How-To: Meanwell 63-84V CV/CC Charger

Kingfish said:
I think what we need to do is branch this thread and begin anew to build/source a good 100VDC/100A Watt meter. Whatcha think?
Hmm...thread necromancy:

Since it was never mentioned after this point, I suspect you found one, but I do wonder why you never attempted (and no one suggested) to use your Cycle Analyst (assuming you already had it at this point) for measuring pack charge on teh DC side. (perhaps yours was a direct-plugin type, which makes it slightly more complicated to use ti to measure charging, but it is still possible if you install charging plugs on the controller itself, so taht you can charge thru it's shunt).

If you need higher than the 45A stand-alone shunt the CA woudl normally come with if it's not a DP model, then they ahvea 200A shunt on the ebikes.ca website.

In conversation with Justin at e-bikes.ca, I suggested that they market a basic, cheaper CA, that does just that, a power meter without the cycle side functions.

He did say that something liek that was on the cards, but when...that was the big question..other jobs were more important..like the V3 CA no doubt

NeilP said:
In conversation with Justin at e-bikes.ca, I suggested that they market a basic, cheaper CA, that does just that, a power meter without the cycle side functions.

He did say that something liek that was on the cards, but when...that was the big question..other jobs were more important..like the V3 CA no doubt

Sounds like the thing I'm working on for the display on my new folding bike project. Here's a snap of the first run with code that "sort of" works OK:
Prototype OLED display.JPG

The top line is fixed and displays battery current, battery voltage and power, the bottom line is a bargraph showing how much of the available battery capacity has been used, a bit like a car fuel gauge. It just keeps track of Ah used, subtracting them from the total that's reset to the battery nominal capacity when the battery is charged.

I'm not going to be making and selling it as a product, too much customisation needed for each user and I don't have the time. I will happily make the schematics and code available - no circuit boards are needed as I've used an off-the-shelf organic LED display with an easily programmed µcontroller piggybacked on it. The display and µcontroller retail here for £9.99 (about $15). The only extras needed are a current sensor module (ebay) and a couple of voltage sense resistors that can be included in the wiring.

Bump

Jeremy Harris said:
Sounds like the thing I'm working on for the display on my new folding bike project.

The top line is fixed and displays battery current, battery voltage and power, the bottom line is a bargraph showing how much of the available battery capacity has been used, a bit like a car fuel gauge. It just keeps track of Ah used, subtracting them from the total that's reset to the battery nominal capacity when the battery is charged.

I'm not going to be making and selling it as a product, too much customisation needed for each user and I don't have the time. I will happily make the schematics and code available - no circuit boards are needed as I've used an off-the-shelf organic LED display with an easily programmed µcontroller piggybacked on it. The display and µcontroller retail here for £9.99 (about $15). The only extras needed are a current sensor module (ebay) and a couple of voltage sense resistors that can be included in the wiring.

Very, very, very kool Jeremy. Thank you for doing this. I hope you'll start a thread topic about this, so all the documentation can go in one place.

Thank you! :D

deVries said:
Very, very, very kool Jeremy. Thank you for doing this. I hope you'll start a thread topic about this, so all the documentation can go in one place.

Thank you! :D

Thanks for the kind words. I won't derail this thread any more, but updates will initially be on my lightweight folder thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42133

If there's interest in a DIY unit like this, then I'll put all the documentation, code etc on a separate thread in due course.

This unit also turn the bike on and off too, with no current being drawn in the off condition, although that needs some additional circuitry. The code still needs tidying up, and testing (leading zero blanking was doing odd things last night, for example) and some of teh control functionality for turning the bike on and off needs sorting, but the bulk of the code works for measuring and keeping track of current, voltage etc.

This thread is hard to find but Im having problems repairing my mean wells so I need to look at the SCH for a while and I might ask some questions.
I replaced the transistors and the diode and measured all the other things I could think of. Back to it...

According to the SCH I might have the wrong transistors to repair with?? I ordered these hoping to upgrade http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/HD1750FX/497-4646-5-ND/810925
Data sheet http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/datasheet/CD00052299.pdf
I found a 2SC3320 in a couple of my PSUs So I cross referenced it to the HD1750FX I also saw someone found the 2SC3320 in their PSU on this thread. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=25972

I have a couple different types of PSUs maybe some are knock offs I though they all were. Maybe I can only use the transistors in some of my PSUs and the one I tried fixing is made for a PNP or something different? the SCH here shows the diode in a different way then the 2SC3320 and the HD1750FX here http://www.hordsoffun.com/ebike/pics/Meanwell_S-350-27.png

Good luck..I have never been able to repair any of these..and the cost to get them done at an electronics repair place is higher than buying a new one.

