GOT MY VOLT 2014 TODAY !!

Doctorbass

100 GW
Hi guys !

After 2 months of intense wait i finally received my brand new Chrvrolet Volt 2014 today!

That's an importnat day for me! I had my Acura Integra 2000 for 10 years now and i loved it but time are changing and E bikes and E motorcycles was just not enough to complete my E-smile :mrgreen:

There was one missing components that would satisfy all my needs regarding transportation: An ELECTRIC CAR!!

The volt is perfect for my need because i can travel 90% of the time in 100% electric and 10% of time with gas for my long travels.

The total rebate that i got including the gouvernment incitative and GM rebate is 9970$ wich is excellent motivation to make the move !

http://roulezelectrique.com/stephane-melancon-doctorbass-recoit-sa-volt-2014/#comment-77655

Doc-MelanconP.jpg

EV count:

- E-Trike
- E-bike
- E-Motorcycle
- E-Snowblower
- E-lamnmower
- E-car !!

It's time to install my new 30A 240V LEVEL II EVSE 8)

Doc

Gratulation :D

Don't confuse the brake pedal with the gas pedal. :mrgreen:
[youtube]lKDbFi1v7ig[/youtube]

That's awesome Doc! Congratulations and thanks for leading the way!

Hi Doc,

Wow so nice I’m happy for you, nice car love it, I’m will seriously consider this option when my location will end in 3 years.

Good day!

I want to see this thing going 88mph!!

Congrats Doc!

Doctorbass said:
Hi guys !

After 2 months of intense wait i finally received my brand new Chrvrolet Volt 2014 today!

I know you were once as into building SPL systems as I once was. Be aware, if you wanted to destroy every car audio SPL contest for dirt cheap, you could tap your traction pack to serve as the amps high-voltage DC supply (and 75% of a modern D-class amps IS power supply), and boost the gate driver to run a cheap Ebay 1200v/600A IGBT on a big heatsink. There are knock-off pro-audio concert subwoofers for cheap now. This is more potent than any driver I ever had, and dirt cheap.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/L21-8613-LF-Subwoofer-Loud-Speaker_327102946.html

I know its silly and pointless to do SPL contests, but you could make the box and amp easy to remove after you go dominate SPL records in Canada. It seems like such a bare minimum amount of effort to create something else that EV's are unbeatable at doing compared to electrics. I can't think of a more qualified guy to do it if you felt like it, just wanted to share the idea with you and anyone else with the required skills to do it safely and has an EV who wants to have SPL record-setting-level base for under a grand or so of investment. (less than a single SPL amp costs, and yours will be equal to perhaps 50 of them for ~$150-200 in ebay parts)

In my mind the Volt was ugly :oops: going by that picture it's a very nice looking car 8)
Congratulation and I look forward to the warranty expiring. :evil:

dB! It looks like there's a half-dozen Volts in the background of that pic. Dish it man, what's the deal? Is The Great White North becoming home to Volts at a faster pace than the ol' US of A?

Give us a "5000 mile report", too. This is like a "Volt build thread", so we'll all be learning through your eyes, ears and mind....

liveforphysics said:
Doctorbass said:
Hi guys !

I know you were once as into building SPL systems as I once was. Be aware, if you wanted to destroy every car audio SPL contest for dirt cheap, you could tap your traction pack to serve as the amps high-voltage DC supply (and 75% of a modern D-class amps IS power supply), and boost the gate driver to run a cheap Ebay 1200v/600A IGBT on a big heatsink. There are knock-off pro-audio concert subwoofers for cheap now. This is more potent than any driver I ever had, and dirt cheap.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/L21-8613-LF-Subwoofer-Loud-Speaker_327102946.html

I know its silly and pointless to do SPL contests, but you could make the box and amp easy to remove after you go dominate SPL records in Canada. It seems like such a bare minimum amount of effort to create something else that EV's are unbeatable at doing compared to electrics. I can't think of a more qualified guy to do it if you felt like it, just wanted to share the idea with you and anyone else with the required skills to do it safely and has an EV who wants to have SPL record-setting-level base for under a grand or so of investment. (less than a single SPL amp costs, and yours will be equal to perhaps 50 of them for ~$150-200 in ebay parts)

Ah Yeah Luke.. you just read in my mind lol

That battery pack was tested by the US dep of Energy at 300kW burst without problem.

With IGBT the only components problem would be the woofers... probably that with good quality SMD woofer with 4 spiders and a watercooled or liquid nitrogen cooled coil and a properly tuned 6th order band pass box it shouls ponch some serious 180+dB SPL !

but between 160 and 170dB we already experiemnted blowing windshiled.. so we would need to go in EXTREME class with the Volt... lol

The Digital design DDZ serie look fine with teh neodium magnets

2010_01_13_15_13_50_DDZ_5.png

9 years ago i achrived 141dB with a single bose 5.25" woofer in a 4th order bandpass box tuned at 57hz peak in my Teg... now 180dB+ with a diy Class D amp on 400V bus look interesting ! lol

no more need of these 12V high amp switching power supply ! :mrgreen:

with 400V dc and 1 ohm of parallel woofers it's 400A and look in a great V-R-I range!

