Epik Whistler

WASYLBRYTAN said:
I ran into Melody who just happened to be at the bike shop and she arranged for me to meet her father next Monday. I am trying to get Epik to bring their 450 watt motor to Canada and/or increase their voltage to 48 for more power. Bill
I am curious to know how the meeting went.

why you are so OBSESSED WITH THE PATENT miro. WHY? :lol:
this is all i could find.

WASYLBRYTAN be happy to tell you WHY?
soon as you provide the patent number.
like my dear departed mom was fond of saying;
"one hand washes the other."

or, or...
if you don't know the number;
does this inventor have a name?
are you jimmy chan??
maybe he's your dad the way you fawn over him. :pancake:

p.s.
if you're gonna quote me (or anyone) then pls do so accurately.
not some hack splice job where you've inserted your own words.
yoa know, cut/paste?
(see mom, re:help)

The meeting did not happen because the 80 year old man needed to cancel his trip to Canada until a later date. Someone will inform me when he makes plans to come again and the meeting will happen. I was offended by all the asking for a patent number because it somehow appeared that the company was accused of lying or being deceptive in some way. I have no intention of asking for a patent number because there is no need to prove anything to anybody. There are diagrams already within this thread which show how the motor works. I apologize for whatever role I played in all the misunderstandings and arguments and I will try not to respond when someone baits me.
As for my bike: I have considerably reduced my mileage amount because all those hours in the saddle were becoming uncomfortable and painful to this 60 year old body. I had a long discussion with Melody and Tony about the possibility of designing something more comfortable for old people such as a recumbent or semi recumbent. It is unfortunate that most buyers value style above comfort so it may not be worthwhile for a company to design a pain-free bike. Many people will laugh at me and call me a wimp because they ride without pain. But I'll bet they would change their minds if they knew what it was like to spend almost every waking hour on a bike seat because they do not use cars. Hmm, or could it be that I am the only person in North America who does not use cars? Bill

magic carpet said:
Spent two hundred bucks today on tires, tubes, mirror and bottle cage. Still need lights, saddle, fenders, rack and centerstand. Probably another three or four hundred dollars to get her the way I want her. That bargain price has grown substantially.

1. lights
2. saddle
3. rack

what did you get??

thanks for the pointers.
Ordered a Brooks b72 saddlle to put on the bike.
Anybody have any comments on the build quality of their bikes, like the welds and stuff?

Welds look acceptable in my opinion.
Item arrived on time, put it together, went for short ride. Seemed to be ok, heard some strange noises on the way back, haven't looked into it.
It is a little rocketship, but I don't have anything to compare it with.
Wasn't indicating speed, will have to look at that too. Not sure how if this bike uses torque or speed sensors or what. It's all new to me.

I did set the top speed on the display, how can the system even work if it isn't sensing speed?

Little magnet and pickup for sensing speed if i remember correctly from the 90's when I had my last bike. What about these torque sensors? where are they and how do they work?

I might start a new thread and see if some of the veterans can help me out.

Oh, tommorow is another day, I hope someone answers!

Grrr. it snowed, and I am not confident enough yet to be riding in the snow. Fixed up the speedometer sensor, just a small tweak, now it's reading.
Bike will time out after 10 minutes and shut off if it's not receiving a speed indication is what I believe right now.
Simple fix.

Congratulations on your purchase, I'm sure you will have a lot of good service out of it. I bought my Whistler on January 16, 2013 and I have 17,000 kilometres registered. It still runs as well as it did the day I bought it. I don't think anyone in the world has ridden one of these as much as I have and I am so enthusiastic that people think I am a salesman. (I am not.) The only maintenance it has needed is regular bicycle tuneups: brake pads, chain, cassette etc. All other problems have been promptly fixed under warranty, and I mean promptly. One day, my battery mysteriously stopped working. I made a phone call and had a new battery within an hour. Such conscientious customer service on an e-bike is as good as gold. When I bought the bike I upgraded the tires to Schwalbe Marathons. I have never had a flat with them and there is hardly any wear on them. They look like they will last for about another 10,000 kilometres which is phenomenal mileage for a bicycle tire. Enjoy: Bill

I gonna try to catch up to your mileage lol. The Kenda tyres that came on the Logan are pretty good so far. Hey, lets race! My 29 inch tyred Logan goes faster!
For a person just starting out on a bicycle again, you will have to give me headsart ok?
Nice thing about just starting out again, is the bikes like this magically make the hills disappear. All good, don't care what bike it is. I let a few friends ride my bike and they all had the same big smiles on their faces. E-bikes are the future.

