5" or 6" pneumatic wheels.

psychotiller

10 kW
I really want some 5" pneumatics...Are there any good places to buy some? I am having a hard time finding a retailer.

They have road ski wheels, skike wheels and a few others that are 6" most don't fit onto regular longboard trucks. Maybe, the skike w/ a different set of bearings. Although, each of these wheels range from $40 to $50 each x 4 equals about $200 for a set of wheels. Pretty pricey. I've been looking for some other options but no luck so far. I also want them to fit on regular longboard trucks and not have to use MBS trucks. I want a hybrid :)

Regular MBS 8" are about $100-$140 so they are way cheaper but they don't fit on regular longboard trucks. Beetbocks has his urban commuter post in which I think he used skike wheels. It's an awesome setup just pricey.

If we get ten people wanting the 5 inch 3 piece wheel that beetbocks make, he could maybe order a batch. You still have to get the rubber tires from skike because suppliers wont sell them.
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=55843&start=25

Jan Christian said:
If we get ten people wanting the 5 inch 3 piece wheel that beetbocks make, he could maybe order a batch. You still have to get the rubber tires from skike because suppliers wont sell them.
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=55843&start=25

A set of the Skike 5" wheels,tires, and tubes would be $164 to my doorstep. I'd be in on a beetbocks group buy if he were under $225 for a full set up. Is that possible though with billet?

torqueboards said:
I also want them to fit on regular longboard trucks and not have to use MBS trucks. I want a hybrid :)

Me too! Thats definitely going to be my second build. Would using MBS trucks be too goofy?

Also, how would we have to reconfigure motor KV and gearing for 6" pneumatics/MBS wheels?

drmacgyver said:
Me too! Thats definitely going to be my second build. Would using MBS trucks be too goofy?

Also, how would we have to reconfigure motor KV and gearing for 6" pneumatics/MBS wheels?

I use my board mainly for commuting purposes - for my purpose there isn't much needed for 8" wheels and it would add to the bulkyness of transporting the board. I think 6" would be perfect IMO. If it was for fun I'd put on 8" MBS wheels. Also the fact that with standard longboard trucks and the size of the axle there isn't much space to add the MBS wheels. You can use SurfRod trucks and extend the axle 10mm's to accommodate for the MBS wheels.

As for gearing, you would configure the amount of teeth on the pneumatic wheel to accommodate for the size of the wheel aka changing the gearing ratio. You don't need to do anything for the KV unless you wanted to use a specific KV. The KV and wheel size affect the gearing ratio.

Mines for commuting too, but the roads are rough here. My legs feel a little jello-ish after riding from the vibrations (anyone else get this effect?). I've never actually seen a MTB in person, but the Beetbocks urban commuter looks perfect with it's size wheels, so I can understand what youre saying about MTB wheels = overkill.

I'm going to take some pictures along my commute of the different quality roads and posting them to a thread. I think we need a way to compare the roads our boards are being subjected to. It's one (important) variable that should be factored into our builds, as it definitely affects performance results. Im not sure if there's any way to measure this except for a visual comparison. The videos are helpful though! :)

drmacgyver said:
Mines for commuting too, but the roads are rough here. My legs feel a little jello-ish after riding from the vibrations (anyone else get this effect?). I've never actually seen a MTB in person, but the Beetbocks urban commuter looks perfect with it's size wheels, so I can understand what youre saying about MTB wheels = overkill.

I'm going to take some pictures along my commute of the different quality roads and posting them to a thread. I think we need a way to compare the roads our boards are being subjected to. It's one (important) variable that should be factored into our builds, as it definitely affects performance results. Im not sure if there's any way to measure this except for a visual comparison. The videos are helpful though! :)

Yeah, my roads are pretty bad too. I actually should switch to MTB wheels so I can go through potholes and curbs. I found some 6" x 1 1/4" Pneumatic Tires. I'll have to wait till Monday and maybe purchase a set to see if I can get them modified to fit standard longboard wheels. They are cheap though although I guess in the end - we'll have to pay about $40-$50 per wheel anyways.

