Ebiking is so fun its changed my life

evolutiongts

10 kW
Hey guys, I just started ebiking about 120 miles ago, so far it has changed my life. I always grew up riding bikes so the ebike is pretty much a mountain bike on steroids, like a motorcycle. In fact, I ride my ebike way more than my motorcycle, not to mention I can go off road and hit bike trails. I cant even sleep because its so exciting and fun.

It is alot of fun,ive been doing it for along time and everyday im still excited to get on my ride and go across town :D ..

Yep, gets in your blood. Serious work to stay alive in traffic though. Not much fun if you become a trophy for Oscar Grope!

Genuine freedom being able to move with great efficiency when others just sit, wasting air & oil....

Old biker "cliche" but rings true - "Live to ride, ride to live!"

Funny to read this. Ebiking has been my major addiction for over a year. Even tomorrow I can't wait to get up to try out some modifications I did to my ebike.

I'm not really sure what makes it so fun and when the thrill will die out. Motorcycles get boring fast as your stuck to the street and have to obey traffic rules. With an ebike, you can take it anywhere.

I am on my 2nd ebike build now, which is more like a dirt bike. But this bike is so comfortable to ride and eats up anything on-road and off road. I think it is as good as an ebike can right now, or at least that was my plan when building it.

My new ebike basically expanded my fun as now I am into doing high drops with the bike, riding up stairs, riding down stairs, off-roading much harder than ever before.

wcvd.jpg

You betcha that torque raptor would be fun. But I find even riding a very low powered off road ebike to be very fun. I ran higher power for a few years, but decided last year to take up pedaling again.

Either approach is a blast, the motorcycles I rode in the 70's handled like a pig compared to my 75 pound ebike. A good MTB handles like a dream compared to those old bikes. I'm sure a 2014 dirt motorcycle handles a lot better, but nevertheless, a sub 75 pound dirt ride is very good riding. I often get into that same trance state I used to get when backcountry skiing.

But even on the street, I found ebikes very addicting. I'd arrive at work in the AM, after a 45 min ride thinking aww shucks it's over already. I really started to enjoy 50-60 mile rides on weekends after I bought enough battery to do them.

For us old folks it makes the difference between not going up hills and doing so. Since there are fairly long upslopes to return to our house It really makes the difference between getting home after 20 miles or not. It also makes the difference between riding for a half hour and being whipped or doing 2 hours and just feeling good (and a bit sore).
otherDoc

docnjoj said:
For us old folks it makes the difference between not going up hills and doing so. Since there are fairly long upslopes to return to our house It really makes the difference between getting home after 20 miles or not. It also makes the difference between riding for a half hour and being whipped or doing 2 hours and just feeling good (and a bit sore).
otherDoc

You pretty much nailed it, ebiking takes the best parts about the cycling which for me is going downhills, dirt riding and eliminates the worst (going painfully slow uphill).

Ykick said:
Genuine freedom being able to move with great efficiency when others just sit, wasting air & oil...."

You nailed it, commuting to work is suddenly fun again, offroading is suddenly 10x more fun, and the freedom and motivation to explore.

So true for us older folks. Now that I have chronic post viral fatigue, I must be able to completely stop pedaling when I have to. Part of the healing process is to exercise regularly, but never over exert. E bikes make that possible. Wherever I am when I tire out, I can still ride home on motor only. Also, I can get up hills with the same 70w effort. I just can't sprint anymore, ever. I have to keep a steady but easy pace in all things now.

But even before the west nile virus, I reallllllllly loved having a motor on those spring days when the wind is blowing 40-50 mph. Imagine a 15 mile ride home from work in that! No problem with a 1000w motor. And the 1000 ft climb to home was also easy. But I did have to watch my battery when it was uphill and upwind all the way home.

evolutiongts said:
docnjoj said:
otherDoc

You pretty much nailed it, ebiking takes the best parts about the cycling which for me is going downhills, dirt riding and eliminates the worst (going painfully slow uphill).

Ditto. I moved from Holland (where I grew up) to New Zealand many years ago. As you know, in Holland biking is the norm. And for the last 30 years or so, I have been wanting to get back in bicycling, but the hills just kill me to the point where I have to get off and walk beside the bike. So not a lot fun. Since last Xmas when I built my commuter Ebike, I've been loving it again. Enjoy pedaling when I want to (on the flats) and when the going gets tough (i.e. up hill) the MAC gets going.. I'll just crack open the throttle enough to give me the level of assistance I want whilst keeping up my normal pedaling effort and conquer those hills easily now. Absolutely loving it.

