Bafang/8fun BBS01/02 spare parts

samsavvas said:
More spares seem to be steadily becoming available for the BBS - this listing from the German Bike-Emotion site: http://www.bike-emotion.org/pedelec...ittelmotoren/ersatzteile-fuer-bbs01/index.php

I note that they are listing:
- a main shaft/gear assembly
- an 'EB-BUS' cable assembly
- a separately connected throttle
- both BBS01 and BBS02 controller assemblies.
The screw-tight collars on the connectors also seem to be a new feature - those on my own BBS01 purchased earlier this year are all of the push-fit variety.

Savvas.

Thx. Sav

So will a 500w 36V Controller works on BBS01 350W 36v?

I went to GBK thinking I'd make a small order to see just how they service their customers. I found them responsive to email, but never really providing direct answers to their shipping policy. For example, I ordered a BBS01 gear set, sensor extension cord, and lock ring kit. After a bit of thought I remembered that some else had been looking for and extension and it would be nice to get a $1.50 lock ring kit to send to my folks at Fastenal to see if there were solutions for the 73mm BB install. Was I surprised when I found that adding a $1.50 lock ring weighing just a few grams increased the shipping cost by $8. Adding a second cord doubled the order shipping. I also checked rates and did calculations and discovered that while there is an increase in cost it is nowhere near as substantial as the increases automatically added to the cart. I gotta say this EBike business model with GBK, the inability to reach other suppliers for days is a deal breaker for potential adopters. But thinking a bit harder, and after visiting all the local bike shops, Ebikes are a bomb, not the bomb, here and across much of America! What a shame!

EM3ev has replacement controllers BBS01 36v 18a, 24v 15a, and 20a. $80

This a replacement controller intended for the 36V Bafang BBS01, it can be used with either the 250W or 350W version BBS01, but is not suitable for the 36V 500W. As can be seen in the images, the controller includes a section of the motor housing and all connnections. It may be necessary to change the battery supply connections, it does not come with the molded waterproof supply connection. The connections, housing etc do add quite a bit of cost, so it is relatively expensive.The sealed PCB makes them rather difficult to do a DIY repair, so it is much more practicle to simply swap the controller section.

The standard settings are as follows:

18A rated.
LVC (low voltage cut) 30V, suitable for 36V battery. Not suitable for 48V.
Will be configured so the throttle gives 100% assist no matter which assist level is selected.
Number of assist levels are adjustable by the display.
Wheel size can be adjusted from the display.
Speed limit can be set via the display.
Bafang BBS01/02 Mid Drive Kit Manual: http://1drv.ms/1fdhZM2

Bafang C961 Display (for BBS02 Kit), which includes how to get into the settings and advanced settings menus to change various parameters:http://1drv.ms/1gSHNz5

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 12,371
$_57.JPG

These 104 BCD Custom Spiders for the Bafang BBS models has turned up on eBay for US$37.00. The seller is hi-powercycles and the item number is 121341300801.

Andrew

I hope I never have a problem that depends on apart from GBK! I made a smallish order to see for myself. Ebay sellers of several other items I've used are much faster.

Hi power cycles has some youtube videos of their ebikes. An American company.
This looks interesting -
http://www.hi-powercycles.com/hpc-custom-8fun-mid-drive-conversion-system/
HPC Custom 8fun Mid Drive Conversion System
$1,599.00 WTF?
DSC05845__36847.1400029502.1280.1280.JPG

Here's what they say:
At Hi Power Cycles, we constantly innovate to provide our customers with the best selection of electric systems to fit their lifestlye and needs. We saw great potential in the 8fun mid drive system and went about perfecting it in the ways we only know how to do! We have tested these on 3,000 + foot elevation climbs and they perform beautifully. If you have hills to conquer or want a nice integrated conversion that you can control the torque and speed then this is the system for you!

These units come with the following changes: 1) custom programming (these offer 5 speed of pedal assist, a throttle only mode, and ability to use the full power throttle in any pedal assist mode) 2.) A higher power output than the standard 8fun systems 3) Extended Speed Sensor Cable 4) Custom Anodized Aluminum Spider with high quality single speed anodized crank + custom mounting hardware. We have added approximately 25% more torque than the stock system, made the system run cooler/more efficient and minimized chain problems.

