Do you have or plan to start an ebike business?

Do you plan to start an ebike business or business around ebikes?

• Yes, but I already have a business around ebikes

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Yes, in the near future and I am very certain

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No, maybe, uncertain

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • No, never

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

leffex

1 kW
Lets find out how many people like to do ebike business in the future or do have one already.

:D

N.B. doesn't have ebike legislation, it has an ebike policy, which can change at a bureaucrats whim, so no I would not invest in a storefront and inventory.

The electric bike population has doubled between 2012 ans 2013, and the current trends indicate that it will double again in 2014. That equals a lot of newbies.

The top three retailers by a large margin are Currie, Pedego (rear hub cruisers), and Prodeco, with many E-bikes being sold through Amazon and Ebay. http://www.ecycleelectric.com/blog/important-events-from-the-2013-electric-bike-industry

Everyone likes to read the articles on the slick new high-end E-bikes, but the vast majority are the "entry level" E-bikes, with the kits also selling well.

Even when a customer is reasonably satisfied with the performance, the batteries are almost all at an entry-level of quality and are usually too small, leading to half the rated life-cycle. Newbies want advice on minor trouble-shooting and what battery to buy next that will be better than the stock battery that came with the bike. Some drop off the ebike scene when their first battery dies, and others like it so much they want a second bike with better performance...and they are then willing to pay more to get something good.

If I need a LiPo wiring harness, I will get it from ES member icecube57 (Chris).
Methtek doesn't seem to be selling stuff anymore...
Bertie made optical sensors for RC motors
ZombieSS makes throttle tamers (adjustable throttle ramp-up to tame Cromotor wheelies)
kfong had a great LiPo LVC V4 battery protector (is he still selling them?)...

Having an ebike business has been one of the biggest thrills of my life. Not as profitable as I thought, but none the less still profitable. Those profits are then put right back into the company. 8)

BUMP

Any news here guys. Anyone who want to fill in some?

I work at an ebike store and develop it as well. Since 2018 full time and it's been very good. How has it been for you, have you just started or are you in the planning stage to start your own ebike related business?

I really dig the inventors pushing the diy to a higher level. High power controllers build from scratch, or upgraded. Spot welders build from a basic board and new type of cell holders invented. The new type of battery configurations and the inventors of new motor designs.

Share and state what you think, guess and want.

I'm working on a 5kw middrive offroad machine that weighs 60lb that I can pedal home when it breaks down. Most people tell me to get a dirt bike or just give me blank stares. I'm surrounded by USFS land that just opened up to class 1, but once you're accustomed to high power how can you be happy a 750w???? Don't ride high power bikes on class 1 trails right? I'm I the ebike store owners worst enemy? Would you sell me parts, work on my bike?

I live in Orlando, which is notoriously bad for cyclists, but it's coming around. It will be much better 10 years from now, with all of the bike lane extension plans that are in the works. Having possibly the worst reputation in the nation might have something to do with it! Ebikes are up and coming. There is demand for cheap ebikes in the $400-600 range, which I think I can do, realistically. Profit margins look pretty bad, but those bikes will need service eventually.

I work in a small shop on the outskirts of the CFL area, Apopka, and I am already known as an ebike 'guru' of sorts to most bike shops, since I know all of the good mechanics in the area (having worked with them over 18 years). It looks like I'm in the best position to try it, with a few cheapies on the showroom floor. I haven't acted on it yet.

But, I think a bike shop full of custom one offs and cookie cutter bikes would set the place apart from any other in the whole area, perhaps enough to establish a real reputation. Absolutely no one wants to get into it, or has the knowledge of the aftermarket industry equal to mine. I think it's time to capitalize on that, and adapt ourselves to the changing bicycle industry, which is only getting worse for small shops to survive on.

Back