Doc

Build a trailer competition car to destroy with pressure powered by the volt pack with a cord

Use field coil drivers

The hoopty car transforms for renegade outdoor parties powered by your portable generator

That is the most impressive driver I could find as well. I used to run 4 x Digital Designs 95 series 15s in a compact bandpass setup.

Im using a carbon cone from a DD 15 as a cone reinforcement for the linear induction motor subwoofer Im building for no reason other than simply to show linear induction is the next generation of subwoofer drive. Im going to give it to Bass Nectar when I finish.

20140311_104833.jpg

20140312_011209.jpg

20140312_011146.jpg

liveforphysics said:
That is the most impressive driver I could find as well. I used to run 4 x Digital Designs 95 series 15s in a compact bandpass setup.

Im using a carbon cone from a DD 15 as a cone reinforcement for the linear induction motor subwoofer Im building for no reason other than simply to show linear induction is the next generation of subwoofer drive. Im going to give it to Bass Nectar when I finish.

20140311_104833.jpg

20140312_011209.jpg

20140312_011146.jpg

Luke, what kind of Xmax (in mm) are you expecting with this linear induction principle?

The mechanical limits of these giant spiders is ~35mm each way. :)

The driver will be able to rip the cone out, so I'm putting in some optical gates to watch it's position to avoid that.

Very cool Luke.

Induction drivers have been around for over a hundred years, but I agree now is a good time to reexamine given the advent better SMC powder.

Wisdom made an 18" induction driver woofer a few years ago with powered iron. Broke during shipping so they never got a chance to measure besides Klippel. The real advantage these drivers have are no leads to fail but you have to watch you don't overheat the mags. For an infrasonic and just-sonic subwoofer, where you basically just need an air pump, they could work well.

Also check out the moving magnet driver from Powersoft. They have a 30" cone sub with this motor. Downside is it requires advanced DSP. Again only useful for sub sub applications really.

No induction drivers have recently made it to market besides hailer applications in the military. The powersoft motor was in field testing a year ago and that is the last I heard about it.

Theaer are many way to implement but here is one induction driver example for those curious about how they work:
induction.PNG

Moving mag:
Powersoft-M-moteur.jpg

I didn't know anyone else had ever made one yet. Good to know the concept is proven. :)

Mine will use no permanent magnets, and no low temp materials. I'm designing around > 25kW. :)

Can't wait to see your field coil induction driver :D

The challenge is going to be making the adhesive joints at the cone and spider hold up to the heat. Might not want to use adhesive.

25kw means nothing if it is not efficient. Increase the sensitivity 3dB and you would only need 12.5kw for the same output

flathill said:
Can't wait to see your field coil induction driver :D

The challenge is going to be making the adhesive joints at the cone and spider hold up to the heat. Might not want to use adhesive.

I've got some extremely high-temperature exotic adhesive to play with fortunately. :) Also, the pipe to cone interface is getting a custom ribbed carbon-fiber backing piece with lots of strong rib-to-aluminum-tube reinforcement joints.

A typical subwoofer may have some extreme X-max value, but with it's pathetic ~2.5-3% efficiency and rather tiny thermal mass and low continuous heat dissipation of the voice coil, you can see once you even reach audible woofer frequencies, they seldom have the power capability to use more than a few mm of the woofers theoretical long-cone-travel capability. This makes all the coil hanging out of the gap in a conventional woofer mostly non-contributing copper loss at any point in it's travel while it's in audible ranges, but marketing huge X-max values sells woofers. lol

This woofer will only have ~+-35mm travel, but the difference is, I will have the power to achieve that travel even up to reasonable sound producing frequencies. No other woofer I've ever seen is capable of doing that, including the beautiful DD Z-series.

The downside, is my woofer construction itself is like maybe 20% of the effort to make it play, the other 80% is in making the custom poly-phase drive system to control it. Fortunately, we live in a world with plenty fast chips to make a position/rate indicating closed-loop-feedback subwoofer drive entirely possible, and it's got the potential to be the most musically accurate system as well as the most power dense by an enormous margin. :) I'm simply going to leverage EV controller power-stage setups for my amp, but the control system will be tricky. :)

hi Doc!

Great looking car! CONGRATS! your positive proof that when you work hard you get all the goodies. :D it will be great to see your writeups on owning this iconic car in terms of real world ranges and fuel consumption.drive safe my friend.
max

I didn't know that the Volt came with a charger capable of more than 2 kW. 30 A at 120 VAC is better than nothing though :)

Nice one!

jonescg said:
I didn't know that the Volt came with a charger capable of more than 2 kW. 30 A at 120 VAC is better than nothing though :)

Nice one!

The charger is actually 3kW ( 15A 240V)

The volt is using a 16.5kWh battery but limited for 10.5kWh use

It take about 4 hours to charge

I really like the 273 foot pound of torque the 111kW motor can deliver! 8)

Doc

Back