Hyperion EOS 1420i NET3 14s Balance Charger...

Has anyone had balancing issues with this charger? I'm trying to balance a 12S 20AH pack (balance leads parallelled). It seems to be discharging all cells fairly evenly such that the gap is not changing (37mV gap). Program shows this gap in red so I assume it is on the high side. Used the trick of attaching a flashlight bulb to bring a particularly high cell down, but otherwise, no closer to balanced after leaving it balancing for hours. Also tried balancing a single brick with similar results.

sometimes the algorithm gets screwy when you're way out of balance... I suggest leaving it overnight or restarting it every so often... or manually balancing. Once you get it balanced and you balance charge all the time you won't have issues (unless 25-200Ah pack)

OH YOU SHOULD NOT parallel the balance leads... unless you'e running 6S.... put one 6S pack in A and another in B... 14 balance wires going to charger. The best way to parallel lipo is the rebuild the packs... otherwise you're likely to have more balance problems

Thanks hillzofvap, any tips are most welcome.

I am running two sets of paralleled 6S balance harnesses, each parallelling 4 Turnigy 6S 5Ah bricks. B plug associated with the positive lead. I'm not sure what you mean by rebuild the packs. Disassemble and parallel each cell first and then re-attach the balance leads again in series?

Again, even with trying to balance a single brick, it was discharging the weakest cell.

After going for a ride, I shuffled the order of the bricks to average out the voltages and I am down to 15mV gap. Also, now I am trying to balance at 70% capacity and the weakest cell(s) are no longer being discharged. Perhaps it gets confused at higher voltages.

I will try a charge again and see if the problem re-occurs. I think I will have to be very patient. After 1 hour, I only managed to drop 1mV on 3 cells. If that is any indication, it will be 15 hours to eliminate a 15mV gap! Must be a very low discharge current.

You NEVER balance at 70% SOC. always balance at fully charged... No wonder you're having so much trouble.

And yes it is best to actually parallel individual cells first. I don't know if that is common on ES with Lipo.. I have never owned a big Lipo pack. Maybe the same thing can be achieved if you just parallel the balance wires... But if one block has lower internal resistance than the other.. They will not discharge evenly.

Sarcasm aside, I understand that voltage at 70% SOC does not accurately reflect state of charge and that balancing here may cause further imbalance at full SOC where it really matters. That being said, I was investigating the balancer behavior, rather than trying to balance my pack. I'm coming to the conclusion that I have a bad charger rather than user error as you are inferring. Tried the overnight balance. All cells discharged fairly evenly so I was no closer to balanced after the fact. Tried a balance charge on a single 6s brick and charger stayed at 0amps for half an hour with no change in voltage gap (it was as done as it was going to get I believe). After that tried the balance function on the single brick at 99% SOC with all cells being discharged evenly. To note, the charger itself shows little blinking squares next to what it thinks it is discharging and the low cell does not have the square so it doesn't seem like a firmware issue. Yet the software graph shows the lowest cell dropping evenly with the other cells. On top of this, same pack shows a 22mv difference on a cell when in port A vs port B.

Time to buy external balancers I guess.

I doubt it's your charger. The Hyperion likes to bring all the cells except one down to a certain voltage, then bring them all up to the highest cell together. Sometimes it will hang.. It's happened to me. I assume it's because it gets stuck in a loop when one cell is too low or just strange circumstances. Ive seen the hyperion charge and discharge the same cell for an extended period of time, oscillating around a certain voltage range...I've tried balancing for 8 hours before and still ended up having to get them closer manually before charging. Once u cycle the pack a few times and top balancing every time the issue will go away

If you think it's the charger and it's not under warranty, buy another charger from all eRC, wait a few weeks, then say it broke. They don't track serial numbers. They are the us dealer. I had one Hyperion swapped (on my third). One of them is exhibiting issues so I may swap a second. When you pay $110-200 for a charger, you have to reason with yourself and don't let the system beat you.

good news, guys. Hyperion releaed firmware 5.82 recently... it allows for cell level internal resistance measurement (in other words-- you get a reading of resistance for each individal paralleled group of cells instead of just the whole pack). I am excited to try this out. My friend has a problematic 10kWh motorcycle battery that we were abotu to cycle...

This update should be helpful. I read elsewhere that the accuracy may be within 20% which isn't too bad. The idea is to log the pack when new, then note any changes.. so should work well.

Hi,
I have the 1420i for a week now, I'm really enjoying lots of options and settings, just how I like :mrgreen:

Just one thing, the max discharge rate is not enough, I want to discharge my A123 20AH at 30A.

