New Bafang Crank-Drives

pjgold said:
Here is a picture of the frame pack rail it is simply bolted straight to the water bottle mounts through the slot in the best position for your frame.

Hope this helps.
Thanks!
Biggest and most embarrassing brain fart in recent memory. I guess the 60's were harder than I remember (forgot). :wink: n00bs when you need a laugh we're here to oblige.

Kepler said:
... all the 36V versions having the narrower motor with a higher kv and all the 48V versions having the wider (and heavier) motor with the lower kv.

So if my thoughts are correct, the 750W and 500W versions would be identical except for programming. Again, I don't know this for sure but I am 90% confident :)
I haven't seen a 48V 500W BBS02, could you have meant a 36V 500W BBS02? I think the 500W BBS02 has 7 turns and the 750W BBS02 9 turns based on this data sheet
file.php
and Keppler's previous advice the 48V BBS02 750 W unit has 9 turns at http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=50104&p=836773&hilit=wind#p836773 .

If, like me, you can't read chinese there is an english translation of the headings at http://www.tnabattery-ebike.com/?48V750W-Bafang-BBS01-02-crank-drive-motor-mid-motor-p197.html.

The relevant numbers are no load RPM for BBS02 36V of 120 RPM and no load RPM for BBS02 48V of 127 RPM. These are close to the same speed and if they have the same number of winds the ratio should be 0.75 as it is for the 36V BBS01 vs 48V BBS01.

shanman3us,

"So for the layman that means the lower cost cells will not last nearly as long (per charge and lifespan) even if they are taken care of and they can't supply the same amount of sustained power when there is a big load on them."

No. It is horses for courses. If you are going to run at 250 watts most of the time, pulling about .4C from the battery, the "frog" pack should hold up fine, and save money.

But if your plan to hammer at 750 watts most of the time, pulling about 1.3C from the pack, the "water bottle" pack would definitely be the way to go, for longer life, and at those high current rates, better performance...less voltage drop.

Personally, I'd go for the cheaper, lower power cells, and double the pack size to get the current capacity. But I like to go for long rides.

@warren...

OK, It is based on the C discharge rating of the cells. Alright. for me, I can't see how two complete frog packs would constitute 'stealth like' which is what I'm sorta goin' after. I most likely didn't mention that in my post. As it is the rear seat tube carrier and rear rack are usually very obvious and also put a lot of weight on the rear half of the bike. I do really like the down tube and triangle battery options just for the weight balance as well as the cleaner look. (at least according to my tastes)

Once I'm more comfortable with a kit in it's entirety I will start experimenting with LiPo cell packs. I could do that right now but I need to get my feet wet with the entire electric bike conversion first. I already am setup for charging and dealing with LiPo cells but want to do things in 'baby steps'.

Thanks for the clarification.

Shanman3us

shanman3us,

Yes, C rate. I wasn't really suggesting you get a "frog" pack, let alone two. In the triangle is definitely the best way to go. My choice would be the 25 Ah pack from Paul.

http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=123

But if you are only doing 10-20 mile commutes, and already have lipo, I would go with that.

Anyone have a size or the ability to size the lock rings?

Warren said:
shanman3us,

Yes, C rate. I wasn't really suggesting you get a "frog" pack, let alone two. In the triangle is definitely the best way to go. My choice would be the 25 Ah pack from Paul.

http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=123

But if you are only doing 10-20 mile commutes, and already have lipo, I would go with that.

Thanks Warren... I didn't even know that Paul made such a big pack. Thanks for the link 8)

Shanman3us

Is there anyone living in Canada that have ordered a battery pack from Paul @ EM3ev recently? My question is in relation to shipping. I understand from Paul that there are 2 shipping choices FedeX and TnT. I'm mostly interested in what the fees were that were charged on delivery. I know DHL charges an expensive brokerage fee along with a COD fee (for their brokerage fee) along with the expected applicable taxes and duties.

It's always been different here in Canada to receive shipments from China or Hong Kong compared to the USA. There are many in the US who swear by DHL and have received many shipments where they didn't even have to pay duty and taxes let alone a brokerage fee. I know that isn't the case here EVER in Canada.

I'm looking at one of his complete Lion packs at a weight of around 4 Kg's or just under 10 Lbs.

Who actually delivers to the door when it comes from either of the above mentioned 2 carriers? I live close to Vancouver in B.C.

Thanks, Shanman3us

shanman3us wrote: It's always been different here in Canada to receive shipments from China or Hong Kong compared to the USA. There are many in the US who swear by DHL and have received many shipments where they didn't even have to pay duty and taxes let alone a brokerage fee. I know that isn't the case here EVER in Canada.

