foundingpower programmable bms

dutchlincoln said:
Today i noticed the Oled display going crazy on me.

I had such case with one of my testing BMS units as well, when putting on a powerful vehicle. After some measuring with osciloscope I found, that (most of the) problems are in spikes, that are caused by motor regulator. Try putting 22 uF X7R (!) 0805 ceramic capacitor between pins 1 and 2 of the LCD.

In addition, if you encounter any problems with the button (i.e. display changes without pressing), solder a 100 nF capacitor between button contacts to do some "hardware debounce".

Regards,
Gregor

Bluetooth software is almost ready ... It has following functionality:
- Displaying driving information with different layouts - base with most used information such as speed and distance (taken and calculated from phone's GPS module), current, voltage, power etc. + bar graphs and advanced with single cell voltages and other detailed information.
- Logging data to .CSV file, possible to select which parameters to log (possible to choose from: Voltage, Current , Power, SOC, Speed, GPS Location, Temperatures, Cell voltages). Logging is also working in background!
- Logging files sync via Dropbox/Google drive

Searching for few beta testers, which would be willing to provide me some feedback ...

What I offer:
- free BT module installation (BMS must be send to us to install the BT module or you must have a proper electronics knowledge and equipment to install it on your own!)
- free Android software for BMS with further upgrades

What I request:
- Kind of "technican guy" - to know, what to expect and how to explain it :)
- EU citizen (so BT module can be send without tax etc. problems)
- english speaking, skype
- (obvously) must have an Android smartphone (display resolution at least halfHD, GPS is required)
- (obviously even more) must have the proper BMS - only the new model (with charging FETs on the same board, see images on my web) is supported - different data protocol ...

More on http://www.ecat.si/smartbms/?lang=en
If interested in beta testing, please email me via support mail on the web site!

Some screenshots are attached. Do mind, that the final visual "lipstick" is still on the working list, but first everything else must be done, tested and re-tested :).

Regards,
Gregor

Attachments

• main.png
    main.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 974
  • details.png
    details.png
    126.7 KB · Views: 974
What do you mean by half HD resolution ? What is the minimum android version ?

I could test it but only in a bench for now (until april I think), so I don't know if it can be usefull for you.

If you can simulate the load, then it should be fine. Minimum phone resolution is 1280x720, android supported versions are 2.2 and above.
Please contact me on email provided on the web ...

Regards,
Gregor

Its a pitty...
I still have a non-working version-1 BMS, and its been a month now since last contact with Eason.
I find it very uncomfortable that i have a non working BMS for over 2 months now, and can't get to contact the vendor...
What started as really enthoustiastic, is a bit of a bummer now... :(

Did this company drop the ball on support. I have been researching a BMS for my Greyborg and remembered this thread. I won't bother buying their product if they are another typical Chinese company with no support.

zombiess said:
Did this company drop the ball on support. I have been researching a BMS for my Greyborg and remembered this thread. I won't bother buying their product if they are another typical Chinese company with no support.

Well, in my opinion it is too soon to conclude such, but the odds arn't very positive if you may ask me...

@dutchlincolin:
Contact me, if you are from Netherlands then you may send it to me (EU) and I can check it ... I can do some measurments and comparisions to good BMSs.
Also please write me more details on what's wrong on support at ecat.si, maybe I can help you.

As to Eason - they are going to have a Chinese new year soon and maybe he left the office a bit earlier ...

@zombiess:
Due to my contacts with China producers, I have experiences that 9 of 10 china sellers are just resellers without any knowledge of what they are selling. Well, I must say that Eason is not one of them, also the BMS is extremely well built (well, there's still space for some improvements, but a minor ones) - and trust me, I have seen plenty of BMSs!

Regards,
Gregor

Gregor,

I'm sure eason is not one of the thirteen-in-a-dozen chinese supplyers, but in a month time, there should be a spot of five minutes to send a reply, right?

As for the BMS, i described above. From the first chip, voltages are not correct. The first and last cell of the firts chip are okay, but inbetween is way too high. Everything is definately wired correct.
I can send it, but time is against me... It is for a customer of me, and he's aready very pissed that it takes so long. I really need a new one very quick...
PM me on how we might solve this...

Sent you PM.
There might be some hardware issue in input section of the BMS or in LTC chip itself.
Not very likely, but - anything can happen to a live man they say! :)

Regards,
Gregor

p.s. Such scenario (too high in-between voltages) occured to me once, when I connected 3 cells in wrong order i.e. 123564789.

mucek said:
Sent you PM.
There might be some hardware issue in input section of the BMS or in LTC chip itself.
Not very likely, but - anything can happen to a live man they say! :)

Regards,
Gregor

p.s. Such scenario (too high in-between voltages) occured to me once, when I connected 3 cells in wrong order i.e. 123564789.

i will check the wiring again, but i done it many times, and each position i shift my testlead of my DMM, the voltage rises with approx. 3 volts, so... But i'll check it just to be absolutely sure.