I was wondering If I can use the 1420i as a monitor. Say i put load across the cell that will draw 30A
and set the charger to discharge at some rate, will i see 30A discharge + discharge rate or i get error message ?

Michael

hillzofvalp said:
good news, guys. Hyperion releaed firmware 5.82 recently... it allows for cell level internal resistance measurement (in other words-- you get a reading of resistance for each individal paralleled group of cells instead of just the whole pack). I am excited to try this out. My friend has a problematic 10kWh motorcycle battery that we were abotu to cycle...

This update should be helpful. I read elsewhere that the accuracy may be within 20% which isn't too bad. The idea is to log the pack when new, then note any changes.. so should work well.

FYI, I updated my software and firmware to 5.82. Seemed to work, although I haven't actually charged a battery or tested the cell IR logging yet.

EDIT: Tried a charge. Couldn't figure out how to monitor individual cell IR. Couldn't get it to charge WHILE balancing. It did do a regular charge.

EDIT: Balance charging works. To monitor individual cell IR, just hover your mouse over the "Pack Ri" window.

hillzofvalp said:
One of my hyperions has a blown serial to USB board so I have to open it up and bypass it with USB serial cable first..

Can you please check that IC number out that i needed a while back still havent been able to find it yet :)

thanks

Wayne

Scruffoid said:
I have already asked this in a seperate post but seeing i am really desperate for soem help and most people in here are using the 1420i can i please ask a favour.

Can someone open there charger up and take a look at teh IC labeled G3 and tell me the IC number on it so i can try and repair my unit please.

it just underneath where the two case fans are plugged into the board and above C108 and the only crystal on the board.

thanks

Wayne

Woot Thank you so much for this.

Will order one now from Rs or Farnells.

there is still times when I would like to have the hyperion going again. In particular i have an RC plance that uses a 2S 200mAh battery that can only be charged at 4C so being able ot program that into the Hyperion for charging would be awesome.

Wayne

I've found that the cell resistance measurements work fairly well on this charger. It all really depends on how well your balance leads are terminated. I have hardwired 4 ft of 18 gauge directly to the board.. I think the helps. Those JST are annoying for big packs.

Hi Guys just wondering if someone can confirm that this is a safe way to charge my 24s2p setup with my Hyperion eos 1420i net3. I'd like to leave all the packs in the bike and simply connect to two taps & charge half then connect to the other two taps & charge the other half.. ? Ultimately I'd like to finish the two halves off with a multi plug each so I just got to plug in twice and that's it.

Any advice is greatly welcomed!!

Thanks

Jon

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 3,193
That will work, but you could charge them all at once if you break the back in the middle and charge as 12s4p. You'd also get a better balance that way. That's how I charge my 24s2p setup.

here's my 24s3p pack made from 12 4s packs. The extra balance wiring is the plug adapters I made to turn 3 4s plugs into 2 6s plugs so I could use the cheap 4s packs forever.
mgb1.JPGView attachment 3mgb3.JPGmgb4.JPGmgb6.JPG

I'm trying to balance my bricks for the first time and it might be doing something a bit weird.

It is currently showing the cells as
3.98 3.92 3.98 3.97

My understanding of balancing would be that it drops the higher cells down to match the lowest one?
But it seems to be dropping all 4 cells. As in, previously they were showing as
3.99 3.93 3.99 3.98

When its balancing in balance mode, arrow down until it shows all the cell voltages. Should be a flashing dot besides the ones it draining. balancing takes a long time sometimes. Especially if you have a weak cell in the pack.

wesnewell said:
When its balancing in balance mode, arrow down until it shows all the cell voltages. Should be a flashing dot besides the ones it draining. balancing takes a long time sometimes. Especially if you have a weak cell in the pack.

Thanks, Wes. That all makes sense, it's just that the lowest cell voltage that doesn't have the flashing dot next to it still drops in voltage slowly.

Guess it will take a few days to balance a 30Ah 12s pack for the first time.

Rutiger said:
[Thanks, Wes. That all makes sense, it's just that the lowest cell voltage that doesn't have the flashing dot next to it still drops in voltage slowly.

Guess it will take a few days to balance a 30Ah 12s pack for the first time.
Sounds like a sign of one or more weak cells if it drops much while balancing. And yes, it will take a long time to balance a 30ah pack if they are out of balance much. And a lot longer if you have a cell or cell group self discharging. It may not ever balance. You should weed the bad cells out. I'd balance each pack individually to check for weak cells.

Back