Boat ESC - success Only works for me though.

I use the program cards. It is worth it. I think trying to figure out the beeps and what the current settings are confuse too many people. Sounds like you don't have the brakes on at all. It doesn't make as much noise as the car ESC. Are you bench testing it? If you are using the remote to program it, I think it should be one beep, one beep.

Sorry for the insistent questions.. it's just that after 40 days shipping i refuse to admit it's broken.. :shock:
If you were moving at a speed that would allow you to coast 50 feet... and you pulled the brakes would you brake in 48 feet, 25 feet or 10 feet...
Basically im braking and get the same equivalent 50 feet (or 48 where the differece is too small to actually gauge)
In the beep beep menu im getting forward with brake, i actually tried it on setting 2 and 3 just to see if it was incorrectly stated..
man...
got two of them will try the other one see what i get... :evil:

What does it do on the bench? Does the motor stop when you hit the brake? It should instantly quit spinning. Make sure you calibrate your remote with the esc, that could be a factor. The braking is much lighter than a car ESC. It isn't abrupt which is what I like, comparable to soft braking or heavy drag brake on a car ESC. On steep hills it will slow me down enough to hop off at any time, but doesn't always completely stop me.

Its the same for me. On low speeds it doesn't do anything. At higher speeds like going downhill i notice a tug when i brake. High speeds being 10-12 mph.. I am still a beginner ;)

Hi guys
On the bench.. being my lap lol... it slowsndown but it does actually stop immediately. ..Im going out for and will test itvat higher speeds..
See if I see a diff there
Ill also connect the other one and see if this is just a dud

Couls you also test what happens if you go full speed -> to neutral -> and start accelerating again? My board with dual boat esc has the tendency to stutter and throw me off when I go to neutral and accelerate again. To avoid this i always keep on a little throttle. If i go to neutral on accedent while driving i have to make a full stop and start up again. Very annoying . Both my esc's do this, so i dont think its a malfunction.

HI

Boat ESC Fail..
I get Dodgys same cogging effect when i release the trigger.. tried all the timing options and punch options to see if it would clear.. it does not... it will throw you off the board...
I never got it to brake either and with reverse activated (in both settings) the movement is sort of iffy... Does not feel safe at all.
Think I might have burned my 5060 motor a bit as I saw some smoke comming out...

Same battery pack, same board, same motor, same remote, plugged in my hobbywing 150.. and the thing flew and ran and braked perfectly....
So there ends my boat ESC experience.. will clock in another 15 kms on the board using my trusted hobbywing to see if i really burned the motor or if it is just dirty... (hey Im an optimist) and will redisign and replace (as in place again) all the components to fit the hobbywing.. bummer though

Well I didn't really need those 80 bucks anyway.. and the 40 day wait just flew bye.... :(

Edit.. will have to update mu current build to 150 amp hobbywing instaed of 90 amp boat esc...

Thats bad news :( I was hoping i was the only one with problems and they could be fixed! The hobbywing is the way to go then? It is supposed to better then the hobbyking right?

Hi dodgy.
Actually I just ordered a hobbyking 150...
Just to see what it can do...I believe it will be aproximately the same as the hobbywing, its just that it was backordered so i figured i'd give it a try..
ON the only happy note of the day..the 5060 motor seems fine.. pulled 65 amps going 38 kph on flats and a range of 13.5 km somewhat agressive riding of a 5200 mah 6s... Told you it was just dirt... :D Pulled 35 amps going up an overpass 10% incline (5 meters high 50 meter long ranp) at about 25 kph LOL... people looked at the board then at me then at the board..LOL No magnets have fallen off yet.. the motor does seem louder than the tacon... specially when braking... but it's sort of cool cause people get out of the way..

Done with the boat esc's for now :(

In the topsy turvy world of internet electric skateboard shopping I have uncovered a gem. I'll be returning, or better yet, no accepting my hk package. And a thank u to the hk chat guy who advised me to do so. I imagine I'd normally have to pay shipping. But maybe it doesn't have to go back to china. Lot of shipping.

