Epik Whistler

I'm really not able to fix these damn disk brakes. I will have to go to a bike shop (eProdigy proposed to send me a gift card of $25). However, I found an interesting thing about the throttle. It´s linked with the mode (and there are 5 modes) so without any weight on the rear wheel and in mode 5, the speed went to an impressive 52 km/h !!!

Meanwhile, my experiments with wheel fairings were so positive that I constructed a better looking, more permanent one by duct taping coroplast to the front fender. Bill https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/q71/s320x320/10458376_647042495389382_5330403925409431672_n.jpg

fogman_white said:
I'm really not able to fix these damn disk brakes. I will have to go to a bike shop (eProdigy proposed to send me a gift card of $25). However, I found an interesting thing about the throttle. It´s linked with the mode (and there are 5 modes) so without any weight on the rear wheel and in mode 5, the speed went to an impressive 52 km/h !!!
WOW, sounds like you got lucky with your j-lcd controller. They usually can only go as high as 40 but 52 is phenomenal. The 350 watt motor will only pull up to 46 on my bike but you may be lighter than I am. Your J-LCD is a bit of good luck to compensate you for the bad brakes. That is the wonderful thing about eProdigy, the bikes have almost infinite potential for adjustment and modification. Bill

I had the prototype 450 watt motor installed in my bike this morning. It comes with a more modern lcd panel which has a lot of extra functions such as battery voltage indication, temperature sensor, instant watt usage readout and, best of all, the maximum speed can be set for a whopping 72 kilometres per hour. I will write more of a review and be able to answer questions once I get more experienced with it.
The power characteristics are somewhat different, there is a speed sensor only which seems to kick in just by walking the bike but the assist level can be set to zero which prevents this. The power comes on very slowly and subtly but is definitely greater; the throttle response especially is much improved. Right now I am charging the battery and waiting for the rain to stop. Back later, Bill.

fogman_white said:
That's amazing! Could it fit on current Whistler model?
Yes, it will fit on any eProdigy bike but they do not know the exact price yet. The sun is shining and I will be testing all day. Bill

WASYLBRYTAN said:
I had the prototype 450 watt motor installed in my bike this morning. It comes with a more modern lcd panel which has a lot of extra functions such as battery voltage indication, temperature sensor, instant watt usage readout and, best of all, the maximum speed can be set for a whopping 72 kilometres per hour. I will write more of a review and be able to answer questions once I get more experienced with it.
The power characteristics are somewhat different, there is a speed sensor only which seems to kick in just by walking the bike but the assist level can be set to zero which prevents this. The power comes on very slowly and subtly but is definitely greater; the throttle response especially is much improved. Right now I am charging the battery and waiting for the rain to stop. Back later, Bill.

When I reported my observations to the company they reminded me that I was only testing the first prototype and what I notice may or may not be consistent with the production model. So, I will answer all questions to satisfy curiosity but keep in mind that the final production model will possibly be quite different. Bill

Hi !

I took the specs from eProdigy website and I added my observations...

Max Motor Speed: 32km/h (as limited by controller) – can be set up to max 40 km/h with pedaling
Speed Range: Up to 45 km (varies with terrain and pedaling) at level 1, between 20 km and 25 km at level 5/only with throttle
Battery: Lithium rechargeable, 37V, 8.8 Ah, 6 hours to fully recharge, battery lose around 2.75% per 24 hours if not used. To fully recharge the battery at 100% if completely discharged = 360 minutes.
Weight: 21 kg (2.5 kg is battery weight)
Frame: Al alloy, high quality MTB frame (18" frame)
Tires: 26" x 1.95" Kenda (Hybrid/slick), 26x1.95 K857 (MTB)
Wheels/Spokes: High quality double walled rims, stainless steel spokes
Brakes: Tektro Mechanical Disc Brakes
Rear Gears: Shimano Alivio 8 speeds
Front Fork: SR Suntour XCT, 80mm Travel Suspension front fork
Handlebars: Al alloy - Flat bar
Chainwheel: eProdigy chainring, 42T
Chain: KMC Chain
Saddle: Velo Saddle
Grips: Velo Ergonomic Grips
Stand: Alloy Side kickstand
Motor Type: Brushless DC Motor, 36V
Output Power: 350 W
Control Panel: King-meter led 790 / J-lcd, CR2032 3V
Assistance Mode: 1/2/3/4/5 + throttle
Rear Cassette: Shimano 8 Speeds Cassette 11/32T
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Alivio 8 Speeds Derailleur
Total Width: 600 mm (or less)
Wheel Base: 1100 mm
Includes a bell, wheel reflectors and a rear reflector

And some stats about the throttle...

