Dogmans Full Suspension Longtail Frankenbike.

Camping at white sands national monument is limited to one spot, and I think you need reservations. I've never asked about that plug, but I can imagine using it requiring an application form in triplicate. NPS. I just can't wait for them to make the entire area around my town a national monument. :roll:

I just proved I have the range to just ride in to Gordo though. I now have 25 ah of new or fairly new 48v. Plus 20 ah of really tired old cells. Or better still, trailer the bike to your house, then ride into the Lincoln. If it's not on fire that is.

Edit. On a ride to Wineboy's house, I asked about charging at WS monument. Defintiely NO. Wiring in the building from the WPA, 1930.

But there is a plug or two when you get to Alamogordo.

You know your welcome anytime here in Tulie Town Dan!
:shock:
Might actually ride aways with ya. Actually, you can camp at Three Rivers I know they have outlets there...

Dogman your my hero man. When I first got into e-biking I saw your signature that said 4500 miles ridden and I was jealous :mrgreen: and couldn't wait to log that many miles. Now I am well over 50.000 miles and have built a bunch of bikes but you still remain my hero for this epic build. I do a lot of cross country riding and hammock system by Eagles nest has been valuable. I just plug the bike in almost anywhere and charge. My Cargo build doesn't even compare.

Well you got me beat for miles by 5x now crash. I'm stuck since I got sick. Last year I had about 10,000 miles guesstimate. So many bikes, not all have had an odometer aboard.

But with my health getting a bit better, I'm riding again, especially this winter and spring. My CA on the cargo bike just turned 2000 miles, on the batteries I bought in early may last year. I hope to match that or beat it next year.

New motor on the cargo bike yesterday. I just bolted on a brand new 5305. Top speed now 25 mph instead of 30. But it climbs the mountain pass near my house much better. Despite 3 mph faster riding, I'm getting 4 wh/mi better efficiency. Takes off from a stop sign very nice now, no more grunting. Sounds like nothing, 4 wh/mi better. But on an 80 mile day, that's a lot more distance.

Also a few weeks back I added regen, so part of that improvement is from regen. In a 10 ah trip up and down a large mountain, I got nearly 4% regen, .4 ah worth. enough to go a mile more. Plus more on top of that in efficiency, at a faster speed!

Great thread. Another dumb question, how do you get regen? What device, motor, or?

Tom

Interesting thread. All very cool except the welding. A crap weld will NOT necessarily do for bikes. Unpenetrated, crystallized metal won't hold anything. Still, you're a heck of a brave soul to go for such a creative project without a good welding setup. I tend to be on the other end of that spectrum--a lot more gear, a lot less creativity.

I definitely can't weld for shit. That's an established fact. Pretty good welders struggle with my toy 110v welder too, so that doesn't help it any. I never took a welding class, just grab the wand and dab like a dork.

Fortunately, the design is such that I could pedal the bike around the yard before any welds were done. That's the only thing saving me.

The bike just got a crystalyte 5305 motor. So the bike has run on a muxus 2810, a clyte 5304, and just last week switch to slower wind 5305.

The regen is from a Lyens 12 fet controller. This controller was modified to run in two voltage ranges. 48v-72v, and 90v-120v. Running now on 48v. This controller has a jumper, connect it and regen is enabled. The on off switch for regen is a cheap horn button. So I don't have regen every time I grab brakes. But I can get regen only by pushing the horn button.

The battery handles regen with no problems, I run 25 ah of 20c lithium cobalt, so no bms or low charge rates to worry about.

Here is the regen thread about adding regen to the bike. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59411&p=888480&hilit=Horn+button+regen#p888480

FWIW, the Miller site has some good info/etc about how to weld, and there's some youtube vids on basic stick welding techniques, if you're interested. I don't have any links but they're easy to find--top few hits on google for "stick welding tutorial", IIRC. (or were a while back when I looked).

Some of hte miller stuff certainly helped me out, even with the crappy HF welder and it's various issues. :)

Thanks, I have done some reading, but have only burned a few sticks in my lifetime. Never really did any serious practice.

