Oset 24" build

Sean9002

1 kW
Hi everyone! As my parts are going to start arriving this week Im getting in early with my build-log. This bike has been inspired by gwhy's talk about e-trials and betarambo's current Oset build (still waiting on your write up mate!). While this bike wont be strictly a trials bike, it will be for scrambling/trials/hills and technical riding (maybe skate park too). Its going to be starting life as a 48v system but when a bit of cutting and welding is done it should be running 72v and will be an ongoing development as I see where the smoking point of this motor is.
In the beginning it will be running a 24 inch front wheel with a 3 inch tire. the rear (until I get the swing arm sorted) is a Pirelli scorpion 90/100 16" which should be a snug fit on the wide rear Oset rim.

Parts on their way:
Oset 20" 48v
DNM Downhill Forks
24inch Halo SAS Dirt jump wheel
24"x3" Duro Wildlife tire
Pirelli Scorpion 16 inch rear tyre
4x48v Earthx lithium batteries (to be replaced by a 72v 40ah lifpo)
This will be the temporary setup while I develop it more.
I get the feeling the disproportionate sizing of the wheels and the longer front end will give it the 'Huck Bike' look that some of the older downhill riders on here may recognise =)

To be considered:
72v Kelly programmable controller (BL or BLDC is dependant on motor choice)
possibly a TC100 in the rear laced to a 24" downhill rim. would like to keep it mid drive for weight distribution so maybe an Turnigy 150cc will find its way in there (open to suggestions)
Frame gussets
New rear sprocket carrier from Oset (as available)

Stay tuned for more as the parts roll in. Cant wait to get started! :D
If you have any suggestions or criticisms, feel free, just keep it friendly.
-Sean

Tyre turned up 24x3 Duro. Heavy bead on it, hoping the Halo rim is wide enough. :? Happy Australia day weekend everybody!!

No way! Gentleman Jack and coke premix bottles!

Just did a search and seems to be Oz and NZ only.

Sorry kudos looks like Australia keeps the best pre mixed drinks to themselves. Its a nice drop! Does anyone know if theyre available in the US? Maybe you could organise a group buy and ship them across the Atlantic. :mrgreen:

Sean9002 said:
Sorry kudos looks like Australia keeps the best pre mixed drinks to themselves. Its a nice drop! Does anyone know if theyre available in the US? Maybe you could organise a group buy and ship them across the Atlantic. :mrgreen:

I have a feeling you knew we couldn't get these and were just trying to make us jealous.

It worked. :mrgreen:

Sean9002 said:
Tyre turned up 24x3 Duro. Heavy bead on it, hoping the Halo rim is wide enough. :? Happy Australia day weekend everybody!!

is that an APC on your desk? do you produce music?

Gow864 said:
is that an APC on your desk? do you produce music?
Its a Maschine by native instruments. I have a studio full of gear at my house. Just a bit of fun really :)

Damn ebike build has distracted me from music...need another 8 or 9 hours in the day!

4 Batteries arrive monday afternoon (tuesday thanks to Australia day).
http://earthxmotorsports.com/products-page/gsx1100f-katana-gsxr1100-gs1000/etx18b/
Now i realise these arent ideal, but i have access to them at a great price so tthey will suffice until i build something with a bit more grunt. Im looking for recomendations for a charger. What do you all reckon? Im going of them for 48v maybe keeping the format and running 72v.

midcitybikesbrla said:
Oset 12.5 I modded the nuts off of for my boy:
http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/44325-oset-125-frame-mod/

Nice one. Thanks for sharing that! Nice bit of metal work.

Batteries were waiting in the mail room at work this morning! Happy days.
They are immensely lightweight. I'm regularly swapping SLA's out of UPS's and they run roughly the same dimensions. The weight is not even comparable. That's a standard 2.5inch hard drive for comparison.
So at first it will be 4 to make up 48v, there is easily enough space to double the amount of batteries =) and then some!

Hopefully there will be more components arriving this week, as I'm expecting the bike to arrive by the end of this week.

More toys collected today

Forks:
0699fc1b5097f5f2e24552c93351ecee_zps4676c396.jpg

f46464e883ea28632904ec8b2d7f9099_zpsbda06598.jpg

62a712f1969d15a9e5abcb906877db66_zps677686f8.jpg

Rear tyre: (serious concerns about fit now that ive seen it. Not sure how wide that swing arm will be)
76d5192cde5fff33f292a70af6e12ae3_zpsef7ee4ad.jpg

Next to the 24x3 Duro tyre
ebc5aca257f5d5f73bdcce10602767b6_zps572db1d4.jpg

Hey, that build is a good idea. Had that in mind to. But I think the frame is to small for me.

