#1 The long road

That swingarm is PHAT! 8) ,gonna be interesting to see the dropouts.

Stage 1 welding done , forks arrived with 3 different springs soft/ med/ hard,SAM_0561.JPGSAM_0522.JPG

beast775 said:
That swingarm is PHAT! 8) ,gonna be interesting to see the dropouts.
droupouts milled , clamping of course :) with brake caliper bracket, now back to the welder. SAM_0598.JPG

Thanks soaresdacosta very kind.
Still waiting on the welder with the swingarm, it will be ready in 2 day's has stretched Into three weeks.
Im keeping busy though, opened up the other side of the main frame and fitted the forks and the tube looks straight, "thank fork :D " seat structure just needs tube welding on now iv'e worked out the height / angle, blah blah
Cutting out the the center shapes and cleaning all edges by hand filling took a total of 4 hours, the term "think of a time and double it" is sooo true on some jobs.

Attachments

• SAM_0604.JPG
    SAM_0604.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 4,213
  • SAM_0633.JPG
    SAM_0633.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 4,213
  • SAM_0629.JPG
    SAM_0629.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 4,213
deffx said:
Wow, awesome work. Surprised you're not using the big hits four bar rear suspension or copying it at least.
This is a great question, i got to the batt mounting stage , and thought bugger it... ill nearly do a frame in the time it would take to make a batt enclosure [ ali frame and carbon surround/fairing] on the big hit.
But this new frame had a lot more design / fab implications than i anticipated ,[iv'e found most of the design work in the swing arm] but always better to look at it optimistically to start with.
I sold my supermoto to fund this journey,but am looking forward to no valve clearances/oil changes blah blah. just plug it in and watch the lipos charge :mrgreen:

Charleyhaze if i can motivate you thats why were all here.

Attachments

• IMG_1652.jpg
    IMG_1652.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 4,124
Nice husky. Shame you sold that. But yes they are a bit high maintenance. Sold my trail bike and road bike last year to. Just wasn't using them enough to justify maintenance, insurance, registration. Plus I'm getting on a bit and noticed the ground hurts more now. An e bike doesn't really replace them exactly but almost for shorter trips. In fact I beat my son on his moped sometimes just with the shortcuts I can take. Were he has to follow the road rules.

Swingarm looks great! theres some tricky angles to weld,i know I would make a mess of it. :lol: ,forks are awesome,what steering rake are you figuring on? the battery frame box might look good with relaxed geometry? cool build,this one has piqued my interest ... you made me miss my KTM 520 supermoto damn I liked riding that bike!

deffx said:
Nice husky. Shame you sold that. But yes they are a bit high maintenance. Sold my trail bike and road bike last year to. Just wasn't using them enough to justify maintenance, insurance, registration. Plus I'm getting on a bit and noticed the ground hurts more now. An e bike doesn't really replace them exactly but almost for shorter trips. In fact I beat my son on his moped sometimes just with the shortcuts I can take. Were he has to follow the road rules.
I use to ride MX i was made of rubber then. now it takes longer to heal, i plan on having 2 ebikes, no rego therefore i hope no guilt if im no using it as much... but i cant see that :) .
my welder is dragging his feet on the swingarm hopefully get it before chrissy then ill do a pre- assembly then start painting so iv'e sourced another welder for seat tube it's done , now im just trimming it .

Beast a friend of mine had a 520 i would miss it two. one day well have esupermoto's

Both thumbs up on your magnificent mechanical work so far. :)
That´s what bike building is all about.
Think, sketch, draw, think again, cut, grind, weld, put all the cool stuff onto the frame and yes, don´t forget to make it electric!

-Subscribed-

Dlogic said:
Both thumbs up on your magnificent mechanical work so far. :)
That´s what bike building is all about.
Think, sketch, draw, think again, cut, grind, weld, put all the cool stuff onto the frame and yes, don´t forget to make it electric!

-Subscribed-
Wow thanks Dolgic and yes Totally i know you know the drill :D , dont forget dream=motivation +education, time,more tools,stare at it a bit :idea: idea,
Just bought a V3 CA-DPS and have moded it to a DP to get speed from controler halls http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56052 not to hard, but it was a few mm to wide to fit in the frame so i measured the v3 case internally /externally and carefully hand sanded the sides leaving 1mm to spare ,fits snugg now, it felt strange to take a sander two a new CA, next is pulling up the button's and pack them so they are flush with the frame for good access.

That´s what customizing is all about. :mrgreen:

Don´t stick with the stock stuff.
It cost you a fortune, you´re unsure if the mod will work, it might end up broken?
Great, let´s open it up end get going.

I have to be honest, some things did die under my influence. Sometimes half my monthly salary was spent for stuff that ended up busted. The positive side of this method is discovering what better not to do.

Burned motors, fried controllers, puffed batteries and lot´s of steel and aluminum shaped into all kinds of things that later on just didn´t do the trick and ended up as junk.

But as long as there´s hope and new ideas you just keep pushing it. More and more until if finally drives like magic, with no noise, or smelly exhaust.

Love your wheel building posts.

1.How do the Michelin tires handle?
2.Are they a lot harder to pedal around then for example the Maxxis Hookworms at 24 inches?
3.Did you drill the flange holes in the front hub to fit those 12 AWG spokes?

I might get my hands on an X5405 soon and would just love to build a wheel like yours using a good motorcycle rim.