I wonder that too! :)

I have received BMS (it's an older version) from dutchlicnoln and found two major problems: burned elements in input section between cells 4-6 (this was most probably caused by incorrect battery connection (2 cells reversed, i.e. 123465789...) and bad soldering (and even one pin teared) of charging MOSFETs (this is also design problem, which was changed in new board design (with SMD MOSFETs).

Due to a fair, which I attend this week (see http://www.ecat.si/2014/01/ecat-na-ifam-2014-sejmu/?lang=en) I don't have more time to do the testing, but I assume that now it should be fine. Will test in next week and see if 3 resistors and 2 diodes did the job :)

Regards,
Gregor

Attachments

• burned1.jpg
    burned1.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 3,463
  • teared MOSFETs.jpg
    teared MOSFETs.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 3,463
Hi!

Just to remind beta testers, that there's new Android software avalible for download!

Here are some highlights:
- Improved graphical design
- Current bar changes color regarding to the current (discharging: red, charging: green)
- Some visual improvements (font sizes etc.)
- Modified settings menu (removed unnecessary icons and labels)
- Modified app restriction: working applications disables screen sleep
- Modified app shutdown behaving: if you want to close the app (so logging will be stopped etc.), you shall use “exit” button and confirm exit. If you only “minimize” it (pressing Android "Menu" button), it will still run in the background (and also logging will be activated!)
- If you want to have loging enabled, you must have checked at least one checkbox in Settings menu
- Fixed bug in logging (some parameters were not stored properly, such as GPS latitude was stored twice instead of latitude/longitude), added time as first logging parameter.

Some notes about logging:
Log file is created each time, when app is open (fully open, not just "brought back" from stack (running in background) ). Its name tells date and hour/minute of creating and its content depends on program settings. Logs are usually stored at /sdcard0/storage/
There are some parameters grouped under single checkbox (i.e. checking "log voltage" will start logging both, pack voltage and single cell voltages, "log temperatures" will log all temperature sentors etc.). If you don't want to have logging enabled, simply don't check any checkbox in logging settings!

TODO:
Google drive/Dropbox automatic logs transfer
SOC bar graph shall change color (green-yellow-red) regarding to SOC state
Add settings: manual set high/low limit for current/voltage bar graph (2 modes: charging/discharging)
Final graphic design (now it's a "programmer's design" :) - have a friend, who will play with graphics)

Regards,
Gregor

I think this is the time to let everyone know where i purchased this BMS. In the Netherlands there's a one-man show company **edited**, run by **Edited**, and he sold me the defective BMS. He literally told me to contact HIS supplier with these problems, as he didn't have any time for me ti figure out what happened. Unfortunately for him i have proof (and he told me) tha he had used the BMS prior to delivery to me, but he stated that it worked fine...
I have checked all connections again, and really, they are correct...

Mr. " **** " has 2 left hands himself. We came into contact with eachother, as he had no technical knowledge, and i handled electrical stuff for his customers for a small fee. We agreed to add these fees together, and pay out into electrical components that i needed (of which this BMS is part of). At the end he pulled my leg, and owes me quite something, and gives no-home to me. There are many customers of him that complain to me, as he doesn't solve his problems. He even sends them to me (without discussing it to me first) and says they can put their stuff in my front yard when i'm not at home!!
So, is anyone wants to purchase something over there, be warned. Warranty is one of the words that Mr. *** doesn't know!

I hope that Gregor can solve my problem with my BMS...
Up so far: Many thumbs-up for Gregor!!

Edited, due to a solution offered and accepted by me.

has anyone heard from founding power lately? I bought a BMS a few months ago that didn't come with any instructions.
I've been trying to contact them to no avail.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Foundingpower-programmable-control-relay-BMS-for-48V-72V-Battery-Management-System/1302170138.html

pretty lame.

Check for documentation on my webpage: http://www.ecat.si/smartbms/?lang=en

Can't get Eason on email/skype for a while now ... I'll let you know, as soon as I get in touch with him ...

Regards,
Gregor

Finally get in contact with Eason ... He was ill pretty seriously and was just released from the hospital.

Though I still don't think he'll be able to work fully for a few weeks, so be patient ...
In case of technical matters you can also contact me and I will help best as I could ...

Regards,
Gregor

thanks for the info!

I do have it up and running now.

hope to hear he is doing better soon.

Cheers

Does anyone have a link for the current PC software? I got my BMS finally setup but I think I need to setup some parameters.
I found this one, but its password protected
http://www.ecat.si/smartbms/?lang=en

Hey guys.. so I took my bike for its first ride today with the ebms.. everything seems fine. When I got to my destination I looked at the LCD and its reporting that the battery is charging, not discharging. Is the current meter directional? Do I need to filp it around on the comon wire?
Also, I turned off the key which is connected to the switch on it.. and the lcd has stayed on instead of turning off like it normally does.

whats the deal?

thanks!

Back