surly, there is going to be an issue with wearing out the treads. I'm all for a fat tire revolution, but I think his type of riding is suited for a regular bike. Unless he lives in the mountains or snow country or the deserts or the beach or the lakeshores or the riverbeds or the... :wink:

Ypedal said:
Imo.. both of those are not good ideas ..

if you want to run 3000w + .. one Direct Drive rear hub motor is the way to go.
+1

mitch just do, i have. to all the non fatbikers out there if you dont have one ,you cant talk. ive had mine for 2 winters. Ti Mukluk 4.8 tires on 80mm rim36 holes with a Cromotor 24 fet 20s2p. they do have 36 hole wheels even in 100mm wide but i went with 80 and mine are double wall. my bike fully loaded weighs in a 88.3 lbs. i wouldnt trust a single wall rear rim but i do have one on the front soon to be 85 mm carbon rim. and get a cromotor not something that isnt proven.all of the people here on this forum and youtube that have cromotors,were are the crowns motor vids and the other fun stuff LOL

Attachments

• 20140106_211311.jpg
    20140106_211311.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 2,033
  • 20131129_144601.jpg
    20131129_144601.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 2,033
i just typed 36 hole rolling darryl and it came up 162.00 and there out of stock. you have to use the internet

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/36-spoke-fat-bike-rims-890101.html

This might be of use depending on where you are.....

Kudos

Gents,

I have looked around and as previously stated in a reply above I am waiting for the 36h rolling Darryl rim to be back in stock in a few online stores. I grabbed a pair of the surly black Floyd slicks for shoes. I'll only be riding on bitumen on a custom built chopper frame I'm getting built. Don't necessarily require bulk top end just want bags of torque. Purely a beach cruiser for around the Gold Coast. Won't have any pedals only electric drive. Just want to sit back and enjoy the sights. 8)

I guess back to my original question does any have any experience using a surly rim with a hub motor. I know they are rugged rims with a seam welded joint. Anyone's thoughts on handling to torque?

Cheers Mitch.

Depents on the weight your goin to be riding and were your riding id still go with a double wall rim plus there in stock.plus cheaper in the long run itll be the last rim youll buy.the rim will be centered on your hub no offset

Back