I have basic Fluke 87 III meter and a scope, but not the knowledge, beyond replacing obviously blown components (which is never enough), to repair one of these, or any similar SM PSU's.

have tried several..I don't even waste my time now

Because I had 7 blown MWs in a pile I decided to order what I figured was a upgraded Transistor and Diode with my last controller dig key order so it did not cost me much. I managed to make 1 work perfectly and one make a buzzing sound with low voltage out put and it does not adjust. I still have 4 more to try fixing. But for me its practice in diagnosing how to repair them and the possibility of making them a little better.

Cheap - easy (470-500w) ≤84V 5.5A charger
63V @ ~7.5A
37.8V+ @ ≥8A

MeanWell, or any generic, 320(350)-48 ~6.5A 40-56V
+
Very available and easily modifiable
MeanWell Mods - S-150-24 ~6.3A 20-29V
=
7.8-5.5A (adjustable) 60-85V (adjustable) bulk charger! (w/current mod) - For 15s - 20s Li-ion = Lipo

+8-5.5A 9s - 20s w/voltage mod on both - very easy!
(Replace 1k voltage pots with 2k-5k - both units)

ES Wiki - MeanWell S-150-24

Run in series with any generic 320 or 350w 48V.
S-150-24 must be on the low end of voltage unless ground wire not used on either unit.
Might be voltage between cases of units - do not touch together till tested w/volt meter.
See MeanWell article "in series".

Warning!
Check for voltage "isolation"!
Build array without ground wire to 2nd or 3rd components.
Do not let components touch each other.
Check between units to confirm electrically isolated, casing to casing, (0V reading)
Using a line with small fuse, test-connect ground to 2nd unit etc.

Easy (1000w) ≤84V 12.5A charger

DrkAngel said:
Cheap - easy (470-500w) ≤84V 5.5A charger
63V @ ~7.5A
37.8V+ @ ≥8A

MeanWell, or any generic, 320(350)-48 ~6.5A 40-56V
+
Very available and easily modifiable
MeanWell Mods - S-150-24 ~6.3A 20-29V
=
7.8-5.5A (adjustable) 60-85V (adjustable) bulk charger! (w/current mod) - For 15s - 20s Li-ion = Lipo

+8-5.5A 9s - 20s w/voltage mod on both - very easy!
(Replace 1k voltage pots with 2k-5k - both units)

ES Wiki - MeanWell S-150-24

Run in series with any generic 320 or 350w 48V.
S-150-24 must be on the low end of voltage unless ground wire not used on either unit.
Might be voltage between cases of units - do not touch together till tested w/volt meter.
See MeanWell article "in series".

Warning!
Check for voltage "isolation"!
Build array without ground wire to 2nd or 3rd components.
Do not let components touch each other.
Check between units to confirm electrically isolated, casing to casing, (0V reading)
Using a line with small fuse, test-connect ground to 2nd unit etc.

Easy (1000w) ≤84V 12.5A charger

Simple Mods for MW S-150-24 as control module for 54-84V 5-500w PS-charger
See - 15-29V 0-10A Simple-Cheap PS-Charger

@Kingfish

Hi from Germany,

do you think it is possible to modify a "Meanwell RS-150-48" (Out: 48V 158W, fanless)
to provide 300V DC Output-Voltage ?

You published former a schematic of "Meanwell S-530-27"
I think the Output-Part ist similar to the RS-150-48.
increasing the secondary winding by 6.25 and resistors in the feedback circuit - is it so simple ?

Possibly an extra Output-PCB is neccesary due to the higher Voltage-Level (insulation distance)

Greeting Thomas (runout)

runout said:
do you think it is possible to modify a "Meanwell RS-150-48" (Out: 48V 158W, fanless)
to provide 300V DC Output-Voltage ?
Hello Runout –

Thank you for the question - however I’m not an Electrical Engineer; my forte is Electromechanical Engineering which is a bit more on the component design and integration level. Therefore I cannot determine if your mod would work.

If it were me and needed 300VDC OUT, I’d source a unit designed for that purpose. Alternatively, stack identical lower-voltage PSUs of desired current capacity in series to achieve a similar end. Both are less risky than changing the circuit of an old model PSU.

To be honest, I sold off my S- and SP-series PSUs years ago and have since moved on to using the Meanwell HRP-600 Series. …and perhaps moving on to RSP series shortly. 8)

Take care, KF

Back