I know those damn Mounties are on it aren't they. Canadians that visit our winery are terrified to bring back more than 2 bottles of wine...lol

I'm installing a BBS02 for the first time, and have run into a snag (see photo). There seems to be a gap between the fixing plate and the motor unit after being (seemingly) fully inserted into the BB. This is on a Norco Storm with 68 mm BB.

Is this normal?
image.jpg

I didn't have that issue with the BBS01 on a 68mm BB.

Kepler said:
Yes, completely normal. I have always needed to slot a washer or two in this space an every drive I have installed.

Thanks for the reassurance. It was a tight fit to get the drive unit into the BB, so I was afraid that I hadn't got it quite seated far enough, even though I thought it was in all the way. I didn't want to resort to the BFH to persuade it further into the BB.

Everything else with the kit seems to be going well. All wires are about a foot too long. I'm going to have to figure a way to hide them somewhere.

Hi Guys

I am from Germany and like to build up an electric bike.
Bike would a 26 MTB - full Suspension or Hardtail

My Favourites are Bafang CST HUB Motor or Bafang Mid Center BBS 002

We have restictions in Germany:
So i like to ride up to 30 km/h - with Power and some Muscle Engagement

Long Distance is important - so it shuld be a efficient system

Bike needs Ability to go up hill at slow speed

Is the BBS the right one?
What nomnal Power would be good 350 - 500 or even 750 Watt? Or it is not important at all? All three are not legal in Germany (just 250 W)

It is true, that there is no way for the Customer to set the controller up?

I would buy in China. German Dealer demands 700 Euro (1000 Dollar) and that ist a bit to much Addon for import service compare to China Price. Plus: German Dealer is not in my region.

Krakz said:
Hi Guys

I am from Germany and like to build up an electric bike.
Bike would a 26 MTB - full Suspension or Hardtail

My Favourites are Bafang CST HUB Motor or Bafang Mid Center BBS 002

We have restictions in Germany:
So i like to ride up to 30 km/h - with Power and some Muscle Engagement

Long Distance is important - so it shuld be a efficient system

Bike needs Ability to go up hill at slow speed

Is the BBS the right one?
What nomnal Power would be good 350 - 500 or even 750 Watt? Or it is not important at all? All three are not legal in Germany (just 250 W)

It is true, that there is no way for the Customer to set the controller up?

I would buy in China. German Dealer demands 700 Euro (1000 Dollar) and that ist a bit to much Addon for import service compare to China Price. Plus: German Dealer is not in my region.

The BBS01 & BBSO2 kits would work very well for your situation. I would personally recommend the 750W kit. They all look exactly the same so unless a cop turns your bike upside down to look at the stamp on the motor, no one will know if you have the 350W version or the 750W one. And besides that, with no big hub motor on the back, they are pretty stealthy.

As far as the controller is concerned, I recommend that you buy from em3ev and request that they program it for full throttle in all PAS modes and unlimited speed, even if you don't think you want to go over 30 klicks. While the software is available, no end user to my knowledge has been able to successfully alter the programming YET. Here is the thread for Programming the BBS0x kits:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58780

Thanks teslanv
i looked at em3ev - they are out of stock since 8 April -Hmm

Oky but they can programm the controller - would be nice - i woul like to have continous support in stepsm like 2a - 4A - 6A etc in PSA Mode

will see

Kepler said:
Yes, completely normal. I have always needed to slot a washer or two in this space an every drive I have installed.
I had to do exactly the same. ;)

Does anyone know if these kits are available with a left hand thumb throttle? EM3EV makes no mention. Or can they be purchased aftermarket? I assume a standard left hand thumb throttle would require some fiddling to connect, since the Bafang uses proprietary connectors...?

I actually just put the right hand thumb throttle on the left side.
The cable come out the wrong way, but the kit brake levers actually have an overhang that you can just wrap the cable thru to get it to the dash. My only problem was the four connector yoke running from the motor/controller was too long, so I literally wrapped the throttle and brake cables in and around the dash mount so all four connectors hang just in front of the stem.

I haven't found it awkward or uncomfortable in the slightest... Both the throttle and leave letting button device are on the left. I have an Alfine 8 shifter on the right.

I hear that left handed throttle are on the way, tho.

FYI.. For anyone wanting to custom program your BBS02 W/ C961, I can confirm that the program does indeed work.

USB to Serial TTL adapter and Jumper wires can be sourced locally for $20 give or take a few bucks.

Visit topic http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58780&start=25 to find out more. (Screenshots ect posted)

Just set my Pass Level zero to Limit Current to 100% and Limit Speed % to 100%.

I'm a very happy camper now!!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

pjgold said:
+1 I have the exact same set up, throttle on the left alfine shifter on the right.

The thumb throttle I got with my kit can be used on either the left or right side (Mar 14 production serial #). There is a groove on both sides of the clamp for the wire to reside in depending on what side it is mounted.

Back