S12S Sine Wave Controller

docnjoj

1 GW
Well my test was very short. I hooked it up with Halls and Phase and checked current flow. It was less than 1 amp but had some hiccups at full throttle. I should have tried several more combinations! Took it out on the road and it ran funny. It was slow and applied the electric brake(regen) often. Then it just stopped working. I probably blew FETs but it looks OK inside. I'll probably send it to dnmun or zombiess to analyse.
I believe I had incorrect Hall/Phase combo so I ordered another one (they are reasonably priced at 34 bucks). I hate giving up and want to use the Pedelec features on my trike. I'll have another go when the new one arrives but will be MUCH more careful matching wires then. Hopefully it was my fault and not a manufacturing defect. We shall see. I also ordered a SO9P just incase of failure. It avoids the Sine Wave and uses square wave but has the proportional power for pedaling
My 9 year old Infineon doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it just keeps on ticking and runs the trike.
otherDoc

I ordered a new S12S and will take my time and use the standard methods for finding Halls and Phase connections. I also ordered an S09P for backup. Both controllers can do Pedelec and my present old Infineon may not be able to. Stay tuned.
otherDoc

Damn. Either I keep reading this thread or it's a common theme. I presume you matched the colours, which is about all I'm likely to do. Did it last long?

Well my Infineon has b-b, g-y, y-g so I started with that. I checked the current and it was about 1 amp but twitched at higher Rpm. Road tested and terrible. Didn't shut it off fast enough :oops:
Time for a new one.
This one I will actually test with the spreadsheet. Been years since I tried a new controller.
otherDoc

Got the new one and after fussing with the meter made it work. The old one may also work, since the controller is controlled in one aspect by the LCD meter. You need to go to Advanced Settings and set P2 to 1 (I think) Then the motor responds to the throttle. In my case very slowly. Still testing.
otherDoc

Edit: Got it to run faster somehow? Road test today.

For some reason he has two threads on this (would be better if they were merged into one ;)). This is the other:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56310&p=849681#p849681

Sorry AW. I certainly would welcome combine threads if you mean me.
Update:
S12S has been going well for about 2 weeks with no problems or cutouts, since I connected the Speed Magnet and sensor. Now that it is trouble free (except for the big stick I rode over that knocked off the sensor! Now fixed.)I have really been enjoying the absolute silence that the 9C clone runs at. Also the torque response is gradual but firm and smooth. I had to repair the meter to fit on my front derailleur mount, but it works fine and is fun having a fairly accurate speedometer. We average around 14 mph so no speed demons. I can now recommend the BMS S12S Sine Wave controller at 36 volts.
otherDoc

I bought the latest S12S controller from bmsb a good month ago, I just put it on last night and I was surprised to see the S12S has grown from the last S12S I bought from bmsb which I got when they first came out.
Look at the size difference. Dont be fooled by the fact I painted my old one black and put a sticker on it, its still very much the S12S.
0115b4884e5862af51a11259b2db061036905bc94d.jpg

Also I tried to change over to this "dual hall" PAS sensor it fits great like a glove but I simply couldn't actually get it to work, I placed back on my old disc style PAS which worked instantly. I got 3 of the "dual hall" sensors cos they were so cheap but none work for me.IMG_13682.jpg

Also upgraded to the KT-LCD3 display, what I love about this display is it has a little symbol that shows up when ever the brake sensors are engaged, its symbol is next to the Light symbol.
By FAR the most frequent problem I have had has been when the ebrake sensors have been artificially engaged and thus the motor is cutout/dead but I would normally have no idea why before I had this LCD display and it would take a while to work out that was the only problem.
IMAG0002.jpg

TheBeastie said:
I bought the latest S12S controller from bmsb a good month ago, I just put it on last night and I was surprised to see the S12S has grown from the last S12S I bought from bmsb which I got when they first came out.
Look at the size difference. Dont be fooled by the fact I painted my old one black and put a sticker on it, its still very much the S12S.

Yeah, it seems that when then introduced the S12SH model, which was in the larger box, they just decided to use the same box for all S12S models.

I found the same thing, when I ordered a new S12S last year. (The old one wasn't compatible with the LCD3.) The larger box was too big for the space allocated on my bike. But I found it fairly easy to change the guts of the controller, and use the old box with the new electronics.

Oh, and if you want to paint the new box black as well, here's a tip:

Disassemble the box, clean the parts thoroughly, and use a couple of coats of Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy:

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-78...=8-2&keywords=rustoleum+epoxy+appliance+black

Hang the parts on wires from your oven racks, and bake them at low heat for 2-3 hours.

I painted mine about 8 months ago, and it's been holding up perfectly - no chips or fading:

QWRqDM.jpg

Avitt said:
Oh, and if you want to paint the new box black as well, here's a tip:

Disassemble the box, clean the parts thoroughly, and use a couple of coats of Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy:

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-78...=8-2&keywords=rustoleum+epoxy+appliance+black

Hang the parts on wires from your oven racks, and bake them at low heat for 2-3 hours.

I painted mine about 8 months ago, and it's been holding up perfectly - no chips or fading:
That looks tiptop, yeah I bought probably the cheapest black paint I could buy, didn't think about quality and yeah its chipped to hell.
Will try and get that paint next time, cheers.

Anyone know whats the highest voltage battery someone has used on the S12S LCD3 setup?
I am guessing the caps are 63V so I am guessing 14S 18650 is probably the highest voltage I could safely have without having to worry?

Curious if there's a source for these with less expensive shipping ($35 to USA). Shipping is same price as controller!!

I'm interested in buying one to experiment with casainho's open source firmware.

Any followups (bad) news from those that have been using this for a few years now?

Thanks.

Back