What is your favorite 500W-3000W Direct Drive Hub Motor?

I have a 9c from Ebikekit front and a yescom rear motor and the yescom can take more power and seems a bit faster and quieter on the same voltages, but don't know if it's because of a different wind?

I think the yes 1000w kit is a 6 turn. That's why it hit's 30mph on 48v. E-bikekit is a 7 turn. Your riding area would be ideal for the faster wind, unless you are heading to Mescalero. You don't have miles of city grid, with stops every 1/4 mile.

My area, I have the big climb out of the valley to get home. So I kept gravitating to slower and slower wind motors, so I could go farther even up the hills. 10t winding really shines when it gets to big hills, like 10 mile long 8-10% grade Emory Pass. But if you keep that slow a motor at 48v, 19 mph is the top speed.

docnjoj said:
On the lower power end of the spectrum, my 9C clone from Ebikekit coupled with and S12S sine wave controller, is the ultimate in-town or paved bike trail combo. Dead silent (no grunts, groans or sizzles anymore) coupled with smooth power right up to it's speed limit (around 21 mph) in a 20 in Wheel @36 volts. I think with the Pedelec system installed (soon?) it would be even better than the throttle only that I am using now.
otherDoc

Got any video? I'm really interested in moving towards sinewave/FOC controllers for efficiency and stealth.

Maybe in the future video will come to our realm but the only thing we have is a SLR that can take video. My comparison is with my wife's 9C on the front wheel. It is the same motor as mine but has the standard Ebikekit square wave controller and it moans and groans and sizzles! Certainly quieter than my geared Bafang that I used to use but my motor with the S12S is absolutely quiet. Occasionally there will be the slightest hum on takeoff but it is barely above hearing threshold, and it goes away at about 6mph.The loudest thing on my trike now is the new Walmart tire I had to put on for emergency use. It is a white 16" off road tire, Yuk.

She hates change and won't allow me to put the other S12S on, so I constantly hear the difference between her bike and mine. Considering their controllers are 36 bucks and you don't have to have the Screen with it, it's a pretty good deal. Total about 60-70 bucks with shipping but BMSBattery has lots of cheap good stuff like their hidden brake sensors that can be added for very little extra shipping charge.
otherDoc

since you are asking about DD hub motor.
FALCO stands out for many reasons.
36V comes in 3 powers: 250, 500, 750W models.
It comes in as kit , will axcept any 36V battery.
500W model will reach 30mph - no need for crazy voltages.
Built in controller - much less complex.
Design in USA , made in India.
Do you want reliability?
FALCO comes with 5 year warranty, that is right five year.

I use the Crystalyte 404/408 motor with a 2 speed winding on my trike to test Segway 74 volt batteries. The Crystalyte has performed flawlessly. It has handled 2000 watts for 5 years without problems. Thanks Kenny for a very nice motor.
Don Gerhardt

The GoSwiss is by far my favorite hub motor. Very bike-like feel to the pedal assist, no throttle, easy installation, bullet-proof reliability, good range from battery versus other systems with equivalent watt-hour capacities.

Nine Continent m3004rc motor as a back hub bought from grin at ebike.ca for $148. I have a home built 62.5v 15ah lithium battery. It's my daily driver, hits 35mph fresh off the charger and runs about 20 miles. Not sure the controller specifics as it was a free replacement of a old sinewave controller from grin as well. Torque is a little too high and it's nearly bucked me off at a few different stop lights. Always enjoy everyone's expression tho when a mountain bike takes off quicker than a muscle car.
Spent a total of $300, can't really beat that.

My first fav is mxus 3000 4t
My second fav is mxus v2
My third fav is mxus 3000 3t
I am DONE with xlyte. The day they started making the axles with butter I erased that brand forever.

rojitor said:
My first fav is mxus 3000 4t
My second fav is mxus v2
My third fav is mxus 3000 3t
I am DONE with xlyte. The day they started making the axles with butter I erased that brand forever.

What day was that? Or from which series?

5403 year 2011. The threads worn out in no time. I replaced the axle and the entire metal structure cracked. Pure crap.
Never ever again xlyte. It is a pity.....their old motors were so good...

teslanv said:
xenodius said:
You don't need as much power as you think you do, unless you want to have senseless "fun".

If cost is negligible, and bike handling/performance is not otherwise hindered by additional power, I say why the hell not. You don't have to use the power. - But you've got it if you want it.

I can think of three reasons not to use more power than you need. First, even if a more powerful motor and controller cost the same (ish), the battery required to feed them will cost more at a minimum, and range will be reduced for any given battery.