We have tested these units with our dynojet dynamometer in our shop and the results were very positive! Please look at the last picture for actual dyno of this system on one of our bikes.

img_5697-300x300.jpg

Thanks to Pexlo in this thread, here is a heads-up on a 42t chain ring which does not require an adaptor for the Bafang BBS. The chain ring is supplied by an Italian LBS €79.00 plus postage so not cheap that is for sure.

Regards
Andrew

dirkdiggler said:
This looks interesting -
$1,599.00 WTF?
DSC05845__36847.1400029502.1280.1280.JPG

Here's what they say:
At Hi Power Cycles, we constantly innovate to provide our customers with the best selection of electric systems to fit their lifestlye and needs. We saw great potential in the 8fun mid drive system and went about perfecting it in the ways we only know how to do! We have tested these on 3,000 + foot elevation climbs and they perform beautifully. If you have hills to conquer or want a nice integrated conversion that you can control the torque and speed then this is the system for you!

These units come with the following changes: 1) custom programming (these offer 5 speed of pedal assist, a throttle only mode, and ability to use the full power throttle in any pedal assist mode) 2.) A higher power output than the standard 8fun systems 3) Extended Speed Sensor Cable 4) Custom Anodized Aluminum Spider with high quality single speed anodized crank + custom mounting hardware. We have added approximately 25% more torque than the stock system, made the system run cooler/more efficient and minimized chain problems.

We have tested these units with our dynojet dynamometer in our shop and the results were very positive! Please look at the last picture for actual dyno of this system on one of our bikes.

Of course you're gonna have more torque with a smaller chainring. The part which says perfecting it in the ways we only know how to do! What a JOKE!

What it should say is OVERPRICING AND OVER RATING in the ways we only know how to do!

tomjasz said:
I went to GBK thinking I'd make a small order to see just how they service their customers. I found them responsive to email, but never really providing direct answers to their shipping policy. For example, I ordered a BBS01 gear set, sensor extension cord, and lock ring kit. After a bit of thought I remembered that some else had been looking for and extension and it would be nice to get a $1.50 lock ring kit to send to my folks at Fastenal to see if there were solutions for the 73mm BB install. Was I surprised when I found that adding a $1.50 lock ring weighing just a few grams increased the shipping cost by $8. Adding a second cord doubled the order shipping. I also checked rates and did calculations and discovered that while there is an increase in cost it is nowhere near as substantial as the increases automatically added to the cart. I gotta say this EBike business model with GBK, the inability to reach other suppliers for days is a deal breaker for potential adopters. But thinking a bit harder, and after visiting all the local bike shops, Ebikes are a bomb, not the bomb, here and across much of America! What a shame!

Nice, i discovered the same thing and wonder if anyone else would notice it.
I think they make money with the shipping costs.
A single motor is cheaper than the same weight of many gearing wheels compared to the shipping costs.
I wrote them an email with that and they say its because the gearing wheels are heavier than written.
Thats nonsens......i measured the gearing wheels i ordered besides a bbs01.

When you look at the fedex page, you will notice that it is cheaper (per pound or kilogram) to order more weight, but not when you order via gbk.

GBK parts took 14 days. BBS01-2 lock rings are old style. Nothing wrong with that. But their shipping markups are outrageous. An added sensor extension weighs in at 13 grams yet the shipping increases more than $7.00.

The entire order weighed 160 grams or 5.65 oz. for $16.86 it came in the same size box as my neodymium batteries that weighed 30% more and were shipped free for a total of $4.95. It came China post not USPS as selected.

People, while we want support for parts, it's not fair to buy from China and then expect a USA reseller to support your parts needs. IMO pay now or pay later. Save 10-20% buying from China and then expecting a stateside dealer to support yours parts needs is just plain misguided and, well, dumb. Would you run your business that way? FFS!

FREE LUNCH TOMORROW

THe sign has hung on every office I've ever sat in.

dirkdiggler said:
This looks interesting -
$1,599.00 WTF?

