my new off road bike!

chill4x4saph

100 mW
hi again everyone.
just wanted to share a few pics of my latest build.

I built and designed it myself. its very similar in power and speed to my other bike but I wanted an off road one this time.

its a motenergy motor with a 400amp 48v alltrax controller running off 8 6s 8000mah lipos so its 44.4v and 32ah.

hope you like it!

Attachments

• 093.JPG
    093.JPG
    422.4 KB · Views: 11,990
  • 094.JPG
    094.JPG
    269.3 KB · Views: 11,990
  • 095.JPG
    095.JPG
    286.2 KB · Views: 11,989
  • 096.JPG
    096.JPG
    314.5 KB · Views: 11,988
  • 097.JPG
    097.JPG
    383.1 KB · Views: 11,988
  • 098.JPG
    098.JPG
    383 KB · Views: 11,988
  • 099.JPG
    099.JPG
    278.6 KB · Views: 11,988
  • 102.JPG
    102.JPG
    472.9 KB · Views: 11,988
  • 101.JPG
    101.JPG
    374.2 KB · Views: 11,988
  • 100.JPG
    100.JPG
    287 KB · Views: 11,987
  • 103.JPG
    103.JPG
    457.2 KB · Views: 11,990
Wow! Very nice work! I wish I had the welding skills to build my own frames.

I would love something like that for my daily commute but I would get nailed without pedals around here.

But, yeah, again, very nice. I love the shape of that frame.

awesome! one of the coolest builds if seen recently if not ever! definitely would be interested in seeing some footage of it! :D how does she handle/what is the weight? what motenergy motor are you running/what peaks/continuous current do you see?

also, would you ever consider building frames to sell? im sure many people would be interested, especially me! i understand if this is just for yourself i cant imagine the amount of time it takes to build such a frame

thank you all very much for your kind comments, its very good of you!!.

EVTodd,
its not so much my welding that's particularly good, more my skills with the grinder to clean them up afterwards!! haha!
to be fair its difficult to weld a frame that neatly with a mig as it moves so much with the heat, even with it in the frame jig I made ( see pics)
so you tend to have to do lots of little tack welds. I have recently bought a tig welder but I need to master it as at the min im just terrible at it!!!

craigh85
jansevr
it rides really nice on the lose stuff but just awful on the tarmac due to the tyres (evilbay bargins!!!, turns out they aint that much of a bargin!!), they make the wheels feel buckled but they are perfectly straight. EDIT!!, AFTER FURTHER TESTING I FOUND THAT BOTH TYRES WERE SPLIT IN THE WALLS AND CONSEQUENTLY SLIGHTLY BULGED, AFTER CHANGING THEM THE BIKE RIDES GREAT!!
no vids as yet as I only finished it yesterday, but as soon as someone comes out with me ill get a couple and post them up!, I do have one vid of it that I did to evaluate my swingarm, (it failed the evaluation as it had to much flex, so I scrapped it and made a sturdier one!), here is the link to the vid, I think its quite interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzCiAXP29E0

the weight is around 44-46kg with the batteries installed, ive not weighed it yet but when I do ill post the actual weight, that figure quoted is an educated guess.
the motor is an me0708.
I took the bike out for a run today to get some data, flat out its does 49-50mph, although I think I should gear it down a little really. I saw a peak of 16.6kw, the max amps it drew according to the CA was 392. at a constant 20-22mph over a few miles general road work it did around 37wh/mi, and was fluctuating between 0.6-0.8kw at that speed.

as far as making frames!!!!!, well im very flattered that anyone would even show an interest but to be honest the amount of work that took was a LOT, I wouldn't rule it out, but metalwork is only a hobby for me really, if I was to make 20-30 then maybe it would be worth investing the time and money to get set up to make some but as far as making a couple they would simply cost to much I think.

Attachments

• 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    307.1 KB · Views: 11,889
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    322.4 KB · Views: 11,889
midcitybikesbrla said:
What rear hub is this?

its a dmr revolver for use with a screw on single speed drive sprocket with the solid 14mm axle, but I made a mount so I can put it in the mill and I then mill thread off and drill and tap ten, m6 holes and make a sprocket boss so I can mount kart sprockets.
if I were making another it probably wouldn't be much more work to just make a full new hub in the lathe/mill

I love this bike. I want to build one. What kind of range do you get?

edit:

Just read through your thread again and noticed you measured around 37 wh/km on tarmac? I am curious about what a bike like this would get off-road. My daily commute is about 5 miles of offroad trail and 2 miles on road. Would you consider your bike setup a suitable for such a task? I am new to all this and would love some input on component selection for me to design from.

hi,

sorry for the length of time its taken to reply!, ive been busy of late with other things.

yes it would handle the off road/road duty very well indeed, I must admit ive not really taken much notice of its wh/mile consumption whilst off roading, im guilty of riding it pretty much flat out everywhere!!, my average wh/mile reading these days when not trying to get a sensible average reading is around 100-120 wh/mile!!!!..., but that is really pretty much flat out everywhere, and at that kind of pace im only getting 13-14 miles range.

the next time im out on it I will take notice and get back to you!

What are those dropouts on the swingarm? What size tubing did you use for the frame?

Any info on the charging setup that you are using on this beast? Does it balance/charge on the bike?

I HAVE TO BUILD ONE NOW. Your bike is badass!

That is one hell of a frame jig! Seems a shame to put that much effort into the jig to only build one frame.

Nice build BTW!

standfast said:
What are those dropouts on the swingarm? What size tubing did you use for the frame?

Any info on the charging setup that you are using on this beast? Does it balance/charge on the bike?

I HAVE TO BUILD ONE NOW. Your bike is badass!

hi, thank you very much!!, very kind of you to say.

I made both sets of dropouts on the mill, the first set are ally and were bolted to the swingarm but after watching the pov vids I decided they flexed to much so remade the swing arm with the new ones milled out of high grade stainless and they are welded.

the tubing is 20mm o/d with 1.5mm wall stainless steel.

my weak point is the electronic side of things so rather than get to complicated I just balance charge the batteries individually (two at a time actually on a hyperion eos720i) it actually charges the eight 6s 8000mah bats in around 2 and a half hours from flat, so not that bad actually!!, and at least they are always balanced, and I just monitor them with the cycle analyst, to be honest it works better fort me as I use the same batteries in my other two e bikes so that's why I make them all easy access so I can swap them out very quickly.

etard said:
That is one hell of a frame jig! Seems a shame to put that much effort into the jig to only build one frame.

Nice build BTW!

thank you!, and I know and actually if I were to do it again id probably just not bother making the jig, it worked as in it held the frame solidly, but the frame still came out in need of tweaking, it actually took me an hour or so to lever the frame out of the jig!!, it would have been no more work to make the frame and just pull it true after welding.
I did help with keeping the swingarm pivot in line though.

For what its worth, heating the frame with a torch as evenly as possible will usually relieve the tension of a newly welded component. The trick is to try and cool it slowly. Cinder blocks are cheap and can make a quick oven you can build around the jig. Then heat it up and enclose it inside the blocks to hold the heat. You can even feed the oven with a small burner and slowly drop the temps over an hour or so..

Back