Sean9002 said:
I get the feeling the disproportionate sizing of the wheels and the longer front end will give it the 'Huck Bike' look that some of the older downhill riders on here may recognise =)

Sorry to say that but I think, the bike will handle like shit with an 24 wheel up front and a DH fork... just change the front wheel first or get a shorter fork... But in any case I think there is no way to get a perfekt bike without cutting the frame down to make it longer and fit the steering angle to your needs.

Although I would not change the motor and the voltage. The stock motor seems to have a lot of punch and good low speed control. I don't think you will get somthing that handels that nice if you change the motor and the controller.

Improofing the battery is the way to go!

--freeride-- said:
Hey, that build is a good idea. Had that in mind to. But I think the frame is to small for me.

Sean9002 said:

Sorry to say that but I think, the bike will handle like shit with an 24 wheel up front and a DH fork... just change the front wheel first or get a shorter fork... But in any case I think there is no way to get a perfekt bike without cutting the frame down to make it longer and fit the steering angle to your needs.

Although I would not change the motor and the voltage. The stock motor seems to have a lot of punch and good low speed control. I don't think you will get somthing that handels that nice if you change the motor and the controller.
Improofing the battery is the way to go!

All valid points mate. I'm aware that the stock frame will be low and have a short wheel base. I will be separating the end of the swing arm (just behind the curved brace) and extend by about 3 inches, and reinforce it to take the extra wheel weight and leverage forces it will see. Following on from this I will move the upper shock mount to keep the movement fairly linear. Thankfully the member 'Betarambo' has already done a great deal of this work already and has proven its feasible. He is running 26 inch wheels front and back. He has added length to the swing arm and frame. Granted our objectives are different, he has shown that the frame can be modified successfully.
The main issue will be the steerer angle. Id like it to be raked out a bit more to compensate for the longer travel fork, and to make it less 'trialsy'. So I will need to rope in a more experienced metal worker so that the steerer remains true and straight.

Front wheel has arrived. Halo SAS 24 inch dirt jump wheel. Halo hub 20mm thru axle

b7f790bf108be0c1b7ab473def813e2a_zps05288c8f.jpg

Next to 27.5 x 2.5 maxxis

67c1ab2ca9a4b7d40ea5378757ebabed_zpsc4ffdb6e.jpg

ea4a17846d7d7cb2a0f52c2e3c173280_zps926a88bc.jpg

Sean9002 said:
would like to keep it mid drive for weight distribution so maybe an Turnigy 150cc will find its way in there (open to suggestions)
-Sean

The Turnigy is popular, however this motor is similar size but with a much lower KV (50) which makes gearing easyer...
...and it has a higher power rating !
http://alienpowersystem.com/shop/120mm/120100-outrunner-brushless-motor-50kv-25000w-2/

Those front shocks will look awesome if you take the stickers off. I tend to do that to all my bike stuff, acetone it all :)

Hillhater said:
Sean9002 said:
would like to keep it mid drive for weight distribution so maybe an Turnigy 150cc will find its way in there (open to suggestions)
-Sean

The Turnigy is popular, however this motor is similar size but with a much lower KV (50) which makes gearing easyer...
...and it has a higher power rating !
http://alienpowersystem.com/shop/120mm/120100-outrunner-brushless-motor-50kv-25000w-2/

Nice motor!! But that price tag may be out of my reach at the moment. Im going to run the stock oset motor for a while with a more powerful programmable controller. Id love to go brushless in the future, so who knows, might get a big pay rise and ill run something along those lines

trevc2 said:
Those front shocks will look awesome if you take the stickers off. I tend to do that to all my bike stuff, acetone it all :)

Good call mate, the decals are hideous. I realise its a budget fork but it should look nice and will perform well enough. If i have the funds and the project develops well ill look at the fox/rockshock/manitou offerings.

yawstick said:
Those are a good looking set of forks.... curious as to what something like that cost?

$900Aud but on sale for $500Aud. Cheap and easy, just how i like 'em.
Can be setup for twin disc setup with an adapter that they make.

After a long wait, my Oset 20 has arrived.

Removed the amazingly heavy batteries.

Test fitted the 24inch wheel. The longer fork will help with clearance

Where the controller would normally be (purchasd it ex-demo with no controller)

Sean9002 said:
After a long wait, my Oset 20 has arrived.

Some major work needs to go on with the steering angle! but Im sure it is doable .. Any chance you can take a close up pic of the motor ( I should be able to tell you what it can do in real life as there was a old version and a new version of the motors used on the 20").

Edit:

I think all BR did was to bend the down braces to the battery tray to gain the clearence needed, you may have to do a similar thing , but I would rather cut the braces and try to bend the main top of the frame to adjust the steerer then extend the battery brace struts.

Back