You know, with the battery this isnt quite as outlandish as i thought at first glance.
Went to Lectriccycles to compare

They have their batts at 575 and motor at 725, thats 1300 for the 36v system.

now for that 300 dollar markup your getting a batt bag, 40t chain ring and adapter, and speed sensor extension from hpc.
That chain ring needs to have options imo. 40t on a mtn bike is one thing. but for a road bike thats going to be slow as crap especially if it has a 20 inch rear wheel.

Is the 300 worth it? Depends on customer service/shipping. But for someone thats wanting a throw on kit, ive seen worse. Ill hold judgement till i see the 1200 watt system/cost.

Both of my purchases have worked out well. EM3ev responded in 24 hours, and has sent replacement parts to shipper. I expect my replacement C961 tracking in a few days. I'm assuming the shipment contains both failed components. Mean while since i liked the thumb throttle supplied by Lectric Cycle better so I ordered a replacement at my expense to have a spare in my kit. LaGrand responded within 12 hours and within 24 it was shipped and 3 days later it's installed. Since these bikes are my only personal transportation, i'm unable to drive a cage or MC, it's a great relief to know parts are 72-96 hours away. Making the premium paid worth every cent. My only disappointment is in my battery choices. While the batteries have a clean look i think the overall increase in distance potential and price point of Ping batteries would have made m happier. Everyone said I'd like to go faster, but not so, I'd like to go further and longer. But I'm still ignorant of battery issues and specs. So much to learn...

tomjasz said:
My only disappointment is in my battery choices. While the batteries have a clean look i think the overall increase in distance potential and price point of Ping batteries would have made m happier. Everyone said I'd like to go faster, but not so, I'd like to go further and longer. But I'm still ignorant of battery issues and specs. So much to learn...
One of the primary benefits of RC style LiPo packs is their scalability. With my custom pack it is just a matter of adding another few $25 packs of 4S - 5Ah to increase range. and if I decide to change motor and controller and want a higher voltage I just need to rewire the harness, which now takes me <30 minutes at my soldering station.

Is there someone producing harnesses, if thats correct nomenclature, or wiring kits? At this juncture it seems almost overwhelmingly complex. I do like the idea and will need to learn the ropes eventually to keep my rides sustainable and to afford new builds. My VespaGTS250 sale funding this first foray, but I'm addicted and already have ideas to go back at the Trek build. What is my best route for learning or resource for guidance. Am I asking to much to find a clear path to follow? I' reading everything I can find but for a n00b it's confusing. Balancing, proper BMS, appropriate chargers, and more to learn.

Thanks!

Thanks I'm going to invest in some phone time with icecube57, he seems like a really cool fellow!

A stunning 6 day turn around on replacement parts from EM3ev. Cell_Man provided replacements for unit purchased from him in what I consider amazing form and time. Undoubtedly the best China source for BBS01-2 mid drives and support. Thanks Paul! My cargo build will be with EM3ev!

From EM3ev posting on BBS01 controller,

"This a replacement controller intended for the 36V Bafang BBS01, it can be used with either the 250W, 350W or 500W version BBS01/2. This is actually a 25A controller, but it will be programmed for lower current as required. As can be seen in the images, the controller includes a section of the motor housing and all connnections. It may be necessary to change the battery supply connections, it does not come with the molded waterproof supply connection. The connections, housing etc do add quite a bit of cost, so it is relatively expensive.The sealed PCB makes them rather difficult to do a DIY repair, so it is much more practicle to simply swap the controller section.

The standard settings are as follows:

25A rated (lower settings are available, as per the option).
LVC (low voltage cut) 30V, suitable for 36V battery. Not suitable for 48V.
Will be configured so the throttle gives 100% assist no matter which assist level is selected.
Number of assist levels are adjustable by the display.
Wheel size can be adjusted from the display.
Speed limit can be set via the display.

Which parts do you have in your backup parts bin? Any one keep a clutch assembly or read reports of their failure? I need some other bits and thought for the cost of shipping from China I might through in other parts.

So far I have spares,

Thumb throttle
Plastic Gear
Lock rings (V1) No good reason other than they were an ultra cheap order add on.
Sensor cable extension
C961

Back