Rode the bike 2000 miles this year. One weld cracked soon after I built it, and I added a small chunk of metal to beef up the connection at the top. Still no hint of a problem where the dropouts weld to the bb of the rear frame. That 2000 miles this year did include washboard dirt roads, with a full load.

That cheap wire feed at your place was easy to use. When I had a nice miller welder at the house, I had little problems doing a good enough beginners weld. Nothing I welded back onto the truck broke off anyway. But the cheap stick welder I have now is very hard to use, even by very experienced welders. So much voltage sag, it's very hard to get started.

Worst of all, I doubt I'll ever really be able to see what I'm doing when welding. I'm too old now to see shit when using a saw now, let alone welding. But an auto darkening helmet will help too.

dogman said:
Worst of all, I doubt I'll ever really be able to see what I'm doing when welding. I'm too old now to see shit when using a saw now, let alone welding. But an auto darkening helmet will help too.
They've almost released those FLIR attachments for smartphones, seems like there should be one for welding. I use my phone camera to see stuff where its difficult to get my eyeballs close.

Which I'd still be unable to see so good. Old fart eyes.

did anyone ever make a frankenbike made of two whole bike frames?----one with the forks removed to fit on the other's seatpost? My goal in making a frankenbike like this is to have two working bike frames for touring and I can sell one and still ebike on. Extra luggage and easy to separate and leave the "trailer" bike at camp is bonuses. I will start a new thread when i get time to develop it more. I'm swamped. ES rules.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean but you could look at my CrazyBike2 thread linked in my signature--an early version I don't think I ever rode is probably pretty much what you are talking about. there's also something like that in my other semi-recumbent thread, link also in the sig.

You were running a rear X5304 in this for a while, wiht a 48V 40A controller, right?

How did you like it's accleration from a stop, when you were really loaded down?

I just got one (front 26"), and am working on getting it setup to put on CrazyBike2 (in place of the HSR3548) for some testing. I already broke some front dropouts on an alloy shock fork with it, just loading it by hand witha roll of paper towels.
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64279

It's now laced (partly) into an ex-Zero 20" rim, and doing a torque test with old sidepull caliper brakes on a BMX frame to try to lock up the wheel, I ripped the pads off the metal holders. :lol: that was at about 64A, on an old Methods 18FET that has an unknown current limit at this point. No idea what torque it actually put on there.

So...in your experiences with yours, how long do you think mine would last if I kept abusing it like that? (it's likely to see whatever max current I can pour into it for at least the startup from a stop on my work commute a dozen or two times).

And how fast do you think it might accelerate from 0-20MPH? (I'm not worried about going fast with it, just getting to the 20MPH as quickly as I can possibly do it)

And...do you have any ideas on how I might run a chain to it with the existing (short, front) axle, cuz I have figured out that there is not enough axle to be able to still put a nut on the end of it on the right side, if I also bolt a singlespeed freewheel assembly to the side cover the way I did with the front 9C some time ago. There'd barely be enough axle left to stick in the dropout itself; pretty sure nothing would stick ou tbeyond it! (I could clamp that end, but it'd be a pretty narrow seciton taking that torque).

The only ways I cna think of are to

--make a new side cover that replaces the old one
--modify the existing side cover so it has a "well" in it where the freewheel cover bolts on, so the actual freewheel just barely leaves clearance for chain width agianst ht side cover
--replace the axle entirely, using a hollow tube axle like Farfle did 2-3 years ago on a different motor.

My initial testing will be done without a chain, but I'd like to have one on there so that A) it's still a bicycle, and B) if I REALLY had to I could pedal it home (albeit in tiny increments over an hour or two).

amberwolf said:
And how fast do you think it might accelerate from 0-20MPH?
Well, it turns out to not really be much quicker than the HSR3548. But I suspect (haven't tested) that the X5304 would do it with a heavy load on the bike or trailer, whcih the HSR3548 can't. ;)

Back