Lithium Batteries Shipping Rules Discussions

looks like then the laws are being eased or they allow scrap batteries.

arkmundi said:
ejonesss said:
did you call the recycling company and ask if they got the cells ok?
Yes, I have confirmation that they received my shipment OK. 7 lbs @ $14.39. Ship USPS!

Sancho's Horse said:
US laws regarding shipping lithium:

Ground 49 CFR 172.704

Air IATA section 1.5

Hazardous Materials Regulations HMR; 49 CFR parts 100-185
RE: Ground 49 CFR 172.704
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title49/49cfr172_main_02.tpl

There is regulation concerning training of 'hazmat employees' by employers involved with hazmat shipping, but no regulation of individuals offering packages to shippers, except that the individual must certify by signature that all regulations are met.

I understand why Fedex and UPS choose to treat customers in the same way the regulations refer to 'hazmat employees' concerning training. They have liabilities that are protected doubly by doing so and I'd think it does enhance safety. The USPS, being at least a quasi-public entity, may not be allowed to impose requirements beyond those set forth in the CFR.

Hi guys
Not sure if its an issue or not, but are there any special postage regulation or rules
that affect ebike batteries?
Im in Korea and may ship a battery to Canada but Im concerned it might get held up or something.
Because of hazardous material or some law that post offices may have.
Just trying to cover my bases before any potential problems, if any.
Thanks!!

Just do what Chinese battery sellers like ping and cammycc do.. Mark it as a "gift" to get around customs/regulations.

has anyone heard anything new on the shipping of batteries as of this date?

also ebike11 i dont understand your question "So shipping the battery material itself is no problem?"

my guess you mean by battery material itself is the pure lithium metal block.

Guys,

One of my clients demands UN38.3 certification for product, containing lithium cell (panasonic ncr18650b). This paper is allegedly required for air transportation.
Can someone bring me up to speed? Where do I get this document from? Do I need to certify my product, or is it enough to provide a copy of UN38.3 test of battery model, used in my product?

@gogo

Yes it does, and only to those companies, who have joined IATA. That should be most of the industry though. To my knowledge only some small airlines have not joined the IATA.

Shipping insanity rant.

I wanted to ship (2) 32Volt 10AH LiFePo4 packs from Ireland to the States. An Post won't do it because they only ship by air. UPS won't do it without a bunch of rigamarole. A local international carrier said it was legal as long as they went by ship, but they would charge me 500 euro to do it.

500 EURO ----- that's like 650 bucks.

Makes me sick. There is still a lot of life left in these batteries and they will probably go to waste. In fact they will more than likely become a disposal problem.

I'll try sell them on DoneDeal real cheap. Doubt that that will work though.

Then I'll try to give them to Damien. Don't know the man but I might be able to locate him.

I gotta get outta this place. It is not a country for old nerds.

P.S. I ran a Cyclone motored bike. Got it running real good too. Will try to get another bike going when I get back to the Pacific Northwest.

while there was no problem shipping the nissan leaf battery modules from the las vegas ebay seller back in the beginning of march.

the battery unit came in a home depot box by ups ground ( i want to emphasize "GROUND" so there is no confusion with air).

knowing the way that the governments like to jump all over and make rules regarding shipping of stuff despite unrelated incidents

i suspect that this recent plane incident of flight 370 (witch some have suggested that may been the lithium batteries on the 787 dreamliner) may renew the desire to control how batteries are shipped despite that the fact that all the 787 fires have involved the batteries powering the 787 NOT ones being shipped.

ejonesss said:
while there was no problem shipping the nissan leaf battery modules from the las vegas ebay seller back in the beginning of march.

the battery unit came in a home depot box by ups ground ( i want to emphasize "GROUND" so there is no confusion with air).

I suspect the seller lied about the contents to the UPS agent. I checked again lately and Lithium batteries are prohibited by UPS rules.

wouldnt ups ask what is in the package if they got a package so heavy? for it's size.

ejonesss said:
wouldnt ups ask what is in the package if they got a package so heavy? for it's size.

Yes, they always ask and when you pay for the service (shipping cost) you agree to their terms (fine print) either on-line or by signing the paper (contract) at the counter. It is the same with USPS and FedEx.

does the carriers inspect domestic ground packages? and if they do inspect domestic ground packages do they have to have a very good reason like they you have to be on some kind of criminal watch list or suspected of being a drug dealer or something?

so if you play ignorance and say no (provided that they dont educate you first in hazmat items.

as a test next time someone buys some heavy item say a motor pack the item yourself and seal it with tamper evident tape or something and see if your local ups store simply takes the package and charges the credit card.

i was wondering would the gift declaration work for domestic packages?

if the chinese are using the gift declaration to get around the battery shipping will it work for domestic packages?

ejonesss said:
i was wondering would the gift declaration work for domestic packages?

if the chinese are using the gift declaration to get around the battery shipping will it work for domestic packages?

The rules are clear.

ping does not label his batteries as gift.

they are declared lithium batteries on the manifest i have seen and valued at $100.

some airfreight companies still carry them, that is why it costs so much to ship them now because the shipping rates can be raised because others have restricted shipping.

they could be shipped by rail direct to europe if the russian transport ministry would ever get into the 20th century. it might take another 50 years after that for them to reach the 21st century. a great nation still ruled by fools just like under the tsars and bolsheiviks. corruption as a national burden.

what the hell did they prove? the black sea fleet is useless. just a waste of money by the russian people to keep a useless military base open. no russian warship will ever make it to the Mediterranean from there when they need to. what the hell does it prove except that they colonized crimea 300 years ago and never left.

what i was wondering is if you use the gift declaration on domestic packages would they still ask?

if they ask what would happen if you tell them gift?

there has to be some kind of loophole for domestic packages.

the " Gift " thing has nothing to do with declaring the contents, it's about the declared value for customs.. gifts are generally considered non-taxed, most of the time.... similar to repair/warranty declared.

if a package is not crossing thru customs, it usually does not need to be declared to the shipping company, however you are bound by the terms and conditions regardless.. and it's all in the fine print.

Back