Don't worry about catching up, I never was much good as a racer,my strong point has always been endurance. But I am glad to meet someone who is really going to ride their bike. E-bikes are the future and the reign of the automobile will soon be over. Bill

Fenix Headlamp is in, BT20. I'll work on a method of mounting it to the front basket I put on.
http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-bt20-led-bike-light/

Ordered all my other stuff through Redbikes in Edmonton. The headlamp I sourced elsewhere. Being able to replace my own batteries and having a waterproof battery case influenced my decision to buy the Fenix BT20. I already have high quality 18650 batteries. Looked into ordering one of the more popular 'clone' lights from fastech or dx. Decided against it, shipping takes so long from those places plus the batteries that are included with those lights, in my opinion, are an accident waiting to happen.
Next week, UPS will be knocking on my door with this:
http://www.parktool.com/product/home-mechanic-repair-stand-pcs-10
and these:
http://www.axiomgear.com/products/gear/baskets/rear-side-mount/folding-rear-basket/

Here's the front basket:
http://www.axiomgear.com/products/gear/baskets/front/freshmesh-dlx/

I like the front basket, however the bars are two fat for the mounting system, I made it work with the addition of longer screws. I will replace the stock handlebars and stem later this summer. The stock stem is adjustable, which is nice, however after I find my ideal angle, I will get a fixed stem. It is a nice touch to have an adjustable stem so the user can determine what suits them the best. I didn't mean to hijack the thread with my Logan, but I think the Whistler and the Logan are close enough together that we can keep it all in one thread?

The bike has been great so far. I have no access to a local bike shop. eProdigy's support has been first class, as well as the bike shop I am dealing with in Edmonton, Redbike, most excellent. It's tough doing everything via email and telephone, however with the great support I am getting it's been most enjoyable!

My grocery getter is coming together wonderfully.

This is the back rack I put on. Replaced the quick release seatpost clamp so if someone wants my saddle at least they have to have an allen key! The seatpost clamp has two threaded eyelets that integrate with the rear rack.

http://www.axiomgear.com/products/gear/racks/journey-series/journey-disc/
http://www.axiomgear.com/products/gear/racks/journey-series/trekk-seat-collar/

I'll take pictures next week and post the setup I have going for anyone that wishes to see what fits where.

After a long winter and charging the battery every couple months I finally put it back on the bike and... dead. Picked up a new lithium for the J-LCD and... bike's still dead. Pulled on and checked every wire, everything looks in order. Plugged/unplugged battery, on and off, plugged in on the bike and not plugged in, and still nothing.

Anyone out there have any suggestions on what could be wrong?

And what's up with the battery lights on the top? There are a few and I have one that's always red, one that's off, and the rest are green. What does that mean?

I can't figure out how to troubleshoot this bike at all.

greenstuff said:
After a long winter and charging the battery every couple months I finally put it back on the bike and... dead. Picked up a new lithium for the J-LCD and... bike's still dead. Pulled on and checked every wire, everything looks in order. Plugged/unplugged battery, on and off, plugged in on the bike and not plugged in, and still nothing.
And what's up with the battery lights on the top? There are a few and I have one that's always red, one that's off, and the rest are green. What does that mean?

The lights on the main battery pack indicate the state of charge. Yours looks like it has plenty of charge.
I'd say you have done the basic troubleshooting. The J-LCD does not turn on when you hold down mode button for three seconds? You have already taken the main battery pack off out and put it back in. Unless you are experienced with using a multimeter, time for a trip to the bike shop. Follow up and let us know what the cause of the problem and the fix for it is please.
Perhaps some one else has better advice on this issue.

edit: found this post a couple pages back.
OK, I just figured it out. When I switched off the switch at the base of my battery and then switched it back on, my J-LCD would not switch on, just like yours. I connected the charger and plugged it in and the J-LCD switched on fine. I then disconnected the charger and everything works ok. As long as the base battery switch is left on, the lcd works. I don't know why this happens, but it works for me. But that still does not explain why the lcd just went off while you were riding, unless the main switch somehow got switched off. Bill

WASYLBRYTAN

WASYLBRYTAN said:
Upgrading the motor and battery might improve your acceleration and range but it will do nothing to increase your maximum assist speed. That is a function of the controller. We are already extremely lucky to have a controller which can be set for 40 kph. I am presently researching a way to install a CYCLE ANALYST on my Whistler, this will enable any maximum speed limited only by the motor power.