I kept the wheel building part short the main thing i learn't was getting the out of round under control first then concentrating getting it straight, the tape idea really helped.
Sadly i havent used the m45's yet but they have a good rep though, my guess is yeah they would be harder to pedal. rear od is 560mm /22 inch'.
No didnt drill the flange's , your method is very pro i think you have set the standard there, my rear spoke's have some deflection but im not that concerned my rear are 10g front 11g, next time i might go 11g rear 12g front.
Im sure once you have the x5404 in your hands and feel the weight the decision will be easy + as you know better puncture resistance , better tyre wear,looks right, i choose 17" for max exceleration :)
Just got some automotive 2pac paint gloss black of course $60 for half a litre.

After waiting a month for the swingarm to be welded , the brake calipir bracket has been welded on back to front :roll: , as this was also a brace for the droupout weld i am now machining a fix.
Seat post finished, cycle analyst cutouts done by hand.
Things to do
crank pod and tube fabricated and welded
rear shock top and bottom mounts machined/ welded.
new rear brake calipir spacer.
Then frame is close to finished. im sure one or two more things will pop up, but close.

Attachments

• SAM_0692.JPG
    SAM_0692.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 3,965
  • SAM_0729.JPG
    SAM_0729.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 3,965
Swing arm back at the welder's to fix caliper bracket probs and iv'e fabricated the bottom bracket tube pod and made sure it wont get welded on backwards, lesson learned :| . .
Some goodies have arrived so thats cheered up the build, im rapped with the direct mount .

Attachments

• SAM_0746.JPG
    SAM_0746.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 3,981
  • SAM_0749.JPG
    SAM_0749.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 3,981
Awesome thread, subscribed.

Do you happen to know what the width of the 2.75" M45 ends up at once mounted and inflated? Is is much larger than 2.75?

Cheers

trevc2 said:

Do you happen to know what the width of the 2.75" M45 ends up at once mounted and inflated? Is is much larger than 2.75?

Cheers
Trev Iv'e got a 2.5" m45 on the rear and measured it for ya ,inflated its 68mm/ 2.6" so we can guess the 2.75" will end up 2.85"
Machined up some shock top mounts , as you can see iv'e gone for a dhx air shock, very light around 2kg lighter than a DNM :D .

That's great, thanks. i was chatting to another member who said the 2.75's ended up at 3" on his 1.6 rims, so I guess it's good to plan for some extra width being required.

Cheers

Emoto said:
trevc2 said:

Cheers
Trev Iv'e got a 2.5" m45 on the rear and measured it for ya ,inflated its 68mm/ 2.6" so we can guess the 2.75" will end up 2.85"
Machined up some shock top mounts , as you can see iv'e gone for a dhx air shock, very light around 2kg lighter than a DNM :D .

trevc2 said:
That's great, thanks. i was chatting to another member who said the 2.75's ended up at 3" on his 1.6 rims, so I guess it's good to plan for some extra width being required.Cheers
Trev My rear rim is also 1.6 . my swingarm inside is around 3.25", cant see myself going any bigger than 2.75. im told by my mc tyre shop the m45 will be run out in aus soon,
Dlogic said:
Splendid. This makes me think about updating my TIG welding system in order to be able to weld aluminum.

Looks so neat and professionally done. Not just like a purpose build. :mrgreen:
Dlogic my frame welders mainly do aluminum, there in big demand which is always a good sign but therefore a bit slow , which has motivated me into looking at a tig as well imagine 8) . there are some good tutorials on utube how hard can it be :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWJt3fFJ6Hk
My estimated frame weight will be close to 6.5kg i have over engineered the swingarm but that will future proof it if i up the power/ motor, if im right a bommer with vbox is 10kg so thats quite a saving.
Did you weigh your frame.

Yup, my frame weighs 10,7 Kg including the Vboxx and swingarm.

A friend of mine works as an engineer and calculated the frames rigidity.
He told me that there´s about 2,6 Kg of steel that could have been saved.
But this makes for a super tough structure. At least it feels very sturdy. Nothing feels like it´s twisting or giving away under load. :mrgreen:

Did around 70 Km today in perfect weather. The Heidenau K65 tires are highly recommendable. With the power and speed this bike is capable of there´s no better tire. :)

After being stalled 6 weeks swingarm is done but the welder wanted payment for the fix to his mistake :lol:
long story short ive got another welder, so i bored and aligned the bottom bracket tube and off to the new welder, the good news the turnaround was 24 hours i almost couldnt believe it, awsome! now i can get to work.
So machined bottom shock mount.SAM_0910.JPG
And here she is standing for the first time :DSAM_0928.JPG
Dlogic said:
Yup, my frame weighs 10,7 Kg including the Vboxx and swingarm.

A friend of mine works as an engineer and calculated the frames rigidity.
He told me that there´s about 2,6 Kg of steel that could have been saved.
But this makes for a super tough structure. At least it feels very sturdy. Nothing feels like it´s twisting or giving away under load. :mrgreen:

Did around 70 Km today in perfect weather. The Heidenau K65 tires are highly recommendable. With the power and speed this bike is capable of there´s no better tire. :)
Just weighed my frame 6kg , i agree i also over engineered it a bit so hopefully no worries.

Attachments

• SAM_0986.JPG
    SAM_0986.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 3,730
Back