Ebiking is life changing.
Only challenge now... is when I go for a ride, do I ride the 'normal' bike and try to lose the 10 pounds I gained at Christmas...
or ride ebike and give my grumpy old knees a break?

(Answer I think -- enjoy the ebike, and try to push away from the dinner table a bit sooner) :wink:

I've only ridden maybe 50 miles so far, so I guess I am still on the fence about what is more fun - Building or riding ebikes.

As a Carpenter by trade, the electrical and mechanical aspects of the build are challenging, if not educational. I am always up for learning new skills, and revel in the research process.

What I can say is that I think we are in the midst of a transportation revolution here, and as our cities and streets continue to fill up with denser populations, ebikes will become the norm, rather than the exception.

I can only see ebike technology getting better and cheaper from here.

I like the building and tinkering just as much as riding!

...broken or not, if i'm not actually on it, riding...it always seems to be ripped apart and tweaking :D

Plus it's already saved me almost $2000 since this past July after selling the truck.

Also...I want to electrify everything now...longboard, rollerskates, kick bike, son's bike...sigh

r3volved said:
...broken or not, if i'm not actually on it, riding...it always seems to be ripped apart and tweaking :D

Hear you. For every hour I spend on bike, probably spend 10x thinking about what needs to be tweaked...

I'm on that same electrify everything on wheels program and up to 6 electric bikes. I still pedal, just only at a pace my body isn't over stressed at.

Everyone above pretty well summed it up. At 73 being out on my trike is my greatest joy, but without the electric assist I couldn't enjoy it like I do.

Just got back from taking my latest build, a Bafang mid-drive, down to let my doctor test it out. After going around a block with one nice little hill he stopped and asked a few questions and then asked if he could take it around the block again. Yep, he had a big grin on his face. This build is low geared and goes to my 60 year old sister that has some big hills leading from her town to her house.

I didn't feel like doing the wheel build thing for the Nexus 8 speed IGH, so I had my closest LBS, 25 miles away, do it. He wants me to bring the finished bike in so he can test it out. Says he gets lots of questions from his customers concerning electric assist.

Yes the ebike is life changing and has save me from the boredom of driving in traffic each day to work and not knowing if it will take 40 or 60 minutes to get to work. Now its jump on the bike and twist that happy handle and off to work we go passing the traffic. I'm lucky in that I have no more real updates to do to my two bikes as they are so reliable and hassle free I just need to clock up the kilometers and they pay themselves off withe the petrol they save.
Now why is it so hard for the rest of the community to work this out, ppl are just blind to the alternatives and cannot get it through their heads that you can put a motor on a bicycle and is still a bicycle ands it's not cheating.
Alex

My ebike is wonderful and life changing, from going on rides with friends or just turning up to where i need to be (I use my ebikes as my only form of transport) without being sweaty like a normal bike, I can still pedal if i feel like it, and my 1000w setup gives me enough power to zoom away from the lights and wheelie if I'm feeling adventurous.
IMy 250w setup is nice for just going on a long ride or when there's no need to go fast, or just a workout and the motor is there if a hill becomes too much (rarely)

I'm happy to have spent over 2500 dollars on ebike related bits and bobs, it's definitely been worth it, and I'll continue to spend in order to get more AH :)

evolutiongts said:
Hey guys, I just started ebiking about 120 miles ago, so far it has changed my life. I always grew up riding bikes so the ebike is pretty much a mountain bike on steroids, like a motorcycle. In fact, I ride my ebike way more than my motorcycle, not to mention I can go off road and hit bike trails. I cant even sleep because its so exciting and fun.

Dido man its even more fun with friends ebike club.

I have 800 miles on my evg global but my battery cought fire. But before that happened I loved riding it to work im saving a ton of.money not driving. Living in ny is very expensive and the police give me tickets on a regular basis nothing under 200$ each time. Im sure I will get busted riding and my bike will get impounded but untill then im gonna enjoy it

I can see I am not the only one here that is obsessed with electrifying things.
I find myself reading the forum every spare moment just to find my next project.

Back