I just passed 20,000 kilometres today, 487 days from January 16, 2013. I had 19,036km on the 350 watt engine and the rest is on my 450 watt prototype. My testing has approved it for production and my prototype will be replaced by a production model as soon as they come in. I was told they will possibly have some by the end of next week. When I actually have a production model, I will review it and give all the details. Bill

Got new issues today... The throttle is dead and on standby, the motor has hiccups (so if I put the bike on kickstand, the bike will fall down). I will check all connectors...

fogman_white said:
Got new issues today... The throttle is dead and on standby, the motor has hiccups (so if I put the bike on kickstand, the bike will fall down). I will check all connectors...
I'm sorry to hear that. I can't help because I have never had a similar issue. However, email or phone Melody and she will do what she can to take care of you. Meanwhile, the issues I have been having with my battery have cleared up and I just rode 80km on a single charge at an average speed of 20km per hour. This is as good as I ever got from the smaller motor, which is amazing, the watt meter probably enables me to ride more carefully and squeeze extra range from the battery. Bill

I really don't know what happened... I have no problem to use it with pedalling but the throttle is really dead and the motor is "possessed" when on kickstand. Check my youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R_va8Er4-M (around 1:15 and 2:00).

fogman_white said:
I really don't know what happened... I have no problem to use it with pedalling but the throttle is really dead and the motor is "possessed" when on kickstand. Check my youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R_va8Er4-M (around 1:15 and 2:00).
Contact Melody, she will do everything she can to fix your problem. Bill

My motor is possessed !!! It worked again and I touched nothing. Really weird... Anyway, we'll see how long it works. I changed the kickstand for a double... Not perfect for speed 1-2 (the chain barely touch the kickstand) but the rest is fine. It's useful to test the throttle ;)...

I'm guessing everyone is out biking as this thread has gone quiet. Have enjoyed reading all 10 pages of this thread..holy lots of info. I've just purchased the Banff as I'm a squirt and none of the other bikes really fit me. Looking forward to trying it out and maybe getting fit while I'm at it.

Is everyone still liking their eProdigy bike?

Tessa

Hi Tessa,

like Bill, I had some issues with my Whistler but eProdigy offered a very good service. I ordered my bike at the end of April and I received it the following week. As I'm not in Vancouver area (Ottawa), I had to assemble the whole bike by myself. The brakes were difficult to adjust and some spokes were a little bit loose but I went to a bike shop and they fixed it (oh, and also, they inverted the brakes because the front brake was on the right hand and etc - I guess it's because it came from China). After 4 weeks, everything was going well until I had some strange vibrations with the motor and a loss of power. I put a video on youtube to show the problem to eProdigy and they sent me right away a new motor within 2 days! It's not complicated to change the motor by yourself (just need to good tools and there's a video on youtube on eProdigy channel). The new motor is quieter and smoother. I only had the chance to do a single ride (yesterday) so we'll see this week how it goes (I use this bike as my commuter so 32km each day in all weather conditions).

If the bike can last for 3-4 years, I would say that it was a good choice so we'll see... Except for the motor (same 350w), the Banff is really different compared to the Whistler. You will already have the fenders installed with the panier. The Whistler came with special fenders and it was a pain to find complete fenders to fit on the bike (for a complete protection under rain conditions) with a suitable rear rack (the Whistler has disk brakes and a front suspension without the holes). Even if the price is higher, I would definitely recommend the Logan for a commuter. For leisure, I would recommend the Banff or the Jasper (but I think this model is more focused for commuters). For off-road, I would recommend the Whistler but the front suspension is low quality so you might have to change it for a sram or rock shox for better performance...

Gadgetessa said:
I'm guessing everyone is out biking as this thread has gone quiet. Have enjoyed reading all 10 pages of this thread..holy lots of info. I've just purchased the Banff as I'm a squirt and none of the other bikes really fit me. Looking forward to trying it out and maybe getting fit while I'm at it.

Tessa
This thread is far from being dead, we are just all out riding. My first test ride was on a Banff and I loved it. It is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden and is an excellent commuter. David Suzuki rides one. But I got $400 off on a Whistler show bike sitting in the store so I bought it. Next month will be my 18 month anniversary of ownership and I have 23,000 km. on it. It still runs like new after the equivalent of about 6 years of riding. Bill

WASYLBRYTAN said:
Gadgetessa said:

Tessa
This thread is far from being dead, we are just all out riding. My first test ride was on a Banff and I loved it. It is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden and is an excellent commuter. David Suzuki rides one. But I got $400 off on a Whistler show bike sitting in the store so I bought it. Next month will be my 18 month anniversary of ownership and I have 23,000 km. on it. It still runs like new after the equivalent of about 6 years of riding. Bill

