Sourcing the Damn Parts

Dauntless

100 TW
FAFCPBFHO7X344E.MEDIUM.jpg

Unless I miss my guess there's a spur gear differential in there. Even if it isn't there's a kewl hub.

Sometimes I see things I can use when projects are posted online, but the people never say where they came from.

Is there something I'm missing about finding these parts?

FIJTLGPHO7XF45Z.MEDIUM.jpg

Can't even guess who makes the wheel in the second pic. But the first pic looks like a differential that I have seen on the Greenspeed Anura trike or quad. This is a recumbent manufacturer. I can't tell from your pic, but the Anura differential also has a mount on the other side of the disc brake for a gear cassette to mount to it.

We hoarders of ebike stuff snap things up when we run across it. I've been sitting on a differential a lot like that for 4 years now. :mrgreen:

Oh, I have stuff I haven't been able to use yet. Bigger than just finding those particular parts, I'm wondering at people who can just find what they need. It would be great to just have CATALOGS to look up what I could use.

All I had to do was poke around a little more on the same site and there she be. The fancy hub/wheel was on the same site as the cool differential. Couldn't find prices though,,,, hmm.
http://www.samagaga.com/Category.aspx?Category=HCWS

Tomas

John, you talk about hoarding stuff. I drew up my first recumbent electric assist trike back in 1984, and bought a Tecumseh riding lawnmower rear differential to use as my drive to the back end. I had that thing "waiting" in the garage for over 20 years before I put it together. It looks just like the Comet go cart differentials that I saw prevalent in the '90's. Works great! I used a 3/4" diameter shaft for that project, and I also bought a 1" diameter axle for some other "project X".

It's funny how on the site it says that the differentials (with the cassette or freewheel mount) that also have a disc brake compatible mount on the housing, says that you're not supposed to use the disc brake on the housing for braking. HUH? Why did they put it on there? It mentions that braking should be done at each rear wheel. Did I miss something? My Tecumseh differential works fine with the disc rotor I had made special to fit the bolt pattern holding the housing together. The rotor brakes the entire housing which stops both output axles from rotating. I don't see why that would not be the same case for the Samagaga differentials. Go figure.

And now I've got some parts that I've only had a year or so (so not really deeply archived) that I'm trying to sell,,, and not much interest in them. Maybe I need to wait 20 years before somebody says, "hey, that would work". It's all good!

Tomas

John in CR said:
We hoarders of ebike stuff snap things up when we run across it. I've been sitting on a differential a lot like that for 4 years now. :mrgreen:

It's that what's happening to my storage space? Damn!

I have enough to put together 4 bikes at the moment :shock:

Contes Engineering is the only USA distributor I'm familiar with. That's where I'd start asking if I was looking for single vehicle quantities.

My pedicab outfit looked at using these, but settled on the heavier, cruder and more widely available Peerless unit. We had too many questions about the Samagaga diff's ability to withstand a pedicab's high torque, didn't want to commit to using strange diameter axles, and couldn't be sure that those splined parts would remain available to us in the long run.

It's a much more elegant and nicely made diff than Peerless, though.

Ask Jerry at Samagaga. He will sell you what you need. I have posted a while back about their stuff with some pricing, thou it must be a year old: http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49547&p=732145&hilit=samagaga#p732145

P.S.
On the same note for sourcing the damn parts, i need to source tricycle wheel hubs with disc brake mounts that wont brake the bank. I need to build electric trike, electric only, no chain drive. I have some wheelchair single sided wheels but they don't have any brake mounts. Would appreciate for info
Perhaps someone knows cable operated brakes that are for both sides, left and right caliper?

Back