I was a bit taken back by the price compared to traditional skate wheels, but I realize its just another investment needed for our situations. So anxious to see what it's like I'm ready to throw down some tokens! I'm over budget at this point anyways. lol

MBS has a complete 7" wheel for just under $20:

http://shop.mbs.com/accessories-14/mountainboard-wheels/complete-wheels.html

You would have to replace the bearing with regular 608 bearing that has an ID of 8mm. This one has 608zz with an ID of 9/9.5mm.
Even though its an inch bigger, it's still a better value than buying the tires,tubes and hubs separately.

EDIT: Psychotiller FTW

Longboard trucks are 8mm bearings 10mm spacing 8mm bearing = 26mm width or 1.02" height these are 1.25".

I was actually thinking if we can just grind down both ends of that caster wheel and mount it to a regular set of longboard trucks. I think it should be doable.

I can't wait for these granny wheels on my eboard. Grandma's going to be Hey! Those are my wheels. lol

Pedi - Do you know if the MBS need only a simple bearing swap or would the actual hub not fit around the axle of a longboard trucks.

Psychotiller - Nice find - Those look exactly like the ones that I found.

torqueboards said:
Longboard trucks are 8mm bearings 10mm spacing 8mm bearing = 26mm width or 1.02" height these are 1.25".

I was actually thinking if we can just grind down both ends of that caster wheel and mount it to a regular set of longboard trucks. I think it should be doable.

I can't wait for these granny wheels on my eboard. Grandma's going to be Hey! Those are my wheels. lol

Pedi - Do you know if the MBS need only a simple bearing swap or would the actual hub not fit around the axle of a longboard trucks.

Psychotiller - Nice find - Those look exactly like the ones that I found.

Woohoo! I'm going to order some this week as well.

torqueboards said:
...Pedi - Do you know if the MBS need only a simple bearing swap or would the actual hub not fit around the axle of a longboard trucks.

Good question! I tried them just now on my Original S10 trucks and the hub is wider. I guess you could use Surf-rodz or Rey trucks' extendable axle.
But I would still prefer the caster wheels over the MBS. Those tire threads on the caster's are better than the MBS.

Pediglide said:
Good question! I tried them just now on my Original S10 trucks and the hub is wider. I guess you could use Surf-rodz or Rey trucks' extendable axle.
But I would still prefer the caster wheels over the MBS. Those tire threads on the caster's are better than the MBS.

Haha.. good to know. Thanks for the insight. I guess, grandma's wheels need to be legit or someone's going to get a lawsuit and catch a case. Grandma's wheelchair can't slip on water or else.

I'll order a set of 4 as well on Monday and hopefully see if I can grind those down and find suitable bearings for them. Can't beat it for $80 bucks or so. Keep us updated psychotiller.

psychotiller said:
Woohoo! I'm going to order some this week as well.

Yay! So when is the river run gonna be?

Torque, aside from the bigger size of the wheel helping to eliminate the cogging start of brushless motors by gearing it down, I think the better traction of the rubber tires also helps with both smoother acceleration and "stopping."
Also, you can vary how much traction you like by changing the tire's air pressure. I like my front tires to have high air pressure so that it'll turn on a dime, and my back tires to have less so that it can be "slide-happy."

I have tried fitting standard Skike Kids wheels (125mm diameter)with a drive pulley and it worked perfectly but the hubs are too long to fit on a standard skate truck- the axle is not long enough ( or the wheel hub is too long) and the nut wont go on.. so back to the drawing board..
The bearing size is perfect and the price is good at $18 a complete wheel/tyre/tube/bearing...pity!!
I am considering making some axle extension pieces maybe..which could also incorporate the motor mount..
I have also made some 150mm wheels that fit the skike tyre (150mm)- but again the cost for production is ludicrous..

Skike kids 125mm
IMG_2068_zps7a9bf5c9.jpg

IMG_2069_zpsff66deea.jpg

IMG_2070_zps51933b3c.jpg

my 5" wheels -and these will fit a standard skate truck. but im going to fit them to a MBS truck -i think.. to give the width and clearance on a deck.
IMG_1960_zps045f710e.jpg

But for £18 for a complete wheel .. I'll just swap it , whole
hehe I use a lot of tires. In Norway its 29 pounds for a complete wheel. Thats to much for a student in the long run. I used to order 4 rubber tires from here for 16 euro: www.skike.com but its not allowed anymore.

Beetbocks - Will the bolt spacing on the gear of your flywheel hub adapter align with the holes on the skike wheels?

Back