Second, if the power is there, you will use it, and the risk of accidental/negligent injury rises exponentially with added speed and power. That's not a reason to totally avoid a high power bike; but it is something to keep in mind, especially when using a vehicle that was only ever meant to use muscle power and may be less than totally competent under motor power.

Also, if you keep power modest, in most places that means you can treat the thing as a bicycle in terms of licensing and registration. That reduces cost and inconvenience. Using more than the allowed amount of power in an unregistered vehicle is illegal and unfair to legitimate road users who meet their obligations. The street is a public resource and we don't all get to pick which of its conditions apply to us.

Chalo said:
teslanv said:
xenodius said:
You don't need as much power as you think you do, unless you want to have senseless "fun".

If cost is negligible, and bike handling/performance is not otherwise hindered by additional power, I say why the hell not. You don't have to use the power. - But you've got it if you want it.

I can think of three reasons not to use more power than you need. First, even if a more powerful motor and controller cost the same (ish), the battery required to feed them will cost more at a minimum, and range will be reduced for any given battery.

Second, if the power is there, you will use it, and the risk of accidental/negligent injury rises exponentially with added speed and power. That's not a reason to totally avoid a high power bike; but it is something to keep in mind, especially when using a vehicle that was only ever meant to use muscle power and may be less than totally competent under motor power.

Also, if you keep power modest, in most places that means you can treat the thing as a bicycle in terms of licensing and registration. That reduces cost and inconvenience. Using more than the allowed amount of power in an unregistered vehicle is illegal and unfair to legitimate road users who meet their obligations. The street is a public resource and we don't all get to pick which of its conditions apply to us.

All good points, Chalo.

Also, more power usually means more weight. So there's that too.

Dang, that comment was like 3.5 years ago...

Use a Cycle Analyst and your Golden.
If you want to play the legal game, a holographic sticker and a punch stamp on the cover plate.
If you dont give a frock about The Fuzz and you tell them to go eat a donut and to stop picking on the bum then I'd say MXUS 3K or 5K, That was the first motor I bought 3k. Next up would be the QS motor. Then the older Crystalyte motor.

I'm looking to convert my increasingly loud Magnum Metro with "Das Kit" geared hubmotor to a 750-1000 watt DD motor, while retaining the stock 48 volt battery. Aside from lacking a clock, the display that comes with the bike seems fine, so I'd be willing to keep it. I need a DD motor with more hill-climbing power than speed, although I want at least 20MPH actual top speed. What's the best DD kit for torque, quiet and longevity?

I like to watch torque numbers not speed not that speed is non important. Of late I have been thinking of my next build and looking for what would give me more torque than my current setup. 7T leafmotor in 26" wheel controlled by 40amp Infineon powered by 72V 24amp/hr battery https://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulat..._AC&cont=C40&frame=semi&mass=150&hp=0&kv=6.33 on my trike. I ride between 15mph and 20mph and out on the hwy 25mph at times not steady. The only motor I would replace this 7T leafmotor is a 4506 MXUS https://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulat..._AC&cont=C40&frame=semi&mass=150&hp=0&kv=6.33 at this time.

I do not need more than 30mph or 50kph
know about the discussion about higher turn count does not add torque so will avoid that.
For the MXUS I will need a wider frame as I want more than one rear cog.
I do not hear my motor under power only with the regen.

So if you don't need speed think about a slow turn motor. I was convinced that the 7T (have a front and rear) was a bad buy, that said I have come to really like them.
I am going to try a 5T edge on my trike and will lose torque but gain a lot of speed we will see how that works out.

ZeroEm....I agree with you on the torque vs speed.

That is why I chose a MAC...more torque per battery amp than any motor currently available for an ebike. Although it doesn't fit the title of this thread "Direct Drive" since it is a geared hub motor.

The MAC will accelerate faster from about 0-20 mph than any DD motor assuming you feed both of them the same voltage and amperage.

The MAC does have some limitations...being a geared hub motor, it will overheat if you push it hard for a long time and that roughly means you can't ride it continuously over about 30 mph.

IMO a 10T MAC in a 26" wheel with a 26x3" Duro tire is an awesome set up for riding on pavement. It will do about 28 mph, accelerate like a scalded dog, you don't have to feed it massive amperage which reduces your controller and battery cost, and it does all of that on a 52v battery.

Want to ride off road...go with a mid drive like the BBSHD.

Want to go over about 30 mph...go with a Direct Drive.

Just my suggestions :wink: .

Back