Want some more speed? Program your computer to 20 inch wheels. 29/20=1.45 1.45 x 40 = 58 kh/h (Logan with the 29 inch wheels)

zanedog said:
WASYLBRYTAN said:
Upgrading the motor and battery might improve your acceleration and range but it will do nothing to increase your maximum assist speed. That is a function of the controller. We are already extremely lucky to have a controller which can be set for 40 kph. I am presently researching a way to install a CYCLE ANALYST on my Whistler, this will enable any maximum speed limited only by the motor power.

Want some more speed? Program your computer to 20 inch wheels. 29/20=1.45 1.45 x 40 = 58 kh/h (Logan with the 29 inch wheels)

What you are saying does not make sense to me. Just because a 20" inch wheel turns faster the bike will not move any faster regardless of what the console says. That 58 kh/h is a false and phoney figure. Oh, I see, you are joking, LOL

zanedog said:
greenstuff said:

I had a similar issue where I rode my bike all morning and came home to find that it would not turn back on after I switched it off. There seems to be some peculiar glitch in the battery which is covered under warranty. I made a phone call to Melody and had a new battery within an hour. If you can't get it to work then you might have a warranty issue as well. If you live locally, give Melody a call. Or, if not, go back to dealer where you bought it. Bill

greenstuff said:

It is normal for one of the lights to be red. There are 5 lights in all and 4 green indicates a full charge. Don't worry too much about troubleshooting, call Melody or Tony and let the fantastic warranty do its magic. Bill

I have been complaining about the low capacity of my battery and wishing that I could get longer range but I came across another idea which I am working on. If I can find the right configuration of triathlon aero bars to fit my Whistler I may be able to improve my aerodynamics and increase my range that way. I have found several cheap units from China but their clamp sizes do not seem to match my handlebars. Bill

WASYLBRYTAN said:
zanedog said:
WASYLBRYTAN said:

What you are saying does not make sense to me. Just because a 20" inch wheel turns faster the bike will not move any faster regardless of what the console says. That 58 kh/h is a false and phoney figure. Oh, I see, you are joking, LOL

No Joke.
The computer will display a lower speed if you program it for a smaller tire.
Consider what happens when I run a 29 inch wheel and set the input on the cycle computer for a 20 inch wheel.
For every revolution, computer will calculate the bike is traveling 3.14 x 20 = 62.8 inches.
The bike is actually traveling 3.14 x 29 = 91.6 inches.
The cycle computer reads 40 km/h and quits assisting, your actual speed would be 58.3.
Give it a try, use your phone or a GPS to measure your speed.
:)

No Joke.
The computer will display a lower speed if you program it for a smaller tire.
Consider what happens when I run a 29 inch wheel and set the input on the cycle computer for a 20 inch wheel.
For every revolution, computer will calculate the bike is traveling 3.14 x 20 = 62.8 inches.
The bike is actually traveling 3.14 x 29 = 91.6 inches.
The cycle computer reads 40 km/h and quits assisting, your actual speed would be 58.3.
Give it a try, use your phone or a GPS to measure your speed.
:)[/quote]

Sorry, I misunderstood. Actually, you have a good point there, I wonder if the motor would have enough power to do it. For my 26" wheel the speed would be 52kph. VERY INTERESTING Its past midnight but I have to try it, be right back.
Bill

WASYLBRYTAN said:
I wonder if the motor would have enough power to do it. VERY INTERESTING
Bill

I'm unsure of that, still getting my bicycling legs under me lol. Just working from theory right now. There is still icy patches on our streets, I need to get my confidence level up in the next week or so before I dial it in. I do know that the Logan, on a flat straightaway hits 40 km/h without too much effort. Aerodynamics play such an important factor at speeds upwards from here. I noticed today for instance riding into the wind, much different than going with it.

LOL, NiteRider! let me know how it works for you, and, what light you running, hope it's a bright one at those speeds lol. Be safe!

Back