So the tacon is quieter? I appreciate that but...don
't remember which video I saw it in...people are using the loud brake warning pedestrians on the sidewalk!? Not for me. What's the quietest, best-tested motor pair n esc you can vouch for? The scorpion motors look damn cool and I'd be maybe happy w one

Lol how many returns is that so far... :D

Beto,
I'm still curious what is happening with the ESC. Do you mind posting a vid of it? I'm wondering if its a quality control issue with those or what. I had a 30a version that didn't even beep when plugged into the battery. I've had a few warranty issues with HK and they have been pretty good about things. I also had a bad 150a car ESC that didn't work. Got dinged on the shipping, but usually got a full refund for the product. They'll ask you to post a video of it not working. Don't have it hooked up to your board! If you ordered two did the other one do the same thing?
I don't want to recommend them to anyone if people are having issues. I honestly haven't had any, and found it to work just as well as my HK and Hobbywing car ESC - besides the braking. Throttle response was the same and heat has never been an issue. I set my car escs on soft brake anyhow. I still need to wire up the 120a boat ESC to see if its any different. I was going to do that yesterday, but rode my ebike and eboard instead. Still have a Heli ESC sitting on my desk too. If HK warranties it and you don't like using it, tear it apart and post some pics of the controllers inside. They are supposedly made by Flier, who makes the eskate ESCs. There was someone on ES that mentioned the components are mostly the same on the ESCs, just flashed with a different firmware.
Maybe I'll get a vid up to show how mine works.

I know I keep returning things. If alien had been quicker I would've had it and not gone into the boat trials. Two motors and two boat 90s just came (I thought if have to sign for them but I guess just leaving them is acceptable) and I'm sending them back...unless anyone is in sf ca area and wants a deal on the motors and 90amp esc. And charger n (4) 3s 5ah batteries. I'm getting close to what I want though.

My mamba monster2 esc paired with a turnigy g160 is pretty quiet. Even the braking isn't bad.
I have a EZrun pro 150 esc paired with a Tacon 160 and it's quiet too, but the braking is a little noisy. Both of these are 6s.

Here's a vid of the 90a ESC on the bench. I should do this more often. Took 30 seconds and didn't take a thousand words to paint a picture.
[youtube]pTRQwKqy-UI[/youtube]

I just saw the price on the HK 150a ESC. I could swear they were like $55 or something a year or so ago, now $68 from the US warehouse. For that price I'd go with the Hobbywing. Of course they are likely higher now. I got a few for $70 a while back, the website is currently blocked with my AVG software, so don't know pricing there. $85 shipped on Banggood though.
Beto are you using the US warehouse to ship to Panama or do you have to use international?

320kv! You must fly, eh? How's the motor temperature after a 10min or so run?
Glad to hear the 90a is still going strong. I'm going to get the 120a version of yours when the time comes to get a second.

Here is my video. Notice the strange movement when starting up slow. The same happens when i go to neutral, then try to accelerate again while riding. Its a 90A boat esc on 3S.

[youtube]uT6AyYq_hnU[/youtube]

hhmm that is something I haven't tried yet. I will try and hookup a 6S battery and see how it runs!

Hi Dirk
Will try to post a vid... did not even try tue the second eec since I had doub5s thatbi had burned my motor...
My coggingbwas very similar to what dodge had on his board. .mine was 6s...
No sweat though. .. im sure I'll find some use for them innsome other non longboard proyect... 8)

Does anyone notice a roughly half-second delay between pressing the trigger and the motor moving? I bought the Birdie ESC 125a, and it seems to have a slight delay which is pretty annoying. When I take the trigger off, it keeps on spinning for another half-second. Also since it is a Birdie, it does exactly what Krisbo described. It has a brake, but applies it right when the trigger goes to the neutral position. So, I keep mine off and coupled with the lack of brakes and the additional delay, this board isn't safe for me. Luckily, this was just an experiment and I won't actually be riding with this ESC very often.

Also if anyone else buys a Birdie, make sure to dissect it before putting electricity through it. There were little balls of solder rolling around mine that could have caused a short.

Tried my second boat esc and although still 0.0000% brakes.. however the annoying high speed to low speed and back to high speed cogging has not appeared. It satrted rainaing a couple minutes ago so I was unable to test it at full throttle but so far have seen none of the horrible cogging present in my other esc.. there are however no brakes.. sp i guess i have a cool footbrake board for fooling around.. on flats and low speeds...

spoke too soon.. after about half an hour of soft riding and fooling around coggiang appeared.. tried all timing resets.. direction, and other program options and could not get it to work... also they change directions and accelerate on their own with no aparent reason
so there ends my boat esc adventure.. :(
thing is they suck so bad they cant even be used in another ebuild lke an ebike or such..

Back