Hi Bill,

I never said the thread was dead I actually said I guessed you were all out riding :) Just wanted to check everyone was still enjoying their bike. I'm still waiting for mine, it's being built up for me by an eProdigy dealer so am lucky I have that fairly nearby. Unfortunately they sent the incorrect charger with the bike so I'm having to wait until a new one comes in. Was really hoping to be out riding on it this weekend. Oh well I'll get it eventually.

fogman_white said:
Hi Tessa,

The Whistler came with special fenders and it was a pain to find complete fenders to fit on the bike (for a complete protection under rain conditions) with a suitable rear rack (the Whistler has disk brakes and a front suspension without the holes). Even if the price is higher, I would definitely recommend the Logan for a commuter. For leisure, I would recommend the Banff or the Jasper (but I think this model is more focused for commuters). For off-road, I would recommend the Whistler but the front suspension is low quality so you might have to change it for a sram or rock shox for better performance...

I'm really short and the only bike that I could fit was the Banff so I didn't really have a choice in which bike to get. That being said I will just be riding it for leisure and the occasional shopping trip to my local Safeway. What to people do when you are shopping with your bikes? I know it may seem a stupid question..probably is but having owned regular bikes all my life I'd feel so nervous leaving it anywhere that I couldn't see it.

Gadgetessa said:
fogman_white said:
Hi Tessa,

The Whistler came with special fenders and it was a pain to find complete fenders to fit on the bike (for a complete protection under rain conditions) with a suitable rear rack (the Whistler has disk brakes and a front suspension without the holes). Even if the price is higher, I would definitely recommend the Logan for a commuter. For leisure, I would recommend the Banff or the Jasper (but I think this model is more focused for commuters). For off-road, I would recommend the Whistler but the front suspension is low quality so you might have to change it for a sram or rock shox for better performance...

I'm really short and the only bike that I could fit was the Banff so I didn't really have a choice in which bike to get. That being said I will just be riding it for leisure and the occasional shopping trip to my local Safeway. What to people do when you are shopping with your bikes? I know it may seem a stupid question..probably is but having owned regular bikes all my life I'd feel so nervous leaving it anywhere that I couldn't see it.

I'm afraid the possibility of theft is an occupational hazard and each area has its protocols in that respect. We are pioneers and eventually the world will be at peace with our advancements. Bill

The thing is, your battery needs a special key to be lock/unlock (so an additionnal problem for thieves). Another thing to mention is that electric bikes are usually (for now) less attractive than regular speed carbon bikes (unless you have a Stromer or a Turbo). Still, I use a kryptonite u-lock and I don't leave it outside overnight.

The small monitor LCD can't be removed (but at the same time, a thief would need to unscrew the monitor, remove the cable and cut the tyraps so useless). Additionnaly, your bike doesn't have disk brakes so your wheels are less attractive to thieves. Of course, I think you should remove your panier...

I found this funny/interesting video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryY-qMFLcfo. It can give you good tips on how to efficiently lock your bike and what to avoid...

fogman_white said:
The thing is, your battery needs a special key to be lock/unlock (so an additionnal problem for thieves). Another thing to mention is that electric bikes are usually (for now) less attractive than regular speed carbon bikes (unless you have a Stromer or a Turbo). Still, I use a kryptonite u-lock and I don't leave it outside overnight.

The small monitor LCD can't be removed (but at the same time, a thief would need to unscrew the monitor, remove the cable and cut the tyraps so useless). Additionnaly, your bike doesn't have disk brakes so your wheels are less attractive to thieves. Of course, I think you should remove your panier...

I found this funny/interesting video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryY-qMFLcfo. It can give you good tips on how to efficiently lock your bike and what to avoid...

Excellent tips, thanks for the video, that guy is hilarious but he definitely knows his stuff.

Good to know about the LCD was a bit worried about that. Would prefer that is was removable but knowing me I'd forget to take it off that one time and someone would steal it so probably better it's not.

I'm thinking of getting a Banff. I test drove one the other day and loved it. Can anyone with a Banff tell me of their experiences?
I think I might wait till spring 2015 when it will be a 450 watt motor. Will all eProdigy bikes be 450 watt next year?

Mo Sizlak said:
I'm thinking of getting a Banff. I test drove one the other day and loved it. Can anyone with a Banff tell me of their experiences?
I think I might wait till spring 2015 when it will be a 450 watt motor. Will all eProdigy bikes be 450 watt next year?
I am the tester for the 450 watt motor and I have the only one on my Whistler. There is some unknown delay in getting the production motor sent over here. The staff have not given me any information even though I am supposed to get the first one when they arrive.
The Banff was the first test ride I had on one of their bikes and I found it the most comfortable bicycle I have ever felt. It had plenty of power and the only reason I didn't buy one was that it was a bit small for me. I think you will be happy and satisfied with the less powerful motor. Bill

Back